California ban on foam?

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

California ban on foam?

Postby andreuther » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:10 am

It seems that CA has banned Extruded Polystyrene (pink and blue foam board) for construction use. I was hoping to build a foamie but without local access to the foam I am at a loss. Any suggestions?
andreuther
Teardrop Master

Re: California ban on foam?

Postby GPW » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:31 am

It had to happen sooner or later !!! They’ve banned Everything else eh ??? :roll: You could move ...??? :o If you can still get the beaded foam , that works well too as proven on the FoamStream ...

I can see it now at the CA border ... declare your fruits and vegetables , and styrofoam ... (and any large amounts of cash) ... :roll:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby andreuther » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:50 am

Yeah I was hoping to avoid "messing" with expanded polystyrene, but it seems I have no choice in the matter. I wish I could move but that isn't an option either. Also, Lowe's does not give the density rating off the foam and I don't trust the pinch method as I have no baseline to compare it to. Dang CA!!!
andreuther
Teardrop Master

Postby Mary C » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:01 am

After building in foam I would drive all the way across Georgia to buy my foam. You might get your trailer road worthy and go get some outa state. I definitely would, Find two or three people who want some and get a pile of it while you are at it. I used a lot but I used it for shelves and filling in the floor and other projects so total I used 4 sheets of 2" and 10 sheets of 1/2 inch ( no one inch available) . I still have 1/2 of a sheet of 2" and one sheet of 1/2 " and probably enough of pieces of 1/2 " to make up a sheet. Makes a great soft thing to lay on when working under a car, truck and tractor too. There are lots of other uses too used it to fill a hole in the old farm house to keep out the cold and wind. Used it to fill area around the Air conditioner The plastic vfold didn't keep out the hot very well. Used some in the attic for a soft floor for my knees. a Target, a foam cover for the outside spigot. My friends grand child used some for a school project another a train tunnel base. You will be surprised at what you can find uses for the extra stuff you don't use .

Mary C.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby andreuther » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:25 am

I live in central CA and Nevada being the closest to me is over a 5 hours one way, i'm not willing to drive 10+ hours just to get some foam. I think I may go back to a wood skeleton frame with foam inserts.
andreuther
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:58 am

The beauty of foam is you can determine the density just by weighing it ... The 1# per cu.ft. is standard pretty much , the 2# per cu.ft. is much more dense and solid ... We’ve even seen heavier versions of beaded foam , even more solid , not that it’s necessary ... the 1# cu.ft. is what we used on the FoamStream , with no problems , great strength ,over a wooden skeleton , and using heavy canvas (18 oz.) for the outer skin .. Use what you can get , and use it wisely ... We’re building simple camper trailers , that’s all .. ;)

And on the other hand if the trailer wasn’t to be used except for Good weather camping (like CA, where it never rains and the temperatures are always moderate 8) ) , then you could eliminate the foam entirely and do a Canvas over wooden rib and stringer frame (vintage Aircraft style) trailer... That would be Cool and very light ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:55 pm

Try calling around to see if some big box store might still have some.
Usually, when something is banned, they are allowed to sell what they already have on hand, until it sells out.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby MtnDon » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:43 pm

Technically it is not the foam that is banned but some of the fire retardant chemicals it contains that is banned. And more correctly to that the law, AB127, directs the State Fire Marshal, in consultation with the California Bureau of Electronic and Appliance Repair, Home Furnishings, and Thermal Insulation, to reassess flammability standards for all building insulation materials, AND then allows the State Fire Marshal, after this review, to propose updated flammability standards to the California Building Standards Commission by July 1, 2015. After that is done the California Building Standards
Commission would decide independently whether to adopt or reject any proposal from the State Fire Marshall.

When I search both Home Depot and Lowes stores in CA there is still XPS foam advertised as being available for purchase in many CA zip codes.

So have any CA residents actually checked online for store stock near where they live to see what the current stocking status is?
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby andreuther » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:49 pm

I have checked online, my local Lowe's and another Lowe's in a different town and none of them carry it. You can have them order it but only by the pallet, meaning you would have to buy an entire pallet full.
andreuther
Teardrop Master

Postby MtnDon » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:56 pm

My random HomeDepot search indicates the Lakewood CA store has 44 of the 2 inch Owens pink XPS :NC
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby andreuther » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:41 pm

I'm sure thats not the only store that still carries it. My problem is that none of the stores within a reasonable driving distance carries it. California is a big state.
andreuther
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:18 pm

Try insulation contractors or building suppliers (not the big box stores). We have UBS here. Maybe ABC Supply out by you?
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby andreuther » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:31 pm

Game changer KC!!!!! There is an ABC in Sonora about 15 miles from my house and they carry Owens Corning. Looks like the foam build is back on!
andreuther
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:12 am

Loew’s .... they’re Idiots !!! :roll: Gave me that same story about having to buy a pallet of foam , and with NO Discount , and actually a higher retail price than anybody else around ... We no longer shop there.. :thumbdown:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:21 pm

I used the pink Home Depot foam. And I would drive 10 hours for my foam. I Love using it instead of wood. just sayin' :)

Mary C.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Next

Return to Foamies