Foam Domes

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Foam Domes

Postby Glenn Butcher » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:53 pm

The detracting attribute of a dome shape is the interior space lost in the curved wall to the outside. It's the same sort of space lost in a curved teardrop profile as it slopes to the back, or the rounded front. With a dome, you're losing interior space in both length and width.

I'm noticing this consequence of curved profiles in some designs I'm noodling with for a 40x48 trailer:

The left-hand one is just a simple radius curve on the front, the right one is a back-to-front slope similar to jbyrd's Go-Camp. In the slope profile, I can't scoot the figure as far forward as I can in the simple curve profile. I like the slope's look better, but there's more room in the other, and that's important for a small trailer. Well, at least one my wife will want to climb into... :)

The dome shape can be very strong, but I think the lost space kills it for a small trailer...
Glenn Butcher
Teardrop Master

Postby WoodSmith » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:02 am

I'm not suggesting a full dome trailer, I think it could be used at the top front to blend front and sides to the top for better aerodynamics. See GPW's Foamstream.
Glen Smith
Build Journal
WoodSmith
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:05 am

I could easily visualize that kind of nose on the FoamStream ... :thinking: ... and if made out of thick foam all cut to the correct angles , a bit of the outer sharpness of the edges could be sanded down a little for a bit more smoothing ... That would be Nice ...

It’s either that or overlapping “rings" , or a solid block carved away ... :thinking: None of which is particularly easy to do ... With the dome style , at least you could make up some angle cutting jigs to slip the triangles in to hot wire (or whatever) slice the edges for a close fit when assembled ... From what I can see you only need two separate jigs ... one for each type of triangle ... Once set up , you could cut out a bunch of parts at one time ... make a big mess , and then you’re done ... Covering over the geodetic surface might become "interesting” ... Might be easy ... ??? :NC Gotta be easier than the “basketball “ looking silly job I did on the FS ... :roll:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:11 pm

GPW, you did a wonderful job So just stop, that may be your view but it is certainly not the views here on this forum. You did a great job!!!!

Mary C.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:29 pm

+1. Nix the nits. :lol:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:55 pm

Now if we could find a 6’ diameter weather balloon ... :thinking: ... :roll: :o :NC :beer:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Glenn Butcher » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:31 pm

GPW, I didn't mean to diss your effort; FoamStream looks great! This thread brought back memories with the dome structures, and I was working out space inside a 4'x6' trailer, thus my observation.

The dome house we lived in at Kwajalein was 1700 square feet, 3br/2ba, so it felt sufficiently roomy, but you knew you were missing space when you walked near the walls. Spherical structures of all sorts are strong, so it's definitely worth considering in a design if you have the room. For the 4'x6', I'm about to settle on a simple box so we can both sit comfortably. A shame, as I really like jbyrd's Go-Camp profile...

Regards,
Glenn Butcher
Glenn Butcher
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Foamies