Bed Liner Material as Foamie Rock Guard?

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Bed Liner Material as Foamie Rock Guard?

Postby KCStudly » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:43 pm

I’m considering using bed liner as a rock guard over the canvas and foam on the front of TPCE.

I was looking at what it would take to add blocking to screw aluminum diamond plating around the bump out of my front locker and across the bottom of the front radius, and how much work it will be to fit and seal it all; and it is just looking like a bunch of material and work to make it the way I would want it to be. So I’m looking for an easier way.

Does anybody have any firsthand experience with bed liner-over-canvas-over-foam? Is it enough to protect the canvas and foam from dings when traveling extensively on gravel roads?

I am considering several variations on the theme: TB2-canvas-bed liner-paint; TB2-canvas-epoxy-bed liner-paint; epoxy-canvas-epoxy-paint; and/or epoxy-canvas-epoxy-bed liner-paint.

Any thoughts?
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Re: Bed Liner Material as Foamie Rock Guard?

Postby tony.latham » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:53 pm

I used it (Herculiner) on my first teardrops's fenders and it worked well to chip guard them. (in fact I now use it as paint for my chassis) Cleanup is with xylene, so I'd be concerned the outgassing could dissolve your foam even though I know you're going to seal the canvass.

It sure sticks to Levis. And the washer doesn't touch it. :thumbsup:

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:09 am

KC, I had a truck with it a few years ago and it survived having tools rattling around in it every day so I would think it would make a great stoneguard. There were a few chips out of it but they were round - I chalked it up to a surface prep issue because the rest of it was stuck down so well.

Just a thought, there must be epoxy coatings that could be applied directly to the canvas to save the extra step and $$ of a barrier coat of epoxy - garage floor paint or an industrial coating maybe?
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:18 am

I guess my question is more pointed at bed liner being used over a not hard surface. I would expect it to do fine on a fender, frame and steel P/U bed, but was wondering if there was any experience with it on a softer surface.

As far as cost of epoxy over the canvas, or the bed liner itself, it is not such a large area to do just the front and a bit of the sides, and when compared to aluminum may even be comparable.

Must test. Does any one have a source for a small DIY bed liner product so that I don't have to invest in a large kit just for the sake of testing?

Off to look.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:29 pm

I’d personally stick with the AL diamond plate ... You can get the thin stuff and we know it works (over anything) and looks Great .... Pop in a few “hard points” and float it over the skin :thumbsup: ... After all this time and work , no time to skimp on something you might (?) have to re-do later down the road ... :thinking: JMHO FWIW :roll:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby lthomas987 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:45 pm

KC I just bought a gallon to use on some other projects.

I am hoping to do dinner canvas work myself this weekend. I can do up a sample as I start painting and such.

The stuff I have did eat a hole on pink foam when it dripped on a scrap. So I would think it would need to go over primer and paint.

I will send you the test piece when I am done with it if you want.
Laura
Bike-Drop a Micro-Foamy Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=59274
My first Superlegarra-ish Foamy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=59049
lthomas987
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:28 pm

Awesome!!! That would be fabulous and I would be very appreciative!

If you have any little knick-knack metal pieces that you need help fabricating, just let me know and I can repay the favor!

I'll PM my address info.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Return to Foamies