Bread-loaf build thread

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Bread-loaf build thread

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:46 pm

Awesome Fred, that smooth finish looks good! I'm hoping to achieve the same on my build. I'm outside gluing canvas today too! I'll post some photos later in the mad dash thread!

Mike...

Fred Trout wrote:Did experiment with a skim coat of spackle, sanded it, painted gripper on top. Smooth finish without fabric pattern achieved. Need to sand & use a roller for the final exterior coat since the brush marks show now.

Mike, your answer is, YES, you can cover with canvas and get a smooth finish :thumbsup:

pix:
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:27 am

From years of painting experience, when painting a SMOOTH surface , Spraying will produce the smoothest finish... ;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Fred Trout » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:28 am

GPW wrote:From years of painting experience, when painting a SMOOTH surface , Spraying will produce the smoothest finish... ;)

Sounds right but a roller is what I will use. :lol: :D :R There will be plenty of blems, ooopsies, & uglies remaining after it is painted.

It's the same as having a table saw, sawdust collector, cutoff saw, welding rig, etc. Buying expensive tools to use once is a waste and the roller will do the job. The idea is to go camping & fishing, not work in the shop. As long as it keeps us comfortable, dry & warm, gets there and back again, lasts the few camping years I have left, it's good enough.
Fred Trout
The 300 Club

Postby Fred Trout » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:15 pm

Snowed in high elevations in a number of places in Montana last night and this morning - wierd summer fall-type storm system hit us with an inch of rain, wind, hail.

http://newstalkkgvo.com/snow-reported-a ... s-youtube/

High today in town was 63. Low for West Yellowstone was 32 F :lol: :lol: :R

I bet there were a bunch of frozen tent :rainy: campers in Yellowstone Park. :rainy:
Fred Trout
The 300 Club

Postby GPW » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:39 am

“ As long as it keeps us comfortable, dry & warm, gets there and back again, lasts the few camping years I have left, it's good enough. “ That’s the Spirit !!!! :thumbsup: 8) :D

Snow .... in July !!! :frightened:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Fred Trout » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:20 pm

Finished skim coating 2 sides, doors, front & rear verticals. Still need to skim coat the front horizontal angles which won't take long and will perhaps skip the roof since it's hard to see anyway. Might do the overlaps up there is all. Never know - might do the roof, might not.

So will probably sand tomorrow. No pix - you know what it looks like...
Fred Trout
The 300 Club

Postby Fred Trout » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:48 pm

Sanded and painted w/ Gripper all the exterior except two door surfaces and the underside of the floor edges. Found a couple of spots that need fairing & repaint but not too many. It's getting dark now so I will post pix of the TD in full sunlight.

Need to decide on second color on top of white semi-gloss enamel (perhaps a porch paint) final coat which will go in day after tomorrow to give the Gripper and fixes time to cure. Then need to do hardware & electrical, buy a battery for the Fantastic Fan & 5 LED lights. Finally, need to fabricate the screen door from the aluminum frame screen kit I bought and other odds and ends.
Fred Trout
The 300 Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:35 am

:pictures: :pictures: :lol:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:52 am

Porch paint ... ???? Wonder if anybody’s tested that yet ... assuming a good (oil based ) Enamel would work without melting foam ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Fred Trout » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:15 am

Looks nicer than I expected in the light of day. So on with the pix:
Attachments
Primed 3.jpg
Primed 3.jpg (62.08 KiB) Viewed 5821 times
Primed 4.jpg
Primed 4.jpg (102.61 KiB) Viewed 5821 times
Primed - test corner 1.jpg
the usual test display area seen before
Primed - test corner 1.jpg (215.18 KiB) Viewed 5821 times
Fred Trout
The 300 Club

Postby Fred Trout » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:21 am

Moar !! Interesting how the creases in the canvas show but the fabric weave does not. I suppose I should have ironed the canvas but I just don't care. My clothes all show the wrinkles and so does my face, so I suppose it's all appropriate. Perhaps I should call the TD "Wrinkles" :R :R :cry:

After reading about what kinds of paint hold up best to outdoors exposure, I have settled on 100% acrylic Glidden Premium semi-gloss white as my base exterior paint unless somebody tells me DON'T !! hehe

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Glidden-Prem ... /100675042

pix:
Attachments
primed 1.jpg
The money shot !!
primed 1.jpg (94.06 KiB) Viewed 5824 times
Primed 2.jpg
A reflection shot to show the finish
Primed 2.jpg (135.97 KiB) Viewed 5824 times
Fred Trout
The 300 Club

Postby KCStudly » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:10 am

Nice result. Really nice! :thumbsup: :applause:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:50 pm

X2 that is a great finnish
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Fred Trout » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:53 pm

Thanks, KC & Dales. There are lots of uneven spots, bumps, wrinkles, even a few little spots where you can see the canvas weave if you look very close. If I were an artisan instead of an amateur, those would not be there at all. It's way past good enough for me though. The canvas overlaps still show in places but they are minimized, which is also good enough. Perhaps a second or third spackle coat would be required to make those go away and I want to get camping already !!!

The moral of the story is that if you do not like a canvas fabric pattern, a spackle skim coat will make it go away at the cost of a few hours of application & sanding effort w/ dust. Pretty easy fix. The only difference between a skim coat and normal spackling is skim coat spackle is much more watery - about like yogurt or custard.
Fred Trout
The 300 Club

Postby GPW » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:47 pm

I think it looks Quite NICE !!!!! JMHO :beer:

Consider this : A Foamie' like great Art should be admired from a distance greater than the length of ones nose ... :o :lol: :lol: :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies