Mini hopper build

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Mini hopper build

Postby Papi » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:16 pm

I like the high visibility scheme! The way people drive around here, you'd need it. :?
As for looking underneath, the only person to look under mine is my neighbor, who is also building a teardrop.

I started painting mine with a can of mismatched paint (Disney sky blue) that was on a 100% off sale - somebody mixed and paid for 2 gallons then changed their mind. After painting one side, the missus said "Nope" so when the weather clears I have to repaint in Coleman lantern green. :cry:

Looks like you're off to a good start.
I dream of a day when a chicken can cross the road without having his motives questioned.
Papi
Teardrop Master

Postby Shar » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:41 pm

That's what I call progress!
Sheryl
If all these people did it, so can I.
My build thread: Hybrid Foamie in Southern Alberta
Shar
Teardrop Master

Postby JThompson » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:51 pm

thanks Shar,

we're gone this weekend to alabama. But next week the cabinets get cut and installed and we continue the debate on the roof. Hail is apparently a issue around here, and where we are going to be living in 5 years. So I'm thinking of 3/4 inch foam with luan plywood on the outside just to make it a bit more durable
:thinking: Also did a little test. I got some 10 oz canvas and layered 4 layers of 250tc bed sheets together with TBII.. tied both to a rope and to cinder blocks. ( so much for scientific) the 4 layers of sheets held just as much weight as the canvas. tried it two ways.. one with the grain and one on the bias. On the bias the sheets held better by one block..due to not aligning the sheets I think. So since I have this huge pile of king sized sheets here.. I might cover her in 4 - 5 layers of sheets instead of canvas
* in here, some of my dreams become realities, and some of my realities become dreams* - Willy Wonka
JThompson
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:21 am

Sheets are quite strong really , and several are certainly good enough for a skin ... Twice as thick is 8 times as strong ...Thrifty if you already have them !!! 8) We used sheets inside on the Foamie #1 and it was Amazing how much one sheet alone stiffened a piece of 2” foam .. :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby JThompson » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:36 am

Augusta is the land of hospitals, and there is a huge laundry that does all the sheets for them and for the hotels here. Anything they cant make 100% white gets tossed. But I talked to one of the supervisors and he's setting them aside for me $5 for a box of around 50 sheets. So layers for the outside, and 1 -2 layers for the inside then deco podge on maps for the inside. I used the link for get it free to get all sorts of state and tourist maps
* in here, some of my dreams become realities, and some of my realities become dreams* - Willy Wonka
JThompson
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Shar » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:01 am

Very practical plan, and the maps should look cool on the inside!
Sheryl
Shar
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Thu May 01, 2014 7:24 am

Wow JT , what a Deal !!! :thumbsup: 8) :D Now That’s THRIFTY !!! :applause: :beer:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby JThompson » Sat May 10, 2014 8:21 pm

got some progress today.
120041 walls up. inside walls installed and bulkhead walls installed
JThompson
Teardrop Advisor

Postby atahoekid » Sat May 10, 2014 8:28 pm

Nice Progress!! Keep up the good work :beer:
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Sat May 10, 2014 9:27 pm

WOW you are doing great , keep up the good work!!!

Mary C. :lady:
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Sun May 11, 2014 4:42 am

:thumbsup: 8) :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby JThompson » Mon May 12, 2014 10:27 am

so one step forward..
and one step back.

I.. wanted to put the roof on from the BACK to the front.. Seeing as how there are no jack stands under the back of the trailer just yet... And that way I could stand infront of the axel and put on the first 4 foot sheet... Which is not what happened sunday.. :roll:
Himself.. started putting it on the other way.. got to the second sheet.. had to stand BEHIND the axel.... The trailer tipped.. he fell backwards.. hit the 1 inch foam kitchen bulkhead wall... and ripped it and half the side wall free of the trailer bed. No broken foam- no man on his can on the ground.. it held him upright long enough for him to get his footing...I'm amazed at how strong that stuff is he is NOT a small, light guy. So I get to fix it this week, draw out the plywood pieces for the galley and go get the 2 x 2's for framing that I had wanted last weekend..

A good friend reminded me of something. " Remember, your dyslexic. You see things differently, in 3 dimensions when the rest of us only see in 2.. Be patient with us" Learning exactly how true that is right now. ;)
JThompson
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Mary C » Mon May 12, 2014 10:44 am

As women we think differently, I have always thought in terms of levels fulcrums and ways to lift and do things with less braun. guyes for the most part think braun just put it there " we think of ways to lift put in place and work through the weight vs man thru foam concept. I hope his pride is not too shattered and believe it or not sometimes it happens to all of us. Oh I have found by accident that a cooler put under the back of the HF trailer will help to keep it from tipping and will help level the trailer when you disconnect from the car. I found out by accident on my camping trip. I thought the cooler was further back but it is just the level height. when the ball in front is cranked up enough to clear the ball on my car. I didn't realize it till breakfast the next morning.

Mary C.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby JThompson » Wed May 14, 2014 2:26 pm

Did a test on the bed sheet idea instead of canvas. Works GREAT! 3 layers of sheet, with TBII on it.. hit 5 times on the same spot with a framing hammer.. cant find a dent or a hole on the fabric covered side. Cant miss the hole on the non covered side
:D

120175 :thumbsup:
JThompson
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Shar » Wed May 14, 2014 5:54 pm

Impressive!
Sheryl
Shar
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies