Foamstead Model

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Foamstead Model

Postby TeriL » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:31 pm

travelerilr wrote:...
bonnie, that is a folding deck with a bimini top with curtain walls and screens. My wife likes to sit out on the porch with her coffee and books in the mornings. In the raised position there will be space for some folding rocking chairs and maybe even some drop in picket railings.

I'm glad someone thinks the porch/deck is a good idea. In my younger car/truck camping days, I'd often have rough or muddy ground underfoot. Sometimes it was ant infested too! Like your wife, I like to have my coffee in the morning without worrying about ants. Plus the "high ground" is always better for taking in the view.

BTW, I just uploaded newer images in my album. I also have a new post.

-- Teri

P.S. I'm a pre-Sputnik baby by a few years.
Our reach should exceed our grasp or what is a heaven for? -- Marshall McLuhan
TeriL
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Olddog1 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:32 pm

GPW, yes a TT but smaller, lighter and less RV specific equipment. Need to check out the lumber yards locally and there is an 84 lumber close that I know has blue foam.

Teril, on the FW we have an awning enclosure and it nice to have a place outside to relax even if it's nasty out. Last summer in Maine it seemed that it rained almost daily for the month of June.
I like your plans and saw the trailer. Have you started your build yet? I'll get over and check your post

Lamar
Olddog1
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:49 pm

Well COOL then !!! RV equiptment always seems to be 10 times as expensive and 20 times more to replace (often) ... :frightened:
Just for starters I’d use a GOOD floor , something the manufacturers really skimp on , and with the usual Rotted results ... :roll: And also eliminate any caulking on the roof , especially with the stuff The RV dealers sell (junk) which seems to always fail before it’s time , especially in our sub-tropical Sun ... According to my RV dealer , even within the warranty period , I would have to have the trailer re-caulked EVERY year at a cost of $1200.00 USD... :roll: Yes, I had the roof re-caulked once when I had the roof repaired from some storm blown branch holes in the 3/32” plywood top , and plastic table cloth “membrane” :roll: ... $5K on the insurance company , and then the “dry fit” windows failed ...right after the warranty expired ... What a Joke .... and the joke was on me ... Worked out to $10K a year to own a TTT that was supposed’ to be able to live outside :thumbdown: ... And then we discovered Foamies and all that foolishness was finally over ... :thumbsup: :worship: :beer:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby TeriL » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:22 pm

travelerilr wrote:Teril, on the FW we have an awning enclosure and it nice to have a place outside to relax even if it's nasty out. Last summer in Maine it seemed that it rained almost daily for the month of June.
I like your plans and saw the trailer. Have you started your build yet? I'll get over and check your post

Lamar

Hi Lamar,

Thank you for the compliment. In my V0.0 album, I drew an awning to be placed over the porch. My travels and interests have been more in the desert SW where shade is more important. Only a few times in Colorado was rain a threat. In any event, an awning is a good thing.

I'm a way from the actual build due to a number of other high priority projects in the way. In the meantime, I can design on my computer (it doesn't cost anything in materials).

-- Teri
TeriL
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Olddog1 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:41 am

Teri I'm still in the planning, absorption and acquisition phase and the build will be down the road. Finally reached the mid point of the 'Thrifty Alternative' thread and am amazed at the continuing evolution of this method. Might need to try to learn how to design on the computer or not. I really don't like this thing and only put up with it out of necessity.
Olddog1
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:53 am

And then again... some of we ”old timers” (respectfully) are more proficient with the “ancient” tools ... pencil and paper :o or model making ... 8)

Sometimes it’s much easier to use the Old ways , rather than continually learn a system that keeps ever changing , for technological and Economic reasons... :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby TeriL » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:53 am

travelerilr wrote:Teri I'm still in the planning, absorption and acquisition phase and the build will be down the road. Finally reached the mid point of the 'Thrifty Alternative' thread and am amazed at the continuing evolution of this method. Might need to try to learn how to design on the computer or not. I really don't like this thing and only put up with it out of necessity.

Hi Lamar,

Some folks are just better with physical models compared to computer models. I've been around computers for most of my life and I learned CAD (on my own) back in the late '70s. At first it was difficult to adapt to CAD but it dawned on me that scale is totally not important as the program does all that for you. Everything in CAD is drawn FULL SIZED. Period.

Sketchup is fairly easy to learn but a couple of "tricks" are necessary to learn how to use without frustration. The first one is to use "Components" often. I learned this from a friend. Otherwise you will see lines "sticking" to each other as you try to move just one. The other "trick" is to use keyboard shortcuts for the most used commands. This makes you so much more efficient compared to chasing a menu around with your rat (mouse). If necessary, tape a "cheat sheet" of the shorcuts on your monitor.

In case you were not aware, a free version of Sketchup is available for personal use. http://www.sketchup.com/products/sketchup-make

-- Teri
TeriL
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Olddog1 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:06 pm

Thanks Teri, downloading now. let's see if an old dog can learn some new tricks.
Olddog1
Teardrop Advisor

Postby TeriL » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:18 pm

travelerilr wrote:Thanks Teri, downloading now. let's see if an old dog can learn some new tricks.

Good for you! This old dog (bitch to technically correct :) ) is still learning.

When you get comfortable with it, I'd suggest some Ruby scripts but I won't turn on the fire hose yet 8)

-- Teri
TeriL
Teardrop Advisor

Postby TeriL » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:20 pm

Olddog1 wrote:Thanks Teri, downloading now. let's see if an old dog can learn some new tricks.

Hi Lamar,

Any progress in learning Sketchup? Have you torn out all your hair yet? :)

-- Teri
TeriL
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Olddog1 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:19 pm

Didn't have a chance today. I was out on a lazy tube float down the Rainbow River with some of the family. What little time I had with it last night it seems to be another one of those things that keep my behind sitting in front of the computer even more.
Olddog1
Teardrop Advisor

Postby JThompson » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:08 pm

Heres another thought looking at your mock up. maybe a winch up upper section? A friend of mine sent me photos of a friends gypsy vardo.. It has 4 winches at the corners to raise the roof, when she is being used and lowers by 3 feet when in travel mode its pretty awesome really.. and I suspect its a future build for me since we just happen to have this 12 foot trailer in the back yard.. Anyway.. heres a link to rachels page for anyone who is interested.. tons of info and photos

8)
http://www.enslin.com/rae/gypsy/wagon.htm
* in here, some of my dreams become realities, and some of my realities become dreams* - Willy Wonka
JThompson
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Olddog1 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:27 pm

JT, that's kind of counter to what I am working toward. We have this monster 32' fifth wheel with 2 slides and systems that never get used. In 10 years the fresh water tank and 12VDC water pump has been used for a total of 4 days in Acadia NP. Don't use it don't need it. From LA to the Dakotas and east in the US we have always had a water connection. GPW has instilled this sense of minimalism, not that I going to take it to just the EVAC scenario. We have a built in stove and oven and a toaster oven and the built in oven is used for storage. When thinking about it RV manufacturer put extras in a unit to make the sale sound better to people that really don't know that they are buying a pig in a poke. I did a year in the parts dept. of an RV dealership after retiring. Selling an RV to someone is easier than selling them a car. Why? The car is normally a necessity the RV is a dream. I mentioned in a post about the induction cooktops. With one of these I don't need a propane system. With an induction cooktop, a toaster oven, a slow cooker and possibly a microwave what else do I need. Oh, GPWs solar oven. Got to try that. In my backpacking I finish a trip, unpack everything and grade each item as to whether it was used or not. The only item that doesn't get judged is the first aid kit. I f it's not used it get left behind and eventually sold off. Pack is down to 13 lbs. less food and water. Most of the food is dehydrated and I only carry 2 L of water and an excellent water filter. Maybe my backpacking is influencing my ideas on TTs. If it wasn't for keeping my wife happy it could probably be smaller.
Olddog1
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:46 am

QUOTE: “ If it wasn't for keeping my wife happy it could probably be smaller. “ ... Wow, is that TRUE !!! :roll: I don’t need much , the wife needs everything ... or so she thinks ... :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:45 pm

I didn't draw up plans just free handed a sketch then free handed the curves on the foam and just hit it with the saw blade. If I had to do over I would do it again. without the rain!!! trust your, idea and your ability to cut......If you mess up you can glue it back together........he he he....... 8)

Mary C.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies