Thrifty alternative to TBll & Gripper

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Thrifty alternative to TBll & Gripper

Postby RRJR » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:36 am

I found this Glidden Drywall Primer at Home Depot. It is priced at less than $10 per gallon. It works great for canvas to foam and canvas to wood applications. I used this 2 weeks ago when i was working on my floor platform and wanted to wait until I had verified results that it works as well as TBll & Gripper before posting about it.

The way I applied it was to brush on a nice thick coat on the surface of the wood.

While I waited for that to get a little tacky, I brushed on a coat on the canvas. Not too heavy. just enough to coat the canvas.

I then took a putty knife and pressed the canvas down onto the wood forcing the primer to work into the canvas fibers. Any primer that was squeezed out from under the canvas I used to add a layer of primer to the top of the canvas.

This is what it looks like when finished. It dried rock hard and i couldn't pull the edges of the canvas up off of the plywood without prying it loose by sticking a razor blade under the edge. After it dried for a couple of days I covered the entire floor platform with 10oz burlap and Glidden "oops" paint.

RRJR
Teardrop Builder

Re: Thrifty alternative to TBll & Gripper

Postby daveesl77 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:12 am

This is weird, great minds and chance often act alike. Last week I found a 5 gal bucket of the same stuff stuck in the back of my paint/chemical shed. It had to have been there for at least 8 years, but had never been opened. Popped the top, mixed it well and yes it was like new. I did 2 test glue ups with it, using canvas on ply and foam-foam. Foam to foam did not work, but the canvas ply was just like you said, stuck! I think I saw it was like $40 for 5 gals now at HD.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:22 am

The question, is it waterproof ... ? PVA ... should be eh ? :NC (another test? )
It comes down to sealing /encapsulating all of the fibers, as unsealed fibers store/transmit moisture... :thinking:

Note : ... From projects in the past we’ve used thinned Oops paint as a sizing/primer ... That worked fine actually ...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby daveesl77 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:34 am

I'll do a couple more test pieces today and then let it dry for a couple of days. I'll do a soaking and also a full immersion test. This would be sweet if this stuff works as well as TB2, as it is way cheaper.

dave

daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Wed May 06, 2015 3:19 pm

daveesl77 wrote:I'll do a couple more test pieces today and then let it dry for a couple of days. I'll do a soaking and also a full immersion test. This would be sweet if this stuff works as well as TB2, as it is way cheaper.

dave

Hi Dave, I am curious about your test, what are the results?
OP827
Donating Member

Postby daveesl77 » Wed May 06, 2015 4:37 pm

I forgot to post the results. Yes, it did work. I prefer the TB2, simply for my piece of mind, but this seemed fine with duck canvas. I'll find the piece of wood I did and do some pics of it. Full immersion, then cut and no sign of water intrusion.

dave

daveesl77
Donating Member

Return to Foamies