Smooth canvas finish...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Smooth canvas finish...

Postby Fred Trout » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:13 pm

Mike, Glidden Gripper Primer costs 4-5 bux a gallon more than TB II around here.

TB II also provides very resilient bump protection over foam that paint can not match. So, Gripper for gluing tight joints only in the case of foam on foam, metal to foam, etc. TB II for canvas on foam & wood on wood. Great stuff for filling gaps, foam to foam in general, wood to wood & wood to foam if fit is poor (it also sands better than Gripper), etc.

I tried Gorilla Glue but did not care for it (inconsistent foaming) and GS is cheaper for the same uses.
Fred Trout
The 300 Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:45 am

okay, both samples have dried overnight. I tried pulling up a corner on each sample. It does come up, but not nearly as easy as TBII. So Jack is right. It really does have good adhesion to EPS. And it appears that the first coat completely sealed up the canvas. I guess that is something to think about as I figure out how to proceed.

It's time to think about the 2nd coat. What would be best?

More Glidden Gripper Primer?
TBII thinned out?
1 part epoxy paint? Like garage floor paint...
Spot Putty?

Closeup of the canvas:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:30 am

Here’s another trick , when you get your THICK primer or filler . use a plastic squeegee to apply it , don’t brush it on .... it will Fill a lot faster. Those little yellow plastic squeegees you get from the auto parts store work great ... A Thick thixotropic Gesso works super ... ;) I’ve used that stuff for years , the really old paintings I have still look good (kept indoors naturally)

http://www.utrechtart.com/Utrecht-Profe ... 38.utrecht
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:39 am

I'm not surprised about the stickyness of the gripper. I've never used it cause I'm partial to Zinser's bullseye but it sounds like about the same type of material. I've tested bullseye against tb111 on eps and found that the bedsheet is as hard to pull off with the paint as the glue. I'd try another coat of the gripper than something else if not smooth enough. Light sanding can knock down some of the fuzz of the canvass than another coat of paint. but I'd put another coat of paint on first to fill the weave before sanding.

GPW the Acrylic Gesso sounds interesting you artists have been making things smooth for along time. I'm a big fan of the old ways that have worked forever.

Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:34 am

no suggestions on which is better for the 2nd coat?

Ok, let me ask, do I need the water resistent membrane featues of TBII? Or can I achieve that with Epoxy paint?
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby dales133 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:38 am

Why not just acrylic/latex paint?
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:06 am

Has anyone experimented with this.............

http://vansicklepaint.com/tractor/index.html

I have used it on high traffic bare concrete and it held up real well.

It is on the exterior of the caboose 3 years now and has weathered and protected well.

I spray painted an old pickup bed trailer and it held up 14 years with little to no care.

I have been very impressed with it in general. I was just curious if anyone has tried it as a fabric over wood binder.

I am going to try and salvage Chubby next spring with a cloth over paint treatment on the nose and sides.(roof and rear are lexan)

Got a few holes to repair :NC

Last edited by bobhenry on Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Fred Trout » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:09 am

Add a layer of TB II if you want a little armor. It's much stiffer than paint and I use it for that - lots of clumsy bumps with feet, elbows, wood, etc will leave no ding. I whacked a sample with a framing hammer and TB II showed much less of a hammer head impression than paint.

Otherwise, I vote for paint with some thickening next and since you already have it, Gripper will do fine. Then sand lightly & blow the dust off for better adhesion of later coats.

Epoxy paint is very spendy and not needed.
Fred Trout
The 300 Club

Postby KCStudly » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:14 am

Geez Bob, that looks like frozen turkey damage right there. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Remind us, Chubby was just paint over thin ply, or... ?
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:40 am

KCStudly wrote:Geez Bob, that looks like frozen turkey damage right there.

Remind us, Chubby was just paint over thin ply, or... ?

*visions of the myth busters turkey cannon*
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:46 am

Yep it was only one layer of 1/4" luan. It appears as if it was sandblasted to death with road grime and sand. Remember we are the idiots that go out camping in January and road salt and traction sand are not very friendly. Chubby is now 8 years old and all but 1 1/2 of those were stored outside in the weather with absolutely NO protection so this is not surprising. I have a full roll of the heavy weave material they use on the cubical dividers. It was in the House in a house storage barn when I rented it. It looks tough as nails and a heavy weave that might work well. Then I stop and think about a light brown sequential FRP panel instead and it makes good sense also. I was pleasantly surprised with all the different textures that are available.

http://www.cranecomposites.com/BP/products.html
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Jack Olsen » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:31 pm

GPW wrote:Here’s another trick , when you get your THICK primer or filler . use a plastic squeegee to apply it , don’t brush it on .... it will Fill a lot faster. Those little yellow plastic squeegees you get from the auto parts store work great ... A Thick thixotropic Gesso works super ... ;) I’ve used that stuff for years , the really old paintings I have still look good (kept indoors naturally)

http://www.utrechtart.com/Utrecht-Profe ... 38.utrecht

If anyone's interested, here's the solution I used for thickening the Glidden Gripper for the fill coat. A little goes a long way, but use a filter mask when you're mixing it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006TST2I8
Jack Olsen
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Fred Trout » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:28 pm

Thanks for the link; not too spendy considering...

"Make your product lighter
Have it float in water
Use significantly less resin"

Does your spoiler float in water now ????? :R :R
Fred Trout
The 300 Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:46 pm

I'll be ordering some of those for sure.

Meanwhile, I went and painted 1/3 of my canvas sample with the garage floor paint, and another 1/3 with TBII, thinned out a bit. My first impression. The garage floor paint went on nice. It acted like it penetrated and melded with the Gripper.

The TBII didn't do as well. It felt like a layer of water on top of a sealed surface, and they just weren't getting along.

Naturally it's too early to tell, and I still have to do another 1/3 with the Gripper, but I'll check in later.

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby KCStudly » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:06 pm

OT Warning: Don't go look at any of that stuff Jack Olsen has been doing with his 12 Gauge Garage and Black Beauty II 911 Porsche track car projects. You will spend hours and hours there, like I have.

Nice work Jack, and very well presented. :thumbsup: :applause:

We now return to your regularly scheduled programming.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies