Fixing canvas bubbles?

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Fixing canvas bubbles?

Postby andreuther » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:45 am

Has anyone had a bubble of air in the canvas where the glue did not take? If so I would love to know how you fixed it. I have contemplated using a large needle to inject glue, or just cutting a slit in the canvas and pouring some glue in. Let me know what you all think.

I posted this in skinning secrets as well just to see if anyone over there has had the same problem.
andreuther
Teardrop Master

Re: Fixing canvas bubbles?

Postby GPW » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:18 am

Andre, in the past we’ve used a large syringe from the drug store , filled with slightly thinned T2. If it’s a big bubble , you can make several tiny slits in the canvas at the BOTTOM of the bubble , and just shoot some glue in there and massage it around till the whole inside is glue covered again , then use a plastic squeegee (auto parts store) to press out the excess glue ... mop that excess up , let everything dry really well , then use a little filler on the slits you made .... paint over that , done ...
Attachments
T2inject.JPG
T2inject.JPG (148.04 KiB) Viewed 509 times
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby andreuther » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:12 pm

Thanks for the suggestions! I already ordered a syringe and will fix the bubble in a few days.
andreuther
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:42 am

Something to try first is Ironing down the bubble with a hot iron and damp towel ... that works sometimes .... it re heats (re-flows) the glue and sticks the canvas down ...
If the iron doesn’t work , the glue/syringe will ... ;) The damp towel keeps it from burning ... and remember , too HOT and the foam melts ... :o
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:37 pm

Caution, please don't use too hot of an iorn, It will melt the foam, expirment if possible, I didn't and I have the outline of my Iorn on the inside of the door. It does work though,it, did on the outside in several places. Be sure to use a towel.,

hope this helps.................................

Mary C.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby eaglesdare » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:51 am

I have bubbles, but I have never tried to fix it. :wine:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby lthomas987 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:56 am

I had some bubbles form on the inside of the roof. While stetching a bit worked great for the linen on the outside of the trailer (it tightened up as it dried) when you do that on the INSIDE of the curve it doesn't go as well. As it tightens up it starts to not have enough length and pulls off. I ended up cuttting slits in the fabric and gluing it back down in the big gaps. (dinner plate sized or larger) I then took some bias cut strips and glued them OVER the slits. you can see them a bit even after painting but since they were all either in my headboard area, or above the cabinet over my foot I decied it was okay.
Laura
Bike-Drop a Micro-Foamy Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=59274
My first Superlegarra-ish Foamy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=59049
lthomas987
Donating Member

Return to Foamies