EAGLE Camper ...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

EAGLE Camper ...

Postby GPW » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:15 pm

Going back reviewing the Zephyr drawings in preparation for a Spring build , we noticed we were losing a lot of headroom up front . So decided to make another drawing to search out the potential for a little more area overhead ... And this was what came out ... The Eagle Camper ... Named after it’s eagle’s head profile .... and our illustrious moderator of course... :D The sides could canted inward like the Zep’ , and the same type of simple framing could be used ... ;)
So we get more cubic feet inside and still retain a streamline structure .
Ps , the main entry could be on the side or in the rear as shown , the rear entrance protected by an overhang which keeps out the rain . Inside is room enough for a Mini Galley , and even a little potty .
Shown is a 5’tall 12’ long Sleeper version, but a Bigger 6’+ tall and 15’ version is easily doable ...

Not ready for Prime Time , still developing... :thinking:
Attachments
Eagle Camper.png
Eagle Camper.png (21.77 KiB) Viewed 1299 times
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Re: EAGLE Camper ...

Postby bonnie » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:50 pm

I like that. Very much. Is the little bump on the front for an AC?
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:45 am

Thanks Bonnie !!! ..... AC ? Could be , I guess ? ... :thinking: In actuality I’m a fan of keeping the AC low , as mounted on the floor ... FS is that way and it’s easy for me to deal with , the old back and all ... :o I’m just trying to explore (with drawings) the more streamline trailer shapes and yet have plenty of room inside ... The gentle roof curves , except the small bend in the nose, should be easy to do with foam ... I’m thinking now since the 1” foam bends so easily the roof and nose could be done in 2 layers and require NO kerfing' ... :roll: We learned that either T2 or Gripper will dry completely in between laminated foams ... it just takes a good while ... but being out in the Sun helps... ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:58 am

I like this a lot!!!!!!!!!!!

Haven't been on much lately, my computer crashed, have to borrow the son's when he is at school. :lol:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:43 am

Eagle , that’s not so bad.... my wife’s car transmission crashed (broke suddenly out of nowhere) , made a grinding growling noise like somebody rocking on the cat’s tail . :o Bottom Line , 14 year old CTB wasn’t worth fixing , :duh: ... Had to cart her around for the last week , and bringing her to pick up her New car today :roll: ... Then we’re free to work on trailers again .... as soon as the weather gets a bit more favorable ... BTW, I hear it’s getting COLD up North ...again ... :frightened:

Ps. the trailer looks like an Eagle (sorta) if you stand back and squint your eyes and use your imagination. :roll: 8) :lol: Bigger inside than the Zephyr easier to spell name ... :oops: :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:33 pm

I see the eagle shape and I did not have to squint too hard. 8) :wine:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:27 pm

Oh COOL !!! 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:58 pm

GPW wrote:...could be done in 2 layers and require NO kerfing...

I'm going that route with TPCE and to be honest, I think it's going to be more work to glue up twice as many sheets than it would be to kerf and install just one layer (assuming one has a decent table saw with large feed table).

I saw the Eagle profile right away, too. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:47 pm

KC, for one thing , I think the laminated foam would be a stronger job , those kerfs do weaken the foam a bit unless glued together solid again ( cut with the math ) .. With just a heat gun (not a hair dryer) the thinner foam will bend and conform easily .. Maybe some sandbags would help as "persuasion clamps" ... :lol: All remains to be seen .... but as a consolation , I‘ve made many RC planes by laminating 1/4” Blucor FFF and it’s quite easy and durable ... Still needs a bit longer to dry laminating with T2 or the Gripper ... Epoxy is QUICK to dry and doesn’t harm the foam ... if you’re in a hurry .... which you’re obviously Not !!! ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:57 pm

The bigger problem I'm having is getting a good even press when laminating to the front wall. Sure, a smallish model airplane wing on a flat surface is easy to weight down, but laminating around a large curve, or trying to press to a vertical surface isn't as easy as it may sound.

I am actually considering using a vacuum bag for the front and small front radius. :frightened:
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:31 pm

KCStudly wrote:The bigger problem I'm having is getting a good even press when laminating to the front wall. Sure, a smallish model airplane wing on a flat surface is easy to weight down, but laminating around a large curve, or trying to press to a vertical surface isn't as easy as it may sound.

I am actually considering using a vacuum bag for the front and small front radius. :frightened:

I am also considering an aray of deck or drywall longer screws with pieces of scrap plywood and wood at the both sides to clamp the foam sandwich together. After glue is cured the leftover holes will help to prevent canvas or FB delamitation when filled with glue.

Oleg
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:50 pm

I like the Eagle, sounds lofty and stands regal too. but rember those razor sharp tallons. :wine:

Mary C.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:59 am

KC, I’d think on those problem areas, attach one end down , and then heat the foam till it wraps over , then screw and secure till the glue dries. Sorta’ like the way you put your plywood on ... just adding the heat ... :thinking: I know , even thinking of WARMING anything now seems out of the question (Winter) :snowstorm: Foam is not as unforgiving as wood , it’s just everyone wants to use it like they use wood . :roll: In the end , the outer canvas will hold everything fast together.

The Truth , actually that’s the way the drawing space worked out , only recognizing the Eagle shape After the drawing was done ... seems like a good name huh ? :D

Oleg, foam is Not like plywood , if it’s laminated , it stays laminated ... :thumbsup: Especially heat bent foam which has no built in stresses, unlike bent plywood ...

Mary , we’ll be Careful !!! ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:54 pm

Once I get up to the spars I shouldn't have any trouble. First, it is flatter up there and I can weigh the foam down. Second, if I want more even pressure I can use a stretcher (piece thin ply that covers each spar bay) and weigh or screw that down to the spars. Wouldn't want to screw thru my nicely finished ceiling skin. It's only 5mm; not much else up there.

I don't have any problem getting the foam to wrap around the curve. The problem is holding it tight to the glue during the cure time for a good bond. Sure, the canvas will cover many sins, but I want a nice stable base to insure the most structural integrity and no issues down the road/later.

Sorry if this seems specific to my build, but I am gaining first hand knowledge, or at least my own perspective, of how it is to work with these materials on this scale, and this seemed like as good a place as any to share those findings (since we were on the subject).

Lots of different ways to build one of these things, most of them will be suitable, but as with most things there are tradeoffs. :thumbsup:
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:54 pm

GPW wrote:
Oleg, foam is Not like plywood , if it’s laminated , it stays laminated ... :thumbsup: Especially heat bent foam which has no built in stresses, unlike bent plywood ...

- I meant to use the screws when you have two or more layers of foam to glue and clamp together while forming the final curve. Maybe I should make a small sketch to explain what I mean by that? :roll:

ok, here:
OP827
Donating Member

Next

Return to Foamies