Mini hopper build

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Mini hopper build

Postby GPW » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:22 am

Salvage !!! 8) :thumbsup: Amazing what people throw away ... :o
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby JThompson » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:55 pm

Been a while, lots of stuff going on over the winter..
BUT... I had to get out so we took the dogs and the kid and headed up to lake strom thurmond for the weekend. :D
Put in some new doors with Wilie windows. need to put trim over the edges and add weather seal. But even at 29F we were comfortable with a couple blankets and two dogs. The spring is going to bring a few more changes, a solid rear hatch, lights, a car radio and speakers, and a place for the solar charger and battery. - :thinking:
and a new red and white paint scheme.
* in here, some of my dreams become realities, and some of my realities become dreams* - Willy Wonka
JThompson
Teardrop Advisor

Postby JThompson » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:03 pm

A few more months and a remodel have happened.. We stopped at a yard sale and found two pedestal drawers for under a washer and dryer for $40.. well that prompted a remodel to get them into the back of the foamie.. then we installed shore power, 12 battery power.. inverter power.. 2 marine batteries on a bracket under the frame.. lights, stereo, speakers.. paint.. uhm..a new bi- fold hatch for the galley.. a piece that comes off to become a table.. all sorts of stuff.. and we've been camping.. so heres the photographic proof
133917 the new green paint job..
133916 galley complete with drawers, shelf and lighting
133914 lighting above the doors inside.. its LED from walmart for cars
133913 new rear knee wall and shelf.. more shelves coming soon.. BTW baby oil gets polyurathane out of your hair..I sealed the wood. OH and there is 110 power both shore and from the inverter
133912 12v and USB power on both sides of the bed in the front.. and last but not least..
133911 the new front end.. had to removed/modify the front bulkhead and move the bed forward 13 inches. so there are shelves.. speakers.. and niftty green plaid wall paper. Gets better every time and people come to see everywhere we go
* in here, some of my dreams become realities, and some of my realities become dreams* - Willy Wonka
JThompson
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:30 am

Wow !!! That’s a Lot of Changes ..... NICE !!! :thumbsup: 8) :D

If you could please tell us more about removing and modifying the front end .... we always thought that would be a fairly easy thing to do ... foam and all ... Your thoughts ? :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby JThompson » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:47 am

Actually.. I just cut away everything I didnt want or need ( and a piece it turned out I did need).. the got out the gorilla glue, knife and some toothpicks. Cut new foam pieces for my new front end and glued them in. I didnt have to modify the outer wall or cut the canvas. the former front bulk head went from useable storage to a 3 inch wide chase for the new electrical system at the bottom and basically wide enough to become a speaker box at the top. I'm finding it really easy to cut and remodel anything I want with the foam
JThompson
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:43 am

QUOTE: " I'm finding it really easy to cut and remodel anything I want with the foam “ ..... That’s one of the main advantages of foam ... And as you can imagine , makes any REPAIRS easy too ... :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Shar » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:08 pm

Looking great! It's been satisfying to see your project reach completion.
Sheryl
If all these people did it, so can I.
My build thread: Hybrid Foamie in Southern Alberta
Shar
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Foamies