Foamstead Model

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Foamstead Model

Postby ghcoe » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:16 pm

Might I suggest a boat trailer over a old TT frame. Usually they are cheaper and lighter built, which would be better for a foamie since they don't weigh as much. I will be building a 16" foamie soon I hope. I am looking at a boat trailer that is wide enough for my build to put the wheels outboard of the body. This will make it more stable. On most boat trailers you can move the axle to and fro so you can fine tune your balance. With the wheels outboard of the body this will make it easy to adjust on a foamie. :D
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Mary C » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:28 pm

George my wheels are not going to move an inch. I built on a HF, and a foamie and yes I am grandma age and I did it. Pretty easy and that was the reason, the ease of building and the inexpensive ideas of using what you had or could get. I decided not to use a boat trailer because all I could find was a V shape and rust. I was not into redoing or fighting rust.

GPW, yep grandma can build it I have not finished yet, but getting there!!!

Mary C.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ghcoe » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:44 pm

Nothing wrong with the HF trailer. That is what I am building on now. This is for the bigger fomie trailers. If you keep your eye out you can find quite a few galvanized steel boat trailers. No rust on them.
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:46 pm

Exact planning and building is not necessary at all, but many times getting very close has helped me in my build. By having detailed plans fully dimensioned I have been able to modularize many aspects of my build which in turn has allowed me to do more work on the bench, and also to work out of sequence. This was a big benefit when I had done a less than good job timing my material sourcing, and has allowed me to build the cabin off of the trailer under better working conditions.

So yes, not needed, but also yes, very helpful. And I love it when, "it looks just like the plan". :thumbsup:

Whatever the genesis or interpretation of the concept, we can each take inspiration from it and use whatever part of it suits our own build or needs. There are no rules. :D

p.s. I don't own the software, I'm just lucky enough to get to use it! :thumbsup:
Last edited by KCStudly on Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:41 am

Having built a 6X12 wooden TD on a boat trailer , and the FS on a boat trailer , and the little one on a HF trailer ... I rather like the HF trailer , light ,inexpensive (with sale + coupon) , holds up pretty well living outside (paint fades a bit , no biggie ) and it’s perfect for the smaller size foaminess ... Like the “Nookery” ... 8)

Ps. I used boat trailers on the others , because the trailers were bigger , and I got them CHEAP ... :D

Psps. If You make the plan , it’s much easier to follow ... All material measuring , cutting and fitting should really be done carefully and as EXACT as you are able ... Poor fitting foam panels are not pretty , nor strong... Do your BEST work ... ;) Keeping it SIMPLE makes things Much Easier ... 8)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Olddog1 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:43 pm

At page 403 on the big Thrifty Alternatives thread and found that Jack B had already discussed the Foamstead style TT and had solved the complicated round arc that I had modeled.I guess it's just more proof that everything has been covered here. His idea for a sloped upper front will be much easier to accomplish.
Olddog1
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Mary C » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:07 am

If I had to make a scale comparison I would say that I am at the ' just do it end' of the scale without written exact plans and just the idea of what to build and winging it with some tools but not nearly enough or the "right "ones and not having a lot of money to build, repurposing lots of wood and materials scrounged up and building in rain on the porch , where as KC is at the other end .........very precise drawings and measurements and everything worked out and a workplace with every tool needed and and then some. (and doing expert precision beautiful work I may add). My thought is that I would never take KC's Beautiful camper in some of the places I go nor would I take my grand kids in it, (they can really make a mess). So there in lies the differences in the Style of building our campers but that is not to say that everything in our worlds are that way. Some of my sewing has in the past been very precise and measured to exactness and given the sewing for formals and weddings, my and KC's work ethic and exactness with plans and drawings have been similar. To say I have been quite the perfectionist in some areas is true. So I believe the tenant is: You should do and build your teardrop, tiny trailer just how you want to, Not by anyone else s standards or abilities. It is Your art and your abilities to use and build your trailer as you want, Within the constraints of place, tools, weather and Money.

everyone is different and abilities and desires and reasoning are different that is why I love talking with everyone here and seeing the builds and the different builds designs and the resulting outcomes.

Mary C.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Olddog1 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:01 pm

Trailer search is on. Can't do much without the trailer. I've found out there's not much hope of finding a damaged TT for a frame. Here in FL if they're damaged and insured it is salvage and you can't register a 'salvage'. If you don't have a private individual that wants to get rid of one they are few and far between. Thought that there would be plenty of used boat trailers around here in the land of water but not much luck yet. Did find an older CL for a pontoon boat and trailer but it's an older listing. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to call. Scrap the pontoon boat and use the trailer. Probably make some good money off the aluminum. Listed at $100 but I'm not holding my breath. If I can find something at least it will be here when I get back from summer in Maine. Trying to figure out how to bring at least 15 sheets of 2"x4'x8' foam home in the RV. They have it in Maine. I could make it work but then she would probably object. You reckon?
Olddog1
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to Foamies