A canned ham in foam: Built

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: New Build: A canned ham in foam

Postby KCStudly » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:17 pm

Nice having a professional artist on staff, isn't it?

Good work, GPW, good work. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby NMMarauder » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:09 pm

That is impressive! :applause: I'm not even going to show you my doodles because they look so poor in comparison. I like the second one the best and I'm picturing the blue color between the "swoop" lines. I'll figure out how to paint that on my model and that should help to figure out how to mask and paint it on the actual trailer. Thank you very much for taking the time to draw that!
NMMarauder
Gold Donating Member

Postby wagondude » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:36 pm

Print a picture to scale with a grid drawn on it (the smaller the grid the more accurate it will be later). Then transfer the grid full scale to your trailer and draw the lines on with a pencil. Follow your lines with the tape and paint it up. It will work with your model as long as you use the proper scale grid. If you can print to the full size of your model with an ink jet, you can print a reverse image and transfer it by ironing the paper face down on the model.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:07 am

Glad to be of service!!!

Consider this , those shapes are pretty simple .... Basically a circle , and two lines , one coming off the circle curving one way , then the other ... You can make a simple compass to lay out the circle (string or cardboard) ... for the sweeping curves a metal 48” ruler bent edgewise does it for me . Just get someone to hold the other end while you bend it to the shape and mark it . For really long curves a piece of thin PVC pipe works great , on sharper curves , a fishing rod works too ....for really sharp curves, Heavy Weedeater string taped to the surface for marking works great .. anything “bendy” ... Hold it to your measurements , mark it .... Then go do the other side ... painting is just following the lines , or using tape to make the edge ... (tape and newspaper , if you’re spraying) .
We can do a Paint /decorating discussion , walk you through it.. :thinking: Decorating is easy , once you know how !! ;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Gunguy05 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:51 am

Somehow I missed this one when you started. Believe me, I'm following now. The who foam thing really had me intrigued. Combine that with a standy, and you have a family friendly, lightweight camper. Great work, can't wait to see how you finish it off.

:thumbsup: :applause:
Brian

Checkout my buildThe Regal Eagle Bow front for 4
Also my teardrop updates from blog on Dad Rambles
Gunguy05
The 300 Club

Postby ghcoe » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:10 pm

Very nice! :thumbsup:
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby NMMarauder » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:22 pm

More progress. It was probably completely unnecessary but I used spray foam to fill in any crack that would accommodate the straw on the can. This filled in some of the larger kerfs on the inside and outside. Later I cut off the excess using a razor blade.

Next, I used vinyl drywall edging to create a sharp corner at the wall/roof seam and in the wheel wells. I took a page from Tac422's build and used toothpicks and Glidden Gripper to hold the edging in place. Here is a picture while the gripper was drying.

Here is a shot of the side as I made my first pass at smoothing out seams and making sure the doors fit and work well now that the frames were installed in the walls. I also added a plate by the door for a light fixture and another plate to act as a strike plate for the door knob. If you look at the bottom hinge carefully, you can see a hinge mounted door stop. It works well and I will keep it on for a while to see if I actually like it. It was the first time I have used spray foam. Wow is that stuff sticky when wet. They aren't kidding when they say "Always use gloves". It was the first time I had used Glidden Gripper and I must say that I am impressed with it. It is like a glue that is also a primer. I'm interested to see how it works as an actual primer.

Just a bit more prep work to do and it will be ready for canvas. How many people have 'sized' their canvas before application? I was thinking about simply taking it out to the driveway and spraying it down and letting it dry in the sun.
Last edited by NMMarauder on Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NMMarauder
Gold Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:37 pm

GPW wrote:... and further... :o

I like this one very much
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby NMMarauder » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:33 pm

GPW - What software did you use to edit the profile? Here is my hand drawn pen/ink rendering of your drawing. I moved the back swoop a little father back because I find the space between the two swoops very pleasing. I think that is what I like about the art-deco car. My wife thinks I should try the back swoop above the windows. Maybe I'll play with it more after dinner.

Here is the original idea for comparison

I think the top one is much better. :)
NMMarauder
Gold Donating Member

Postby tac422 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:56 pm

That's coming along nicely. :applause:
a couple thoughts...
Make sure you leave enough room in the door opening to allow for the canvas and paint. On the Big Pink I have the canvas on the door and the canvas wrapping the frame. It got pretty tight. I had to change the style of hinge I used because of this.

Also, I didn't do anything for a door threshold, and am thinking about cutting the bottom of the door, or at least shaving it.
That would allow room to either put a metal sheet (with a lip) or tapered wood as a threshold.
tac422
500 Club

Postby ghcoe » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:21 pm

I think I would do a way with that door stop. First time a good gust of wind catches the door I can see some damage occurring. :roll:
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby NMMarauder » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:31 pm

ghcoe - you are right. It was a bit of an impulse buy while I was buying other hardware. I don't really like the look and, as you pointed out, the door has way too much leverage on it. It really needs a spring or something to absorb some of the energy of the moving door. That would make it more like a closer than a stop. I'll keep thinking about a solution.
NMMarauder
Gold Donating Member

Postby lthomas987 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:21 pm

NMMarauder wrote:ghcoe - you are right. It was a bit of an impulse buy while I was buying other hardware. I don't really like the look and, as you pointed out, the door has way too much leverage on it. It really needs a spring or something to absorb some of the energy of the moving door. That would make it more like a closer than a stop. I'll keep thinking about a solution.

I had one of these on the door to the utility room in my basement. http://www.amazon.com/Automatic-Hinge-Door-Closer-Brass-Plated/dp/B000KKX688 It worked pretty well too. I don't know if it would have stopped the door from going full open because there as a shelf in the way that prevented it. It did however reliably close the door with not too much pressure and worked for several years on a door we go through a dozen times a day at least to let the dogs out into the yard.
Laura
Bike-Drop a Micro-Foamy Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=59274
My first Superlegarra-ish Foamy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=59049
lthomas987
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:20 am

“ What software did you use to edit the profile? “ ... Paintbrush for Mac ...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:33 am

Hi Ron, I just found your build thread. You are doing a fine job with foam, but I am not surprized, you are a Mechanical engineer. It looks like it is very light and I really like the profile. Cheers and all the best with your build, it is a piece of art. I'll be reading more of your thread about how you did door and other reinforcement. :applause:
Oleg
OP827
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies