Nookery Updates -- 25 Oct Update. Working on the galley

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Nookery Updates -- I am Campable and I have AC.

Postby eaglesdare » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:51 am

so far so good. Glad this is working out so well for you!
:wine:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:30 pm

So, I'm done with errands for a moment. I will try again to post an update.

The AC is from my youngest's college days. It's probably on it's last leg or two. It works pretty well, but is noisy and vibrates the Nookery when running. It took Daisy half the night to quit jumping when the AC kicked on. Which of course, woke me up, too. :lol:

The cushions are too narrow and I ended up in the valley between them twice during the first night Daisy and I slept in the trailer.I
Today, I will be mailing the fabric off to get a trifold mattress made 43"x 72". I should have it by the Land of Lincoln event in September.

The extra space will allow me to have a headboard storage area. It won't happen this camping season, so I have two Euro sized pillows to use instead.

I've been running around trying to gather kitchen stuff and have struck on an idea for a front galley pull out on the tongue. I'll make another post to give you and idea of what I mean. :)
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:02 am

“ a front galley pull out on the tongue “ ... Huh , What ??? :o How you gonna’ do that ???

Soon as summer is over, the small ACs go on sale ... :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby tac422 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:46 am

Just remember to check the height if you replace your AC :)
tac422
500 Club

Postby Mary C » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:15 pm

Great work Bonnie Congratulations!! :applause: :applause: :applause: :wine:

Mary C.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bonnie » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:20 pm

GPW wrote:“ a front galley pull out on the tongue “ ... Huh , What ??? :o How you gonna’ do that ???

Soon as summer is over, the small ACs go on sale ... :thinking:

Well, I would need to build it in two pieces. One would be a 12" H x 18" W x 48" L An basic box to hold chairs, poles, etc. This one is needed to have the galley height correct. It would be wood and foam construction, sort of like KC's walls. Canvas covered, of course and painted to blend with the Nookery's colors.

The 2nd piece would be the actual galley part: One box that would be 24" H x 18" W x 32" L. It will pivot to the door side of the Nookery, be braced on the box and the frame and/or ground with legs.

Here's what's inspired this madness: A Chuck box

Closed:

Open empty:

Open filled:

The pivot is rated for 200lbs and looks like this:

I got to thinking 8) that if I could make a chuckbox, I might be able to mount it to the tongue and use it like you would a galley. There won't be a big battery or a propane tank, so I'm looking at the entire thing being about 150lbs max with stuff. The porta pot, AC and other things: coolers, tubs and CI will ride in the Nookery. I think I can load it in such a way as to make it ride just fine. :worship:

I mocked one up out of cardboard to the plans for the chuckbox pictured. I am using sterlite modular shelves to build up the inside. If I build the actual box out of 2" foam and minimal wood it should remain pretty light. One thing I'm trying to decide is if I can wrangle my little microwave in there somehow.

This could also end up being just a pipe dream, but I thought I'd throw it out there for suggestions. I saw a teardrop/ttt with a front galley at the last CRA. Pretty slick.

So what do you think? Just make the chuckbox? Eat PBJ sandwiches?

BTW, truck bed is out. It hits me near chest level -- be kinda hard to cook. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:53 am

Bonnie, given the small space , I’d make a list of only the ESSENTIAL cooking requirements and design the box around that ... SIMPLE is always the best way to go ...
Ps. We have a small toaster oven in the FS , no need for a bigger microwave (and it browns) ... That and since we’ll be “camping” , we don’t plan on exotic meals , just camping food ... Besides , on my “bird food” Diet , it’s mostly grazing in the produce aisle , greens, vegetables, fruits , nuts , berries... nothing that needs cooking anyway ... :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:43 am

GPW wrote:Bonnie, given the small space , I’d make a list of only the ESSENTIAL cooking requirements and design the box around that ... SIMPLE is always the best way to go ...
Ps. We have a small toaster oven in the FS , no need for a bigger microwave (and it browns) ... That and since we’ll be “camping” , we don’t plan on exotic meals , just camping food ... Besides , on my “bird food” Diet , it’s mostly grazing in the produce aisle , greens, vegetables, fruits , nuts , berries... nothing that needs cooking anyway ... :roll:

I'm doing that, I think. I plan on eating simply, but I do like to cook. I keep going back and forth between a microwave, which I already own and a toaster oven, which I would have to buy. I have a Toaster Oven, but it has recently died. Thing is, I might do neither. Then I'd need a popcorn popper for the fire. :lol:

I'm trying to be conservative with my cooking/galley project, but it would clear up some of the storage issues and I might be able to find everything. I don't have much room in the cab of the truck. If Daisy goes with me, there will be no room. :D
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:18 am

Bonnie , I really LOVE to cook , and do ALL the cooking at home ... (wife not allowed in the kitchens , a known cooking menace... :o ) But for camping or EVAC, I like to keep it super simple ... I can always cook whatever I want at home ... ;) No need to drag all that stuff on the road ... Think what you would take if you were Hiking :thinking: ...

I know a lot of the conventional Teardroppers have fully equipped galleys and prepare large elaborate meals on the road , but for me that’s just NOT camping ... Might as well rent a Kitchenette’ or go to a restaurant ... :roll: Whatever happened to “roughing it” ..??? :NC
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:32 am

Congratulations, Bonnie, on your garage camping. Sorry you lost your original post and pictures...happens sometimes. Daisy, the wonder dog seems to be enjoying the adventure. It will be even more fun, for you and your readers, when you go out on a camping trip somewhere and then post pictures!

When you build your front galley, consider not only the box; but also the weight of its contents, especially if you add any cast iron. (It seems that you've already thought of that; but, others may read this who have not.)

Oh, and these home builds are never done. I still find myself adding and thinking of adding things here and there and I've been using mine for 3 years! But then, that's part of the fun, too.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby bonnie » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:18 pm

First for sure camping trip is the weekend after Labor Day. There will be :pictures: . Daisy won't be making the trip, but she will eventually. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby Shar » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:26 pm

Chuck boxes are so cool! :dancing
Sheryl
If all these people did it, so can I.
My build thread: Hybrid Foamie in Southern Alberta
Shar
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:15 am

Bonnie , we thought several times of just putting one of those cheap HF cargo boxes (or similar) bolted on the front , and keeping all the “outside" cooking stuff + in there... Simple ... and the plastic ones are pretty light ... :thinking: Stuff like a microwave (do you really need one? ) ) corn popper, coffee maker, EZ bake oven , you might want to keep inside on your shelf... (electrical stuff)
With just you (and the dog) there’s still plenty of space to add and store things inside ... I use those stacking milk crates for extra storage , because they’re handy and easy to load up and carry ... For stuff that might fall through the holes , you can line the crate with a plastic garbage bag .. ;)

Ps. shopping for little AC units , we’ve found some just work much BETTER /quieter than others... (same prices too) See if you can see/listen to one operating (in the store) Before you buy it and have to return it for being a noisy vibrating beast :frightened: ... reading the reviews helps too, but you never know if they are biased of not ... :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:47 pm

true enough. I am taking my time deciding. A chuck box of some sort is a must. I need to make the outdoor kitchen stuff as organized as possible. Not sure what I'm going to do.

I did get the foam in and it's just what I wanted. I ended up using a local foam place and paying a bit more, but the foam is so nice, I don't care. I will be making covers again, this time in a nice rosey floral. I hope they are fully done by Tears by The River. I'll still be using the foam, even if the covers aren't done.

8)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:24 pm

:thumbsup: 8) ... :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies