Sticky request: What's a foamie

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Sticky request: What's a foamie

Postby andrewbond » Sun May 03, 2015 8:24 pm

Beyond the head of a quality Scottish ale :beer: what is a foamie? I've roughly worked it out by reading the threads but it would be great to have a sticky with an explanation/example for newcomers please.

Many thanks from a very intrigued British-Albertan.
andrewbond
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Sticky request: What's a foamie

Postby KCStudly » Sun May 03, 2015 10:00 pm

The basic idea behind a foamie is that there is minimal wood, to preclude rot, and that the strength of the wall and roof panels comes from the inner and outer skins which consist of glued on fabric, or "poor man's fiberglass". This can be likened to a SIP, or structural insulated panel.

The strength to resist bending in any structural member comes from the limits of the outer fibers and how far apart those members are placed. So by having relatively strong fibers in the outer layer, and keeping those fibers separated by a light weight, but fairly incompressible material, a very light and strong panel can be made.

For a much more technical explanation of bending resistance study up on "area moment of inertia".

Some will say that a foamie must also have a certain simplistic and thrifty quality, which is definitely an option, but, IMO, like any other build technique, the method can be used in any shape or form from basic box to elaborate and sophisticated. It is up to the designer/builder to decide what is within their scope (budget, time allotment, and skill level) and how far they want to take it.

There have been very simple box like builds with no galley or hatch; traditionally shaped TD's with hatch and two doors; rear door standies; canned ham shaped standies; and a couple of hybrids with thin wood paneled interiors. Although my own build is not complete, TPCE falls in this hybrid category and is well on its way.

Glue, canvas and paint has long been used as a deck covering on wooden boats, and several more traditional wooden TD campers have used this technique as an outer covering, but these should not be confused with a foamie. A "traditional" foamie has very little wood; perhaps just a simple plywood floor, some framing around any windows, the door and door opening to maintain durable and true surfaces for the seals; and perhaps at the hatch hinge, if equipped.

Now that said, we foamistas tend to be willing to experiment, to try new things and nontraditional approaches, so there really are no limitations; but the underlying unifier is the canvas over foam method. All other details or combinations of build methods are game.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon May 04, 2015 5:38 am

Mr. Bond ... Our particular location is always very Wet and Rainy , with ever present high Humidity. :rainy: ( It’s raining right now ) This causes all our favorite things to Rot or Rust .. A Foamie’ camper is an attempt to remove many of these problems experienced by standard campers, by using a material that is both Light ,strong enough and Rot-resistant .. Easy for most everyone to build with very basic tools , insulated for comfort , Thrifty to make , and being Lightweight , you can carry more BEER ... :beer:
No worries , the “methods” described herein have all been well tested now and proven to be reliable over time ... ;)
Welcome to our discussions !!!
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby andrewbond » Mon May 04, 2015 1:36 pm

Thanks KC and GPW:

So now it's answered, any way to make your comments a sticky for future visitors?

NB Through prior work we built over 300 OSB and steel skinned SIP buildings, so definitely a huge fan!
andrewbond
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Mon May 04, 2015 4:56 pm

Sticky is for Eagle to decide ... We have no buttons for that ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby fm-usa » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:30 pm

Reading about server crashes, is there more to this thread?
I'm interested in more 'trials and tribulations' from foamie builders.
Is it possible, FULL RV in a 48 Sq.Ft. footprint & stay under 500Lbs wet?
SHE thinks teardrops are "cute" but I prefer a SKOSH mo-room & at 65+ the
body doesn't react/extract/move/mend/bend/lend or work like it use'ta.
NOW! Those unwanted guests moving in, Mr. 'Arther I. Tus' & Ms. DVT (grrr)
fm-usa
Teardrop Master

Location: ILLinois_60085 ================= Floyd_&_Debbie_+_Bailey

Postby rowerwet » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:00 am

Read through this list of builds, most of us are up front about failures and what works. Just expect to be overwhelmed with options, as we all do it a little differently. viewtopic.php?f=55&t=44659
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:46 am

QUOTE: "I'm interested in more 'trials and tribulations' from foamie builders.” ..... Huh ? What ? :roll: The only tribulations are the ones we create for ourselves :o ... Foamies Work !! With very few problems and Lots of advantages :thumbsup: ... We can say that now because they’ve been thousands and thousands of miles traveled , and lots of camping in many different locations ... 8)

You want Drama ... Certainly not here , we’re just all having Fun ... even despite the fact we all choose to do things a little differently ... :thumbsup: :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby fm-usa » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:38 am

GPW wrote:QUOTE: "I'm interested in more 'trials and tribulations' from foamie builders.” ..... Huh ? What ? :roll: The only tribulations are the ones we create for ourselves :o ... Foamies Work !! With very few problems and Lots of advantages :thumbsup: ... We can say that now because they’ve been thousands and thousands of miles traveled , and lots of camping in many different locations ... 8)

You want Drama ... Certainly not here , we’re just all having Fun ... even despite the fact we all choose to do things a little differently ...
:thumbsup: :D

The Huh ? What ? is due to the very few posts that's showing in this thread. I read about the server crash and the minimum of reloading "X" when needed.
DRAMA? ummm, where? I hope a simple question isn't DRAMA.
I know about foam but it's not structurally sound even when layered over with glass, unless the glass is thick enough (hence extra weight).
BUT HEY, if my word usage of tribulations erks one, GFY. I asked a quality question and expected a quality answer. OR, are we going downhill IN here?
fm-usa
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:59 am

Easy there new guy. This is a family show and you must not have gotten to know us here yet. I'm sure no malicious thoughts were intended. GPW can be a little defensive about even the slightest aspersion cast toward foamies, whether real or unintended, but I know him well enough to know that he in no way meant to slam you like you did him.

Peace.

This thread is a sticky because it gives a basic idea and summary of what a foamie is. I suspect the reason it has been dormant is because it is just that, a summary. The details and activities are documented elsewhere.

If you want more build "drama", take Rowerwet's advice and read the build threads here in the foamie section. If you want to learn more about how and why foamies work, and what the foam contributes to the structural "composite" of this type of construction, read the big thrifty thread. There is also a companion index thread to help you navigate around all of the OT stuff, but if you read that too, you will get to know us all better. We are an online family here and we get along just fine.

I post on my build thread most days. Yes, I am skinning with FG, but the concept is the same. The outer skin provides abrasion and puncture resistance for the foam. It also is the tensile and compression member that adds bending resistance to the foam panels. Comparing to a structural member we all may be more familiar with, the foam is the web of the I-beam and the inner and outer skins are the flanges. The outer fibers (skins and flanges) do all of the major work while the spacer (foam/web) only needs to be strong enough to keep the outer fibers apart from each other. The foam does have a compression rating (IIRC it's about 25 psi), so over large areas it is quite formidable. Sure you can poke at it, but it doesn't take much to spread that strength out and utilize it intelligently.
Last edited by KCStudly on Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby fm-usa » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:36 pm

PUSH usually begets SHOVE.
I suggest, no pushing.
ANYWAYS...
Yes I have read other threads in here and man-o-man there's a lot spread all over. I was hoping this thread had more to it than what was loaded.
SUGGESTION?
Maybe insert LINKS to other threads where Foamies are/were built? Sort of like an index.
Thanks KC.
OHhhh just looked, 492 posts but only 12 currently showing. So ya, there are some pages missing.
Last edited by fm-usa on Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fm-usa
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:13 pm

Yeah, 492 topics spread over 10 pages of list, thousands of posts. Look some more.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby rowerwet » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:14 pm

The only "failure" of any note, happened when wind blew a over tall foamie up onto one wheel. The total damage was some scraped fabric, scuffed foam, and frayed nerves.
I've been reading on here since GPW'S launched the foamie idea, though he may not be the first to build one, and in that time not one foamie has imploded, exploded, collapsed, blown away, or been nailed by a frozen turkey. These were all predicted by non-believers, at some point. I took this to boat building with great results.133840
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby fm-usa » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:36 pm

rowerwet wrote:The only "failure" of any note, happened when wind blew a over tall foamie up onto one wheel. The total damage was some scraped fabric, scuffed foam, and frayed nerves.
I've been reading on here since GPW'S launched the foamie idea, though he may not be the first to build one, and in that time not one foamie has imploded, exploded, collapsed, blown away, or been nailed by a frozen turkey. These were all predicted by non-believers, at some point. I took this to boat building with great results.133840

DANG that Les Nessman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... 00nBSNIPwg

Ya, high winds is my main concern.
Don't need the Big Bad Wolf blowing the trailer over behind the bike.

fm-usa
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:22 am

How my words ^ could be take as uncongenial in any way is an amazement ... And how they can be turned and twisted is only a representation of our new internet society ,now empowering each individual to strongly give Their Opinion , whether they know anything about the subject or not ... :roll:

I’d say we had enough of Naysayers in the past , all proved wrong , so we’re just going to roll on past this wreck without concern ... :beer:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Next

Return to Foamies