foamy car

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

foamy car

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:19 am

A friend posted this to facebook and thought it might inspire one of the foamy crowd to build a Batman teardrop. Proves you can build anything with enough foam. But I don't think I use cardboard as filler if it was going to be left outside in the rain.
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/05/30/lithuanian-builds-car-from-polyurethane-foam/#image-44
Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Re: foamy car

Postby NMMarauder » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:52 pm

I'm impressed with his ability to shape the foam. I notice that he mixes and pours it. I wonder how well you could shape a spray foam like Great Stuff.
NMMarauder
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:34 pm

What I have found is that if you let GS expand uncontrolled (i.e. not in a joint) you will get a fine crust like layer of bubbles on the outside, but will likely get larger bubbles and void spots on the inside. So not the best product for carving, and not really the end all at filling. It is a great gap filler, just not the best for achieving good finished surfaces in a single shot.

YMMV
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby NMMarauder » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:13 am

Good to know. I have very limited experience with Great Stuff. Working with the extruded polystyrene has mostly been a pleasure when it comes to shaping. I've been trying to think of ways to take advantage of this. GPW did some nice shaping on the Foamstream and I can't help but think that it could be taken even further. The car in the link is an example or curves that would be very difficult to create in more traditional trailer building methods. Just trying to think of ways to take full advantage of building with foam. Sounds like using GS for free form shaping is a no-go.
NMMarauder
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:06 am

I'm not saying that it won't yield a decent result given an application or two; just saying there are likely other options out there that can be bought in bulk for less money and would probably be a better medium for carving. :beer:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby rowerwet » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:07 pm

I'm building a kayak right now using layers of foam to make the rough shape, and then sanding to the shape I want. It really isn't that hard.
I know a few years ago, it was a pretty cool website showing guys I believe in the Ukraine, making cars ouy of a two part foam and chicken wire and whatever cheap car that use as the base the finished car looked like a Lamborghini or whatever else they were trying to copy. all by just shaving foam and putting nice fiberglass over it.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby jandmz » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:30 am

Back in the '70's, there were a number of designs by Quincy-Lynn that were promoted by Mechanix Illustrated magazine. They sold plans for electrics, hybrids and 3 wheelers. It looks like they are still active, as they have a web site showing their foam and fiberglass Tri-Magnum being built.

http://www.rqriley.com/frp-foam.htm
jandmz
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:48 am

Since the first time we got our hands on a fiberglass over Foam Surfboard (late 60’s) we immediately thought of Many Many possibilities for this material ... :thinking: Besides hand shaping ... Foam could be poured into molds for “production" , then glassed , and painted ... or CNC’d ...or hot wired ... Anything’s possible .... a point we’ve been trying to make here for 4 years now . :beer:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Return to Foamies