Road Foamie For Sale

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Road Foamie For Sale

Postby KCStudly » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:04 pm

Guy at the corner of my street, the garbage house, has a 5x8 CT that he used to tow his "extra stuff" that wouldn't fit in his Class C RV. It was new just a few years ago and for several years now I see he is keeping a blue tarp strapped to the roof. Well known trailer brand, factory made; roof leaks. Granted, it has been stored outside in New England weather.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:55 pm

What ??? Cars are stored outside in new England weather ... they don’t leak eh ? ... :thinking: RV’s are MADE to leak .... Made to fall apart !!! The factory has Ridiculous markups on cheap replacement parts ( Like $1700.000 for a sheet of roof plywood :roll: ... TRUE!!!) The dealer has Ridiculous Hourly repair rates , and marks up,the parts again ... Very profitable all around .... Just the service department ... and where they make their Real money ... Truly an Evil Empire this is :thumbdown: ...

Cargo trailers at least have plywood floors and Metal roofs ... Not MDF and vinyl tablecloth ( “membrane” ) roofs :roll: ... they leak too but can be easily fixed ... ;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Mon May 04, 2015 8:27 pm

I bought a pre-owned 1975ish 17ft BOLER travel trailer last year like the one on the photo below. The whole body is fiberglass, good plywood floor, so no issues with rot at all. It comes with bathroom and all water tanks.
It is at 2200lbs with full 40gal water tank. We enjoy the trailer very much, especially for shorter trips.. it sleeps 4.

OP827
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue May 05, 2015 6:39 am

That’s a nice looking trailer ... Fiberglass :thumbsup: 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Tue May 05, 2015 7:26 am

Yea it is a nice trailer.
Think they want you to know who made it.......?
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby OP827 » Tue May 05, 2015 10:51 am

"Boler" trailer was originally invented and made by a guy who was in fiberglass tanks manufacturing business.
Original Boler he invented was smaller at about 13ft total length and lighter - under 1000lbs.
17ft variation is twice heavier, about foot wider and quite taller. It was a later design development after the inventor was no longer involved with the company.
I found the Boler trailer history record here: http://www.proud-canadian.com/13-boler-basics-beyond-1/boler-history/

The wall insulation on the trailer was specially made by some aircraft materials supply company as approximately 1/4" thin latex-like foam with white like popcorn interior finish. No longer made anywhere. I still have that insulation in a relatively decent looking shape and it is ok for not too cold nights, but homebuilt Foamies ( ;) ) would be much warmer. Some people retrofit the trailers inside with a spray-on polyurethane rigid foam though, which makes it warmer. There are many restorations made. I may keep the trailer even after I finish my experimental build. It is just so cute and it is a piece of history. They are still being re-sold, I see them on kijiji quite often, they last very long time if not abused, like the fiberglass septic tanks do, you know :lol: ..

Jokes apart, I agree with GPW that present day trailer manufacturing people need to learn a thing or two from our history proven good design experiences :roll: . Forgetting our world history seems to be fashionable these days.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue May 05, 2015 12:25 pm

Just sayin’ .... over the years we’ve owned several Fiberglass boats that with a minimum of care stayed in Nice shape forever... No reason a Fiberglass trailer shouldn’t last just as well .. as many have already eh ? :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Previous

Return to Foamies