Questions for you foamaholics

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Questions for you foamaholics

Postby GPW » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:20 pm

And in addition to what George said so well, I like to make drawings to work out the details ahead of time ... :thinking: Here’s one I did this morning of an ultra simple Foamie' Camper.
Attachments
SFC ...trailer.png
SFC ...trailer.png (40.23 KiB) Viewed 376 times
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Hartse25 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:42 pm

GPW,
I was playing with some designs tonight, mine are on paper, I haven't done computer drafting since college. I like the shape of the benroy, but making the kerfs worries me a little. I was directed to look at the old grasshoppers and I liked the design from a build stand point, all straight lines. Yours is even easier than what I was thinking. If I make the roof flat, or even mostly flat, do I need to put in roof spars from 1x2s, or can I go without? Or maybe something else? I've been taking a lot of notes and trying to take everything in, there's a lot of info here.

Erin
Hartse25
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:43 am

I don’t really believe a spar(s) are necessary on the roof ,as long as the roof foam is skinned on inside and outside ... But if you wanted to hang something from the roof (lights, etc.) then a spar would be handy for attachment ... All in what you need really !!! :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby kudzu » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:21 am

Hartse25 wrote: If I make the roof flat, or even mostly flat, do I need to put in roof spars from 1x2s, or can I go without? Or maybe something else?

How wide would you build? That could be a factor. I'd want some wood in the roof for the reason GPW mentions, a place to hang things. I like to keep my options open. :)
kudzu
Donating Member

Postby ghcoe » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:34 am

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Last edited by ghcoe on Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ghcoe » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:37 am

My trailer is 5' wide. When I cut out the section for the vent I examined the roof strength there. I think if I did anything over 5' I would use a support of some sort in areas that did not have a close bulkhead or curve in the roof. I am spanning 5' wall to wall and about 4' feet from the end of the front radius to the bulk head and it is getting a bit flexy at the vent cutout. Nothing to worry about for this build, I have not skinned the interior or exterior yet, but any wider I would probably be putting in a support of some sort.
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Hartse25 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:13 pm

My trailer is 5 x 10 and I was hoping to build it 5 feet tall. That's not quite tall enough for me to stand up in, but it's tall enough that I don't need to lie down to out on my pants. It sounds like putting in at least some spars would not be a bad idea. I do want some lighting too. I'm uploading a picture of a couple of plans that I have been working on. The bottom was my original idea, but then George posted a link to the grasshoppers and I made the top one.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (175.96 KiB) Viewed 271 times
Hartse25
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Foamies