Pop Up Foamies

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Pop Up Foamies

Postby James06 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:16 am

I've looked on here (probably not thoroughly enough) but haven't seen this idea. Has anyone thought about a way to make their foamy taller when camping? I'm claustrophobic. I am thinking about a teardrop or pod foamy to pull behind the motorcycle. I bet the thing wouldn't weigh 200 pounds. I currently have a car-top carrier mounted on a harbor Freight 40X48 trailer frame, but am too old to tent camp. I wake up way too sore in the mornings. I am thinking about the foamy idea, maybe with aluminum tubes in the corners to somehow raise up the top section when I get there. I am thinking a finished product of 40" wide, about 7' long, and maybe 5' tall when extended. the thought I am running around my head for a door is similar to a pup-up camper door. I made the first purchase last weekend, Harbor Freight had their canvas drop cloths on sale for $6 each, so I bought a couple. When they go on sale again, I'll buy a couple more. I probably wouldn't start this project until late fall/winter, but I cant get it out of my head. You guys and gals are addictive!
James06
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Pop Up Foamies

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:46 pm

Take a look here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=50969

While many of these are conventional plywood, I should think they could also be made as a foamie or hybrid foamie.

Dale (Cracker39)’s Squidget Pop Top TTT was originally made of plywood but he found that re-doing the lifting roof out of foam worked better:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=41606

Aligator944’s Wild Goose is a foamie:

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=49879

What I would be concerned about is making sure that you had enough wood framing to be able to latch the lifting roof down well and to give it enough stability so that the wind wouldn't bash it around. Other than that, have at it!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby WizardOfOdds » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:36 pm

40" wide, about 7' long, and maybe 5' tall when extended

hummm. What is the maximum folded height you can tolerate? One problem with foam construction is that each panel (wall or roof) needs to be quite thick to attain adequate strength. This could be a problem for a motor cycle trailer which probably needs to be rather compact when folded. Lets say we use 2“ thick foam and see how high the folded trailer must be just to ‘store the foam’ of a rectangular box 40“ wide and 5' tall:

Lets stack the sides, ends and roof on the floor of the trailer. Since the sides are 60“ high but the floor is only 40“ wide, it would take one and a half layers for each side (6“ stack for the pair of sides). The roof adds another 2“. The ends would probably also take up 2 more layers bringing the total stack to 12“ high. There would be a small amount of empty space because the end panels are shorter than the 7' length of the trailer, but you will probably need this for the storing other components.
WizardOfOdds: Chalet shaped rag roof clam shell TIER drop for 4 cylinder tow
Tip Top Tier Drop thread http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=56232
Unusual Designs thread http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=64495
Tale of 2 Trailers thread http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=61451
WizardOfOdds
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:55 pm

My build is 5 x 9 ft 8 and uses 1-1/2 inch foam. The smaller the build the less foam is needed. It's more about the geometry of the structure.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby mezmo » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:47 pm

This thread might have some ideas that could be useful to you.

Bicycle Travel Trailers http://tnttt.com/viewforum.php?f=24
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby James06 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:26 pm

WizardOfOdds wrote:
40" wide, about 7' long, and maybe 5' tall when extended

hummm. What is the maximum folded height you can tolerate? .

I haven't thought about the max height, but just guessing I would say no more than 30". That would mean I could probably realistically get about 54" of height, which would probably be acceptable. I hadn't thought a lot about the structure yet, which is why I wanted to start the thread. It may not even be feasible, but I hate like heck to spend $3K on a motorcycle camper. You can't really find many used ones in our area.
James06
Teardrop Advisor

Postby WizardOfOdds » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:22 pm

By 30" high (folded), do you mean measured from the floor of the trailer of from the road? I was expecting you would want to be only about 20" or less above the trailer floor based on what I've seen on the road.

I suggest keeping things simple and perhaps the simplest pop-up to consider is a shoe box design (the Hi-Lo trailer idea). This results in a trailer that is about 2x high when opened. You might want to look at the build that seems to have started the "Foamie" list in the first place, it is one of the very few pure foam pop-ups I've seen:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=19227

You might also want to look at the trailers made using the corrugated plastic used for signs. It may prove a good option for your plans. I've seen at least one on this site.
WizardOfOdds: Chalet shaped rag roof clam shell TIER drop for 4 cylinder tow
Tip Top Tier Drop thread http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=56232
Unusual Designs thread http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=64495
Tale of 2 Trailers thread http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=61451
WizardOfOdds
Teardrop Master

Postby James06 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:20 pm

I think I could handle 30" from the trailer frame. I saw the thread you posted and believe something like that may work. I might also try to design a tent add-a-room.
James06
Teardrop Advisor

Postby angib » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:37 am

Do remember that foam sandwiches are good at carrying distributed loads (wind pressure, self-weight, etc) but are not ideal for carrying point loads, like struts or hinges to hold a pop-up up.

You would need to add reinforcement inside the foam wherever there are point loads and you run the risk of making your foamy a woody.
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:16 am

angib wrote:... and you run the risk of making your foamy a woody.

This.

After all of the extra work that I have done on my build trying to maintain the hybrid theme (foam and canvas on the outside, wood interior, and minimal wood framing) I have to admit that there are times that I wished I had built "the bones" in a more traditional fashion. There was a time when I was really sick and tired of pocketing and gluing individual reinforcing blocks, and now that I am getting ready to attach the ceiling skin I'm sure it would have been quicker if I had added a full perimeter frame work of wood; but I suppose I am saving at least a couple of pounds (for my full size TD that's not as big a deal, but for motorcycle trailer or small TV it might be worth it).
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby James06 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:07 pm

I was thinking about aluminum square tubing at the corners with aluminum tubing inside for the pop up part. Like I said, it is all theory at the moment. If I could find a used motorcycle pop up that needs some repair for $500-$600, I would probably just go that route, but the idea of building my own is appealing as well.
James06
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ghcoe » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:21 pm

It can be done. Not sure how their pop up system works, but it might give you some thoughts....

http://www.goldbrand.info/motorcykelhusvagn2.html
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby James06 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:57 pm

ghcoe wrote:It can be done. Not sure how their pop up system works, but it might give you some thoughts....

Thanks, that is exactly the type of concept I was thinking about. I don't really need 10 feet long, but everything else looks pretty good. I winder if the canvas/ foam route would be as sturdy as their fiberglass/foam design?
James06
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Mary C » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:15 am

that depends ..........expierment, take a piece of foam (meat trays will work) put some glue one it and put a piece of material............let dry......... Put two coats of paint and let dry in between ..........(While doing so, read the Thrifty Alternatives thread) by that time you will have decided just what you prefer, the cost associated with both techniques and the labor intensity. You will also know better how to make the informed decision with what you have been able to discern by reading and having the experimental piece in front of you. It will then be the informed decision and not just the opinions of the foaminglings. It is a hard decision for anyone to make because it is your preference. For me I hate fiberglass, I hate all the wearing of mask while sanding, the tweezers to remove fiberglass from my body and just wanting to camp. You on the other hand might want the status of having the hardness and the shiny look of the fantastic paint job and the prestige that accompanies such a fine finishing piece of work. I just want to camp and have a place to sleep while traveling. I of course will paint and decorate it some, but as far as the body I want it waterproof and functional. I don't expect to have it in any show places, just on the road and backwoods camping. Now to answer your question ....Yes fiberglass is harder than paint on canvas. As far a which is sturdier, I would not want that debate, I guess that is one of those relative questions.

Mary C.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby atahoekid » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:17 pm

James06 wrote:
ghcoe wrote:It can be done. Not sure how their pop up system works, but it might give you some thoughts....

Thanks, that is exactly the type of concept I was thinking about. I don't really need 10 feet long, but everything else looks pretty good. I winder if the canvas/ foam route would be as sturdy as their fiberglass/foam design?

Having incorporated both into the Road Foamie, I think there's a bit of a strength advantage using epoxy and fiberglass vs. canvas and a glue of some sort. Would I avoid a canvas cover. NO. I think they would perform equally well but would avoid too light on the canvas weight. The epoxy sets up more rigidly which for a pop up could be a plus but unless you are as talented as the fiberglasser of the goldbrand, (I'm not) the body would be easier in canvas. Maybe fiberglass epoxy on the pop up and canvas and glue for the rest of the body. BTW, epoxy and fiberglass are not inexpensive products and can be more difficult to source unless you're OK with buying on the internet and paying shipping or finding a marine supply and paying a small fortune for it.
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Next

Return to Foamies