Mini hopper build

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Mini hopper build

Postby bonnie » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:17 pm

Love it. Bright and cheerful.
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby lthomas987 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:10 pm

I love the curves and the colors! Nobody will be able to say they didn't see you coming! I am actually thinking of white and navy with a bit of that lime green.
Laura
Bike-Drop a Micro-Foamy Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=59274
My first Superlegarra-ish Foamy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=59049
lthomas987
Donating Member

Postby JThompson » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:21 am

I did iron the bubbles out. three times. They come back every time the temp hits 95+ when it cools off this fall I'm planning on a needle and glue to try and smooth and keep them down.
To be honest though? they really dont bother me too much and its only on this one side it did it. ( the side with all the repairs from the storm, and the side that got the sunshine while the canvas was going on, and the side that I had a whole bunch of "help" with that didnt want to listen)...
:roll:
* in here, some of my dreams become realities, and some of my realities become dreams* - Willy Wonka
JThompson
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:02 pm

Needle and glue will likely do it .... sounds like the area is glue starved , and will be easy to fix by glue injection .... forever... :thumbsup: Just a little hole is all you need to make in the skin ...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:24 pm

You know, you hear that old trick about using a syringe to inject glue, but when I actually went to try it I found that the glue was too thick to actually squeeze thru the little needle. (I was using veterinary supplied stuff with a small needle that had been supplied for our cat.)

Perhaps a meat baster/marinade injector with a big bore needle would work better? :thinking:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby lthomas987 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:11 pm

Also from the data sheets from TB2 adding 5% water by volume cuts the viscosity in half. That should make it flow better when you do inject it.
Laura
Bike-Drop a Micro-Foamy Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=59274
My first Superlegarra-ish Foamy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=59049
lthomas987
Donating Member

Postby Shar » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:14 pm

I will have to try this technique some time, 'cause there are bubbles on mine as well! It sounds like one needs the right ratio of syringe size/viscosity of glue. Should be workable. :thumbsup:
Sheryl
If all these people did it, so can I.
My build thread: Hybrid Foamie in Southern Alberta
Shar
Teardrop Master

Postby JThompson » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:52 pm

I'm using a large bore needle. Got it at tractor supply for vet use. Might even take a try with the Cajun Flavor injector, we have tons of them laying about here. shooting the glue in thinned then putting a board and prop on the outside to get it to adhere. But still waiting till it drops below the upper 80's to do it. Everything down here shrinks and contracts with the stupid heat. been over 100 for the past 4 days

With some luck.. not finished its going for its maiden run friday. Up to strom thurmond lake to enjoy a quiet weekend
* in here, some of my dreams become realities, and some of my realities become dreams* - Willy Wonka
JThompson
Teardrop Advisor

Postby JThompson » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:51 pm

front bulkhead finished.. just needs a few coats of varnish.. and some trim work...

thats what 6 bottles of Elmers school glue, and a atlas looks like as 1940's wallpaper.. I kinda like it. Makes the inside seem bigger because your eye never sits still.

Camping Friday, sat and sunday in it..we'll see what works, and what doesnt supposed to be good warm weather. I need to camp dang it.
JThompson
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:25 pm

Looks very “navigational “ , and most appropriate, somehow giving it the “feeling” of a ship’s cabin ... :thumbsup: 8) :applause:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby JThompson » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:22 am

WOOT! She pulls like a dream, no shaking, no shimmy.. no sway. And.. it didnt fall apart over horrible back roads like some thought and told me it would do!!!.. :D

Camped at Lake Strom Thurmond. 70,000 acres of water. 6 corps of engineers campgrounds..more natural areas.. beautiful site out in the primitive area which is a little island in the lake with a one car causeway to get to it. 6 sites all tents except us. nothing over 15 feet is allowed out there because it cant turn around.

beautiful lake
and the high tech galley.. the tarp covering the back serves double duty as a awning. kept out a downpour on saturday night that soaked all the tents around us. adding a plywood door to the bottom third so that the monster camp chef stove has a secure home. the tarp is held down for travel with bungee cords attached to the sides.. a wire shelf will be installed in the top that fits two ways horizontal as a shelf for storage while camping.. and vertical as a wall to keep things from jumping off while traveling. A support bar is being sewn into a pocket on the tarp to make it a bit more rigid
Tried a gull wing door.. it works but not sure if its the final solution yet. it was a fast slap togeather so we could go camping. as it turned out the door for the other side was just out of square enough it wouldnt fit so that side went with just a screen door We put up the fly because of torrential down pours sat night and 90% chance of a repeat sunday.. the nice thing about the tarp back.. it folds out of the way easy . Of course once we had the fly up.. no more rain
Inside.. home sweet home.. dry.. comfortable even when it was 97.. the little battery fan is going to get a friend.. a 5 gallon bucket red neck air conditioner for those horrid nights it fits up on the bulk head and should cool the place nicely

ready to work some more now so we can go camp at Bussey Point. tons of trails for the dogs and the kid to hike and hammock camp while the old folks sit and fish
JThompson
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:33 am

That looks like FUN !!! :thumbsup: 8) :D Something to be said for building/designing as you go ... "You get what you need " !!! :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Shar » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:27 pm

Congratulations! You are campable. :thumbsup:
Sheryl
If all these people did it, so can I.
My build thread: Hybrid Foamie in Southern Alberta
Shar
Teardrop Master

Postby JThompson » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:15 pm

SCORE!!! Driving home across Augusta yesterday, I saw a heap on the side of the road where they were redoing a old house. On the top of it was a 6 foot wide roll of vinyl flooring.. there is more then enough to do my whole trailer. Inside As well as the galley . Its still wrapped up from home depot with paper in between the layers and everything.
:applause:
JThompson
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bonnie » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:57 pm

:thumbsup:

JThompson wrote:SCORE!!! Driving home across Augusta yesterday, I saw a heap on the side of the road where they were redoing a old house. On the top of it was a 6 foot wide roll of vinyl flooring.. there is more then enough to do my whole trailer. Inside As well as the galley . Its still wrapped up from home depot with paper in between the layers and everything.
:applause:
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies