Pop Up Foamies

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Pop Up Foamies

Postby James06 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:41 pm

atahoekid wrote:unless you are as talented as the fiberglasser of the goldbrand, (I'm not) the body would be easier in canvas. Maybe fiberglass epoxy on the pop up and canvas and glue for the rest of the body. BTW, epoxy and fiberglass are not inexpensive products and can be more difficult to source unless you're OK with buying on the internet and paying shipping or finding a marine supply and paying a small fortune for it.

Those are both concerns of mine as well. I rebuilt the entire back fender and gate of a Cherokee Chief when I was in high school, but that was over 30 years ago. I am sure my ability has slipped somewhat in the last 30 years. Would the drop cloths from Harbor Freight be stout enough, based on your experience? Occasionally they run them for $6 each, so the cost would definitely be less. A friend gave me some drawings for a bunkhouse type tent pop-up last night, so I may look into that as well. The biggest expense there would be getting someone to sew the tent portion.
James06
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:29 am

There are really two schools of thought here... One , fiberglass, beautiful hard finish , more “RV” looking ... Shiny !!! Two is the canvas finish ... not so shiny !!! :roll:

Fiberglass is difficult to do (skill required) , expensive, toxic, and requires mucho' sanding and filling/priming to achieve that super smooth shiny finish (protective clothing/mask is Recommended), and a lot of specialized tools and spray eqpt. too ... Otherwise un-sanded , it looks much like the canvas finish ... and fiberglass is difficult to repair and blend in ... But it is very Pretty, done properly !!!
Canvas is inexpensive , easy , non toxic, and very easy to “patch” ... It’s a Utilitarian finish ... for a no worry camper...
All what You want really .... ;) But I personally think the idea of a pop up camper gets exponentially complicated the more corners you start popping up ... The models where one end of the roof lifts up making a standy' at one end, seem practical and easy to do ... Lifting the entire roof up is much more complicated , requiring a “mechanism” , unless you have a couple strong arms around to do the lifting . And then adding a tent structure to it like a regular commercial pop up , seems to stray far from the idea of a foamie' in general. :o
If you want a big trailer just build one ... not a complicated swiss army trailer .... JMHO FWIW (am I repeating myself again :roll: ... this has all been stated before )
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:42 am

You can get a bit of sheen on the canvas by using high gloss enamel. Seems paint companies recommend it for "professional" use but it really isn't any harder to use. the canvas does have a rougher finish but after applying it, I kinda like it
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby James06 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:20 pm

I did a bad thing. I found a tent trailer for $750 that's in pretty good shape, so the foamy will be on the back burner for the foreseeable future. It was too hard to pass this one up.

It weighs 290 pounds with a 25 pound tongue weight.
James06
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Jst83 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:57 am

And when it reaches the end of it's life you can recycle the trailer for a foamie :thumbsup:
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby GPW » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:31 am

Good thinking Scott!!! 8) Wonder if you could add a Foamie shell over where the tent is, using the original “box” ...? :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby James06 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:51 am

That's a good plan! :thumbsup:
James06
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to Foamies