Removable foam roof on TTT

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Removable foam roof on TTT

Postby scrap_maker » Fri May 23, 2014 5:30 pm

I am designing a TTT with a removable roof made from foam.

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=59848

Given the vast foam experience in this forum, I was wondering if you can take a look at the roof and the roof-to-wall attachment design to see if it's feasible? Is there anything I should be concerned about? Any gotchas? Etc.
scrap_maker
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Removable foam roof on TTT

Postby GPW » Sat May 24, 2014 7:20 am

Scrappy’ ... although a Cool idea , it looks scary tall :frightened: We’re just getting over Catherine’s tall trailer being blown over in a crosswind.... :o There seem to be some Safe and practical limits as to trailer width to height... maybe you could make it as an interlocking outer shell that could be raised and lowered (for towing,garaging) as needed... :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Re: Removable foam roof on TTT

Postby S. Heisley » Sun May 25, 2014 12:29 am

GPW wrote:Scrappy’ ... although a Cool idea , it looks scary tall :frightened: We’re just getting over Catherine’s tall trailer being blown over in a crosswind.... :o There seem to be some Safe and practical limits as to trailer width to height... maybe you could make it as an interlocking outer shell that could be raised and lowered (for towing,garaging) as needed... :thinking:

This one is a Hybrid foamie...not all foam. The stationary parts of this one are going to be made with the conventional 1x2 stick frame and plywood and only the top 2 feet or so will be foam; so, unlike Catherine's, it should have a heavy enough base to keep the trailer on the road. I'm more concerned that, if not done well, the removable foamie roof could become a parasail or something of that sort. However, traveling at high speeds in strong winds can topple even a semi-truck.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Return to Foamies