A newbie and a standie

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: A newbie and a standie

Postby natemiller » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:53 pm

This is kind of sad to revisit this thread after so long. Basically, hit a time crunch and stopped posting.

Casper turned out great (with loads of imperfections!) Here are a couple pictures of his maiden voyage (almost exactly two years ago). We've put in about 3000 miles in the two years since then and lived in him for about 2 months last summer in our new (old) house's backyard while we remodeled and made it habitable! All-in-all, this little guy has been pretty amazing. I built him (with you all's help) in ~6 weeks and have used him for 2 years. He was sturdy from day one, dry and reasonably warm (we camped in a couple feet of snow last winter and between the dogs and our body heat and a couple comforters had to open up the windows). Contrary to my wife's fear he didn't fall apart on our maiden voyage to Vancouver Island (she assumed everything would clasp in a pile of foam while driving through Canadian customs) and now she treats him like a member of the family (hence the name). Maybe the most fun part is all the conversations that random folks strike up with me and no one notices the MANY flaws but me.

Many thanks to you all for your patience and help!

My only complaints are (a) about layout, (b) imperfections in the canvas and (c) badly constructed door/door frame. The last two are direct results of building the thing in such a hurry and the first is live and learn. With respect to the learning - I'm currently planning Casper II :D
natemiller
Teardrop Builder

Postby ghcoe » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:43 pm

Looks great. Thanks for the update. :thumbsup:
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:53 am

Very Nice !!! ... and built on a utility trailer too ... :thumbsup: 8) :D
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member