Bodyboard

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Bodyboard

Postby GPW » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:58 am

That board is COOL !!! Swimming with sharks ....I dunno’ ... :roll:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby wagondude » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:49 pm

GPW wrote:That board is COOL !!! Swimming with sharks ....I dunno’ ... :roll:

swimming with sharks is no worse than camping with bears. It's the frozen turkeys you have to watch out for. :shock: :lol: :lol:
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rowerwet » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:36 pm

Glidden porch paint will stand up to what you are looking to do, bed sheet will give a smoother finish than canvas, the marine paint could give a good gloss finish, but, I would test the adhesion to Glidden paint first, especially as this board will see a lot of flexing in the waves.
I love the idea, I boogie board often, never thought of making my own. I did find the boards we bought last year are made with a beadboard foam core with nicer foam glued over it. The adhesive they used failed, I re glued the skins on with gorrilla glue, they survived another day in the surf just fine.
Since you mentioned my foam boats I'll share my latest boat not foam, but with foam bulkheads and deck clamps, and my first boat that isn't a box https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 212&type=3
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby RogHodge » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:42 am

Ok, took the board out again, with bigger waves it performed reasonably well. I bought good paint and it will likely stay in the can until I do a better boat - like rowerwet- that thing is very cool, and I just might need to make one. Or a standup paddle board.
Any way it was fun, good learning tool for someone wanting to play with the foam techniques, and when it's done you get a bodyboard. By the way, being dead stiff it could use either deeper chanells underneath, or perhaps a couple skegs, seems to slip sideways a bit too much.
An here is the shark I mentioned. One of dozens
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (90.78 KiB) Viewed 199 times
For those who would like to have a look I have a build journal and covet your feedback.
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=33547
RogHodge
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:00 am

Rog, that’s what , maybe a 20 footer eh ??? ... :o :roll: :lol: Even the little ones are scary ... :frightened:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:34 pm

Having grown up in SoCal, I immediately suspected that Roger was a SoCal inhabitant. El Cajon is east of San Diego and perfect boogie boarding country. Awesome looking board!!! I'm with GPW, I know how to keep the bears at bay, not so sure about sharks... I've been told there are only certain species of sharks to fear and leopards aren't one of them. Yet somehow that does not make me want to get in the water with them :NC :o :frightened:
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Previous

Return to Foamies