Nookery Updates -- 25 Oct Update. Working on the galley

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Nookery Updates -- window update

Postby Ned B » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:19 am

GPW wrote:Maybe toss some special dog treats in there ... That’s always an enticement ... :D One thing we found , if we put the dog bed most anywhere the dog will go lay in it ... A familiar comfortable place , and treats usually makes them feel at home ... Used that before on EVAC... Usually works for me too ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hmmm... 'treats' for GPW... :beer: ?

Bonnie, the AC hatch install looks first rate, enjoy!
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Nookery Updates -- AC Hatch

Postby tac422 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:53 am

bonnie wrote: I want to give public thanks to tac442 for posting his install

Awww... now I'm gonna blush ! :lol:

Your install looks great !! :applause:
I didn't have a trim ring either (it just looks like I do because of an inner lip ) so I added a couple of pieces of angle iron as seen here. I just used a couple screws into the door frame to make a "sandwich" with a foam filling. I probably didn't need them.

If you're using a cabinet to set the AC on, you might need to bolt it down, as the weight of the AC will be hanging off the cabinet. :thinking:
tac422
500 Club

Re: Nookery Updates -- AC Hatch

Postby bonnie » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:24 am

tac422 wrote:
bonnie wrote:

If you're using a cabinet to set the AC on, you might need to bolt it down, as the weight of the AC will be hanging off the cabinet. :thinking:

Thanks for the kind words. I am planning on bolting the cabinet to the floor. I've used the foam filler in one of my windows, when the AC was out. It worked really well. I'm hoping this will stand up to the task. 8)
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Re: Nookery Updates -- I am Campable

Postby bonnie » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:50 am

I am declaring Nookery campable. Not done mind you, I don't think it will ever be done with a big D, but done enough. :lol:

I have electric:

The Trailer shop did an excellent job. I really wanted to use the Marinco outlet, but I'm probably going to disassemble it and just use the cap. I hunted around HD to find a waterproof cover to use inside the trailer to hinder bugs and such from unexpected visits. What I found was very nearly perfect. It's a TAYMAC ML450G. Low profile and had 16-1 ways to use it. :R Here's a close up of it installed. The cover pops up and I can slide the outlet through to plug it into the park power.

I placed the GFI part under the cabinet, but it's accessible even after I bolt the cabinet to the floor. Here's a picture of the placement. For some reason the hatch looks slightly crooked in the picture, but from the outside it's perfectly level. ? Anyhow, I think this will work fine for the AC and and entertainment stuff. I'm glad that's done. :)

Here's a final picture with the Endless Breeze sitting on the cabinet. Gives you an idea of how the AC will sit. I won't try testing that for another few days, as I want the glue to fully set up. I did, however remount the hatch door. The weather is supposed to be unseasonably cool for the next few days. I am planning on sleeping in the Nookery during that time. Garage camping to try things out, don't cha know. :P

There's a long pick list of little things to do, :designing: but they can wait. :goodmorning:
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:18 am

Bonnie, that’s pretty COOL !!! In fact , you’d better bring a Fur coat when you turn it on ... :o Think : Being inside a large , well insulated Ice chest ... :snowstorm:

Ps. Nice shelf !!! ;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:06 pm

Bonnie,
thtat looks Great!

my experience with glue and Foam is zero. Woodworking glue, however, I'm pretty sure I know something about. TB2 (and TB3) start to set up within half an hour, should be well set within two. In woodworking terms, you have a half an hour max before it begins to set, within 2 hours you can take the clamps off, and leaving it overnight means you can 'work' it (ie, put a glued up cutting board through a planer..). I'm normally not in that big a hurry, so I just leave things in the clamps overnight, but I have waited a few hours, unclamped a cutting board and let It sit overnight while clamping up another board.

My point is, you should be fine putting the AC in.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tac422 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:00 pm

Bonnie ,
What size door did you use ?
I had trouble finding a 2" thick door that would work...
tac422
500 Club

Postby bonnie » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:04 pm

tac422 wrote:Bonnie ,
What size door did you use ?
I had trouble finding a 2" thick door that would work...

24" x 14" x 2" from ebay seller bottomdollarsurplusinc. Took some looking to find what I wanted.
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby tac422 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:22 am

Does the AC fit through the hole ?
I bought 2 different 14" windows from them, but the actual opening was only 12", and my AC is 12-1/4".
So I bought a 15", which barely worked as it has a 12-1/2" actual opening....
But, it worked !
Tac
tac422
500 Club

Re: Nookery Updates -- I am Campable and I have AC.

Postby bonnie » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:08 pm

Tac it does. But then again I have a tiny AC. I think we were bidding on the same hatch at least once. 8)

So today we have a heat index over 100. What do I do? I go out into my garage and install the AC in the hatch window! After much grunting and groaning I got the AC into the hatch. Note to self, you are short. Don't mount hatches for very heavy objects at your eye level. :?

The foam insert didn't fit as designed because the AC doesn't sit on the little cabinet. It sits on the hatch ledge. I did some quick adjustments and the pieces (3) now fit. They fit to the AC very snugly and I am pretty confident it will work. The AC is a noisy little bugger. :p. I'll have to redo the foam parts a bit, so I can fill up some air sliver holes and add some padding to the hatch rim.

The AC is fine, because when I went out there to take the :pictures: cool/cold air rolled out the door to great me. :awesome:

Here's a couple of the required :pictures:

First the AC mounted in the hatch. I used some electrical conduit to keep the cover off the back of the AC. It -- the AC-- seemed really hot on the exhaust end. I hope it's the heat index and getting the Nookery cooled down. Can't say I've ever thought about the exhaust end of a window AC before, let alone worried if it was working correctly. :roll:

and then a shot of the AC from inside:

Good thing this worked. Daisy the wonder dog has discovered the Nookery is okay. She's a regular central heating system by herself, so AC is a must. :lol:

That's my tale of Nookery action for today. I'm exhausted. Gonna sleep in the Nookery tonight. Yup, that's right. Garage camping with all the comforts of home. ;) ;)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:31 am

COOL !!! 8) :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby working on it » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:42 am

bonnie wrote:... the AC-- seemed really hot on the exhaust end. I hope it's the heat index and getting the Nookery cooled down. Can't say I've ever thought about the exhaust end of a window AC before, let alone worried if it was working correctly. :roll:

I had never thought much about the A/C exhaust heat before; specifically about how necessary/critical it is to not allow the heat to interfere with the heat transfer of the refrigerant. I restricted my exhaust too much initially, causing thermal overload and compressor shut-down. It caused me to make several changes to my design to get the system to work properly.
  • 110655 right-angle ducting holds heat in
  • 110653 had to fully open vent to adequately exhaust heat
  • 110651 needed high-flow axial duct fan to achieve results
  • 110148 the operational temperature of exhaust
A thread regarding my woes caused by exhaust heat retention http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=56667&hilit=a%2Fc+problem+thermal Your straight-out exhaust will not have any such consequences!
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Shar » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:06 am

So happy for you, Bonnie! :applause:
Sheryl
If all these people did it, so can I.
My build thread: Hybrid Foamie in Southern Alberta
Shar
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:52 am

So, Bonnie ... how did the garage camping work out ? It must have gotten pretty Cold inside ... 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:05 am

:cry: I had an enormous post and lost it.

Will post again later. Here's a success picture:

AC worked great. Cushions not so much.
bonnie
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies