Paint question and progression

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Paint question and progression

Postby RogHodge » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:47 pm

Greetings all. I trust the fine people of the foam will be gracious and accommodating as they respond to this, right?

So, here is a pic of the (insert name tbd here). I'm headed toward paint. What you see is canvas stuck to foam with Oops exterior latex followed by maybe three coats of the same paint, was green and brown- very 'national forest' and that followed by two coats of glidden gripper. That stuff paints like 5-minute epoxy 4 minutes into the reaction :shock: btw according to glidden a person can thin it with a bit of water. Which I did for coat #2
Stick with me here, I'll have a point, or question.
I was considering paint schemes, and as you can imagine I went through many ideas. And honestly I'm still not quite done. One of the options that I stuck with was a WWII fighter plane motif, but needed a 'silver' paint. Well that wasn't happening I. An exterior 'house' paint. So, while wandering through the big depot, like one does, the rustoleum catches my eye, but it's oil based... :thinking: I have sprayed their 'hammered finish' stuff on the frame with some success. The orange cloaked chap at the ready tells me the rusto- would be fine over 'gripper'
Almost at the point, stand by ( I'm putting myself to sleep)
So what paint to use? A couple of quarts of rustoleum blown through a cheep gun should work, but is that the way to go? Not many color choices, but I will manage. Or if there a better product, and by better I don't mean some diamond infused disco sparkle paint of exotic wonder, something I can grab at the big box store and blow on, or roll I guess.
And feel free to offer graphic ideas,
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (85.17 KiB) Viewed 2456 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (104.4 KiB) Viewed 2456 times
For those who would like to have a look I have a build journal and covet your feedback.
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=33547
RogHodge
Teardrop Master

Re: Paint question and progression

Postby desertmoose » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:12 pm

Your tear is looking great!!

With the finish you've chosen, don't forget you have an excellent "canvas" for a multi color paint job. Two or three different colors, some blue tape to mask, and it will stand out from the all one color crowd.

I printed a few copies of the profile and Kat and I sat around with of all things, the grandkids crayons. Try out several things, pass it back and forth, and it will evolve into YOUR teardrop. Don't forget to have fun doing it.

Sam
desertmoose
The 300 Club

Postby Mary C » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:45 pm

In my best southern voice, wy, Honey just where have you been just finishing up your aw inspirin build, getting by my seein it over here. You have done great, I am so impressed, I guess I missed your build. Now is your fun time your personality and your creativity. to paint different colors use tape, get the blue tape and paint. I'm not sure what kind of paint you can use over water based. GPW can answer that . but Your tear looks great!!! :applause: :wine:

Mary C.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:17 am

Don’t mix paints (oil and latex) ... You CAN use oil over latex, but NOT the reverse (peels off later) ... :o
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby RogHodge » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:56 am

Sam, I have been printing and coloring and thinking and coloring some more. While I don't need anything too exotic, I don't want the monochromatic egg of boredom either.

Mary, thanks rightly kind of ya'
But trust me, the build is far from complete

GPW, not even if ii use a really good blender? -I get it, it is like (mostly because it is) mixing oil and water.
But oil over gripper is good right, just can never revert back. So... What might you use?
For those who would like to have a look I have a build journal and covet your feedback.
RogHodge
Teardrop Master

Postby RogHodge » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:31 am

Here's the stuff the oil base 'professional' and what must by default be 'amateur' paint?!?
image.jpg
image.jpg (15.87 KiB) Viewed 2386 times

image.jpg
image.jpg (89.1 KiB) Viewed 2386 times

Then we have some water based stuff. Though I didn't see if/that I could spray the stuff
image.jpg
image.jpg (14.43 KiB) Viewed 2386 times

So is there a difference in the first two? (And yes I see that on is red and the other black :R

Oh, it also seems that most of this stuff is available in a rattle can, no not for the whole thing. "Just load a pallet of the stuff in my trunk" but for an accent color or carefully masked pinstripe?

It's analysis paralysis! (Insert Freud joke here)
RogHodge
Teardrop Master

Postby Mary C » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:57 am

Ok, this is just me but if you can get an exterior latex in gloss that is the best , Hmmmm not available well then you might give up some gloss and get simi gloss. I am afraid if you paint with an interior gloss the weather will dull it down anyway. Now Rustoleum, I honestly have no Idea. You might call the company or look at something you have painted with it after a year or so left outside, Dont want to wait that long? again ask the paint expert or almost........ I would also call the company. but please let us know.

Mary C.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tac422 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:32 pm

I used Oil based gloss - "Porch and floor paint" on the sides and this stuff on the top....111629

both painted over Gripper and 111680

in my thread here :
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=56441&start=105
tac422
500 Club

Postby GPW » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:49 pm

It’s an adhesion issue really ... Oil or enamel (oil) over cured latex is fine , but Latex paint won’t stick very well over Oil in the long run ... Years ago I painted an Acrylic seascape over an old oil painting ... Sold the painting , then 8 months later it was returned as the seascape was peeling off the oil paint ... Had to give a refund on that ... :frightened:

Rustoleum makes a spray paint for Plastic that should work fine ... As we’re fond of saying around here , you might want to test it on some scrap Before using it on your trailer... ;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:40 pm

I would think that the one that says "Stops Rust" might be intended for metals... or at least just be aimed at that market.

Funny, not only does the water based say "Professional", it also says, "For Professional Use Only". I guess they're double dipping. It is a marketing ploy to get you to buy "the good stuff", and they have an out; if you get poor performance from it and complain they can ask, "well, are you a professional? No? Well there's your problem!". :lol: :lol: :lol: (I know, I'm too cynical!)
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby RogHodge » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:13 pm

Ok I'm going with rust-oleum oil based protective enamel. I went with the amateur version. Mostly because of the color choices available. I have one tentative coat on the galley lid now. And remembered why oil paint is such a pain in the butt. Messy stuff.
I'll try to get some pictures up tomorrow, it's already dark. (Outside)
The bulk of the paint will be gloss ''almond" stripes likely "royal blue" unless I get some other inspiration :thinking:
My design idea, for now...
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (76.24 KiB) Viewed 2236 times
RogHodge
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:29 pm

I like the second one better. :thumbsup:
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby desertmoose » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:58 pm

KCStudly wrote:I like the second one better. :thumbsup:

+1

Sam
desertmoose
The 300 Club

Postby RogHodge » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:14 pm

Next thought, very rough, but I do live in Southern California.
I know the 'sketching' gives a motion that will not be there with solid paint. More planning needed
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (61.73 KiB) Viewed 2155 times
RogHodge
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:37 pm

Best one yet. :thumbsup:
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen