Mandan, an aerodynamic 6x10 foamie

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Mandan, an aerodynamic 6x10 foamie

Postby GPW » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:29 am

Seeing all this makes me yearn to get back to the Zephyr.... another inverted Boat ... :thinking: There is something to this this boat/trailer business... 8) Looking Good Sky !!! :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby angib » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:33 am

ghcoe wrote:While the realities of fluid dynamics dictate that a teardrop shape is the ideal aerodynamic form....

Before anyone thinks a teardrop trailer shape is the ideal aerodynamic form, it would be good to stress that the classic teardrop trailer shape is just aerodynamic-inspired styling, not aerodynamic design. Volkswagen Bugs and Chrysler Airflows do not have low drag shapes by modern standards.

For example, the aerodynamic teardrop never tapers in at an angle of more than 10-15 degrees and never has three flat sides. As Aristotle didn't say "one curve does not a teadrop make".

And before nature is invoked, we should recognise that the teardrop shape is just a visual illusion - actual raindrops are flattened spheres, best described as a hamburger bun falling top side downwards. Plus they travel at speeds from 20mph down to as little as 0.02mph, so they are not really relevant to a road vehicle - although those are about the speeds I move on a bicycle.....
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby GPW » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:43 pm

I guess we should start saying ... “ it’s raining Cats and Buns ! “ :lol: ... JMHO FWIW , we always thought the traditional teardrop shaped trailer to be just so Cute, but a huge waste of space . Flat back at least doubling the size of the Galley over a TD... I just accepted that most people liked it because it was “traditional” .. that and they just got used to leaky galley hatch hinges... :roll:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Previous

Return to Foamies