California ban on foam?

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: California ban on foam?

Postby andreuther » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:14 am

Instead of settling on driving 10 hours it seems more logical to track down someone local that can get foam. I figured someone around here had to have some but I had no clue where to look. As KC has proven asking the question here is the next logical step. No crazy drive and I still get foam. It's not that I hate driving, it's about the fact that I work a full time job and have a newborn at home. In my situation justifying a 10 hour drive just to get some foam seems irresponsible.
andreuther
Teardrop Master

Postby andreuther » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:13 pm

Time to end this thread. ABC supply told me today that the pink and blue foam makers are no longer allowed to sell to CA. I will be building with wood and that suits me perfectly as I refuse to use styrofoam. Maybe I will do a foamie when I move away from CA. I will be starting a build journal very soon. Thanks for all the advise!
andreuther
Teardrop Master

Postby OP827 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:46 am

andreuther wrote:Time to end this thread. ABC supply told me today that the pink and blue foam makers are no longer allowed to sell to CA. I will be building with wood and that suits me perfectly as I refuse to use styrofoam. Maybe I will do a foamie when I move away from CA. I will be starting a build journal very soon. Thanks for all the advise!

Did you also check polyiso foam or it is also banned in CA? I am thinking of Rboard from Atlas kind of thing. It has fibreglass mat already bonded on both sides, one guy was talkng very high of it stating that it is much better than pink foam in his build discsussion (google "worlds fastest folding shanty"), but I did not try it myself yet, but going to buy a sample localy and check it out for properties and lamination. Just my 0.02.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby andreuther » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:50 am

Yeah I have seen it around here and it has a reflective layer glued to it that is very hard to get off. You might be able to heat it and then remove it. My biggest issue with it is the price!!! At $33 a sheet I would prefer to build with wood. In my my I would choose foam for a budget build and that stuff brakes the bank in my budget. If you do test it let me know how it works out.
andreuther
Teardrop Master

Postby OP827 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:06 pm

andreuther wrote:Yeah I have seen it around here and it has a reflective layer glued to it that is very hard to get off. You might be able to heat it and then remove it. My biggest issue with it is the price!!! At $33 a sheet I would prefer to build with wood. In my my I would choose foam for a budget build and that stuff brakes the bank in my budget. If you do test it let me know how it works out.

No actually, I am NOT talking about the foil covered polyiso panel. This is relativerly new and less expensive panels that have sides with fbreglass fiber bonded to them during manufacturing. In my area 4'x4' 1-1/2" thiuck is about CAD13$ retail by piece. SO.. the price is virtually the same as pink stuff or even better, depends on the place. They also come in 4'x8' standard sizes, it is just local distributor did not have that in stock. Here it is in Canada: http://www.iko.com/products/thermal-insulations/ikotherm/
OP827
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:46 pm

Andre,
You could check the price with these guys near you, maybe they have Rboard in stock? - http://www.service-partners.com/products/board-insulation.aspx
OP827
Donating Member

Postby andreuther » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:45 pm

Thanks for the info, I will look into this. Could be another game changer.
andreuther
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:28 am

Being this is America , you could buy it and have it shipped to you ... you don’t have to say what it’s for ... that way you could get the exact product you want ... :thinking: It’s only Money , and with a Foamie trailer , it’s a one time purchase, since it will likely last a long long time , especially in such a temperate place as CA... 8)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby andreuther » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:47 pm

Looks like they have extruded polystyrene (blue foam board) but only in 1'' and at $23 a sheet. I know I could glue two sheets together but that would be way out of my budget far this build. Has anyone done a 1'' build before?
andreuther
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:08 pm

Best shop around some more ..... those prices are a bit high as we paid $28 /sheet for the 2” thick Dow Blu Foam... Try roofing contractors .... they may have some they want to get rid of now ... 1” thick would probably work fine with some inner framework ...like waterproofed 1” x 2” s ... :thinking: still light .... No rules here , but testing first ... framing inside is OK .... I have a frame in the FS ... nobody’s complained yet ... :roll:

You can e-mail Dow for distributors ... They at first told me check Loew’s , but I replied that Loew’s were Idiots and only interested in selling it by the pallet ...which would of course , leave out everybody here and everybody around the country that only wanted a few sheets ... Owens Corning makes the Pink stuff , likely they will be as helpful in moving a bit of product. Maybe ? All for the asking...

You have any Habitat stores or re cyclers in your area ... ? Somebody has it stocked , and now banned , probably wants to be rid of it ... lest the Foam and mattress tag Police come by ... :frightened:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:17 pm

andreuther wrote:Thanks for the info, I will look into this. Could be another game changer.

I got the samples today. See here : http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=61457&p=1100284#p1100284
OP827
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Foamies