A canned ham in foam: Built

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: New Build: A canned ham in foam

Postby NMMarauder » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:24 am

ScottE wrote:How are you fastening your bed frame to the walls/floor?

On the parts of the framing that are flat on the floor, I ran wood screws through them and down into the flooring. There is also a metal bracket that the back of the bed framing that screws into the wood crossbeam that is built into the wall.
NMMarauder
Gold Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:13 pm

I like the way you did the bed platform, you idea is great! I may steal it for my next build. You are really making it seem too easy.

Mary C.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby NMMarauder » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:22 pm

I fitted a face to the cooler dolly. I may need to cut the width down to make it easier to clear the counter that will be on the right side. I'll probably round the edges with the router and I may add more decorative features. Facing for the bed frame is still in the works. The blue water container is where the fresh water will ride during transport.

I don't really have a color scheme thought out at this point. I am thinking of painting the interior pieces instead of staining them because the plywood is not cabinet grade plywood. But I do like the color range in pieces like this art deco desk. So I may try to replicate that look with paint, as much as that is possible to do.

Next up was figuring out storage options. For the past 20 years, while tent camping, I've used plastic containers such as this to store food prep items and dry food. If I was camping in an area with critters, then the ones containing food had to be left in the vehicle. The containers are just a little bit larger than I'd like for holding smaller items as they get lost in the container and you have to fish around for them. So I went in search of new containers and I found these baskets that are just about the perfect size.

So next I built the shelves to house 4 of them. I don't think the shelf will win any beauty contests but it should look better once it is painted and securely mounted. The round shelf lips (to keep the baskets on the shelf) aren't attached yet. I had the round pieces of plywood left over from building the windows so I thought I would see what they look like as a lip. If it were a nicer grade of plywood, I might consider staining the wood but I'm having a hard time picturing how it would come out.

As of now, I'm thinking a brown paint for the shelves (one that would go well with the floor) and a lighter color as an accent (on the lips).

I don't think I have posted a shot of the cargo area. I'd designed this area for holding chairs, tables, carpet, and awnings - Outside stuff that is nice to have while camping.

Progress has been slow because I didn't have a definite plan for the interior. Lots of time spent considering options, looking at what others have done and most importantly considering what works for me while camping.
NMMarauder
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:36 pm

Looks great! The deco desk is a great theme. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Fred Trout » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:06 pm

I really like that storage area - perfect for what you had in mind.

Love Art Deco too.

Fred Trout
The 300 Club

Postby djdawg » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:24 pm

Wow....just incredible. I haven't built anything yet and seeing this just makes me want to throw in the towel! JK.....great job!!
Kevin
Bellingham, WA
djdawg
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:21 am

All the work you see here should be taken as an Inspiration !!! Those that go ahead of us pave the way , and quite Nicely too !!! :thumbsup: 8)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby ChasCABQ » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:32 pm

Amazing build! Glad to see another local from 'Burque' get a nice rig on the road.
Build journal: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=61303
In 2016, I received a kidney transplant, finished my teardrop, and took it on the road! In 2017 I sold it and am back to car camping.
Thanks to all forum members who provided advice about my build and posted info to help me get started.
ChasCABQ
Donating Member

Postby NMMarauder » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:05 pm

The galley is 98% done.

I had a design change. Initially I was going to use a jug with spigot that would drain into a basin for my sink. But I couldn't figure out how to make it work without taking up too much counter space. Normally when car camping, I have a large table I set up for my camp kitchen. I just put the jug on it and let it drain onto the ground. I don't normally have a problem with the spigot leaking, but it does happen. When it is outside, it isn't a problem. So that was one slight worry I had with my original idea.

I never have a problem of having too much counter space and giving up a good chunk of it to the water jug didn't make sense. Plus my wife really liked the idea of a pump sink so the counter was redesigned to incorporate a foot pump. So on the far right is the fresh water and grey water jug. The foot pump is underneath. I don't know that I will ever use the grey water jug that much since most of my camping is in the forest and I'll run the grey water to the ground. It seemed like a good idea to put one in while I was building. The plumbing is still simple and it should be easy to service.

There is storage space for our stove (far left), pots, pans, plates, cups, etc. The 2 carry-on size bags serve as our closet. One last minute addition that I am pleased with is the window rack. See the slots above the top carry-on bag? Those hold all 7 window panes when we want to fully open the windows. I must say that 7 windows really ventilates such a small trailer.

Still to do: face plate in front of sink, staining the counter top, painting the rest of the counter and plumbing. The counter top has a 3 inch overhang in the front, so we are still tossing around the idea of using a curtain on the front for when we want it to appear tidy.

I also finished putting a face on the bed frame, All it needs now is paint and some decorative work.

NMMarauder
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:28 am

Looking good. :thumbsup:
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Fred Trout » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:03 pm

Slick ! Like the foot pump idea and the faucet looks like it can be used to fill containers too.

The suitcases would be too annoying for me to keep opening and closing, loading and unloading. A couple of same-sized plastic bins without their lids would be uglier but easier to see and grab and dump back in. You could even mount them onto full extension glides for easy access.
Fred Trout
The 300 Club

Postby GoTurtleGo » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:37 pm

I've been following along as you build. It looks really nice, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you do next.

I have a soft spot for Abuquerque since I graduated from UNM and our oldest was born there. Great place to live.
GoTurtleGo
GoTurtleGo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby NMMarauder » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:04 pm

So close to done that I can almost taste it. According to my log, I started construction on Aug 6, 2014. So I am really pushing to be "done" (They are never really done) this Aug 6. Here is what it looks like so far.

Here is the plumbing for the sink. On the left you can see the plumbing for dumping the grey water to the ground or into a jug depending upon the valve position. The right shows the plumbing from the pump to the sink and the inlet hose is going off screen.

Here is what it looks like installed.

Here is a wider shot of the galley area.

Here is a view from the bed. I still need to make a wire chase to hide the wires.

A view of the potty compartment and pantry shelves

The potty compartment open. My wife came up with the idea of using a magnetic catch to hold the potty compartment open. It works like a dream!

I'm going to try to get a weight certificate on it tomorrow since I need that to get it registered. I've excited to see how much it weighs.
NMMarauder
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:13 pm

You did an awesome job on that!!! Very nice!

Let us know what you find out at the scales. :thumbsup:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby KCStudly » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:06 pm

mikeschn wrote:You did an awesome job on that!!! Very nice!

Let us know what you find out at the scales. :thumbsup:

Mike...

Amen. :thumbsup:
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

PreviousNext