Foam pickup truck cap

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Foam pickup truck cap

Postby WoodSmith » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:44 pm

Since everyone seems to say the second one is easier to build than the first - I am considering building a simpler project before I go too far down the madness that you have started here.

I'd like to build a cap or cover for my F150 that could be used as a single person camper or a separate galley if in the future I do get a camper in the works.

I am trying to decide if I should go with more of a cap or camper design. I would like to keep the top close to the level of the cab of the truck rather than going tall like most campers. I would love for this to be able to support a canoe on top.

So the question I currently have is: what would be the benefit of building an entire box that would go all the way from the floor of the truck bed versus just building a truck cap that would rest only on the rails of the bed.

The camper version would be fully insulated and more weather tight, but given my North Carolina location, that's probably not an issue.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the strength of roof racks / canoe racks / ladder racks in a Foamy?

I'd like to build something that would be useful and give me some practice in the Foamy techniques without taking forever or breaking the bank.

WoodSmith
Glen Smith
Build Journal
WoodSmith
Donating Member

Re: Foam pickup truck cap

Postby PaulS » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:57 pm

I have been considering doing a Glen L husky design it's not foam but I like the look. The size would also have to be a justed for the newer truck bed sizes also. If you do one I will be watching
PaulS
PaulS
Teardrop Master

Postby lthomas987 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:08 pm

I don't think making a foamy cap would be that tough. I'd probably consider just going to the rails and using regular truck cap clamps. But I'd make very certain I had used two layers of fabric joining the wooden clamp rails to the foam. Probably also some dowels up into the foam for more glue surface.

I haven't tried it yet but I am fairly certain my trailer would support a canoe or kayak fine. I think the thing to be concerned with is how you tie it down and what you tie it to. It is VERY VERY easy with modern ratchet straps, or even a zealous buddy and a rope to pull a boat WAY tighter than is necessary. This could dent or crack your foam pretty easily I would think. Also eyes set in the foam would be easy to pull out, bigger backer plates behind the screw eyes would make that better, but not perfect. Tugging and pulling from highway speed winds would be a definite thing to keep in mind.

Are you thinking of curving the top at all? either front to back or left to right? a bit of curve would help keep water from pooling on your roof and when the foam is stressed into a curve it's really quite strong.
Laura
Bike-Drop a Micro-Foamy Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=59274
My first Superlegarra-ish Foamy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=59049
lthomas987
Donating Member

Postby 666K9 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:55 pm

This is similar to my idea of building a trailer like a pick-up box, and a cap to convert to camper. This was inspired by the "boxy camper" behind the boxy car. I'm still working on the design. viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45827&start=135

Skip
"There are some who can live without wild things, and some who cannot." Aldo Leopold... These posts are by one who cannot. (paraphrased)

"It takes an act of Congress to make a General; it takes communications to make a Commanding General."... sign in Radio School classroom

Phil Jarvi, Docent; Grass River Natural Area (http://www.grassriver.org)
666K9
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Foamies