Latest on foamies

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Latest on foamies

Postby CanuckShooter » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:35 pm

mikeschn wrote:When doing that large, you probably want to use framing like they do on the cargo trailers.

Look at Glen's large build to get more ideas... you can see the ribs on page 20
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?p=966179#p966179

Mike...

P.S. This is the largest foamie I've ever done... http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=44091

I do have a few ideas for the walls, it's the roof that concerns me, having it stiff enough to handle a snow load mainly. I'm really early in the planning stages, and it's looking like my build will have to start next spring. I am finding windows and doors to be super expensive...and the foam to be pricey too. $27 for 2x8x 1 1/2 WOW, so will want to look closer at the 4x8 sheets of white foam.
CanuckShooter
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:52 am

CS , if you think this is expensive , go buy a commercially made trailer for 10 times the price that will most certainly fall apart in a couple of years .... Now that’s EXPENSIVE!!! :R
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby pchast » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:49 pm

Talk to a Commercial Roofing Contractor in your area for foam sheets. :thinking:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:33 pm

So I'm guessing that no one has built one of these...

:?

Okay, so let's make it more attractive, eh?

Ideas?

Mike...

The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:43 pm

Well sorta’ ... :D 85658
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:32 pm

Hey no fair... you built that before I did up the super simplifed foamie. :lol:

Where did we end up with the support on the insides, the 1x4's to hold the walls to the floor. Was a better method ever suggested?

Mike...

GPW wrote:Well sorta’ ... :D 85658
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:27 am

Mike , we best ask Bonnie , as she owns the original now and had to deal with removing foam cabin from floor ( just glue and foam ....and fabric as usual + reinforcing strips) . At that size and with the angled roof creating strength , there was No framing anywhere except around door and window .. It’s one of our oldest Foamies (here) ... now refurbished with new added on Galley ... :thumbsup: Can’t wait for Bonnie to finish ... 8)

For the little ones , we still see little need for support framing when using 2” thick foam ... except doors ... It’s plenty strong just Foam and canvas, and now we’re waiting to do our inside on the new trailer ( planning) with chipboard like on the FoamStream ...that worked out well, was much easier to glue up than canvas, and even with the thicker chipboard , It’s easily waterproofed ... unlike it's laminated cousin ( Mr. plywood)

One of the curiosities of Foamies is the low mass ... The light structure doesn’t develop the momentum of the heavier cabins , so they really don’t flex much from bumps and shakes ...although being more flexible ( without damage) than the traditional materials ...

Watching an old episode of “ Top Gear “ on TV , we saw a wooden TD shake itself apart on a bumpy mountain road , the cabin flexing , the door opened up and swung out, that additional leverage tore that side wall off and the whole thing collapsed from there... all in a few seconds... :frightened:
We accidentally ran the one wheel of the FS over a prominent concrete curb and it jumped sideways into the air , then came down and landed and didn’t even bounce ... ( low mass , low inertia) ... seems a little extra weight makes a Big difference ..
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby depatty » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:43 am

mikeschn wrote:Just for fun, I took a full sheet of 2" foam and clamped it to the table. I left 6 feet overhanging. Then I measured it completely horizontal. It was 32" from the ground. Then Chell put a little bit of pressure on it with one finger and was able to bring it down to 16", no problem. So we can drop it 16" over 6'. What would that look like?

Okay, I had to try it. Here's 16" over 8' (certainly doable, since the test was at 6')

Mike...

I realize that this post is nearly 2 years old, but I'm interested in trying this curve on the foamie I am finally getting around to starting on. So my question is; What is the easiest way to draw it (full size) with some repeatability. :thinking:

TIA
Dave
depatty
Teardrop Master

Postby Don L. » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:55 pm

I made a cardboard template by taping flattened boxes together. Tape each side where there are joints and folds with packing tape and it is pretty stiff.

Also the foam will bend a tighter radius if you run a few strips of packing tape on the outside (convex side) of the foam board.
Link to my foamie camper build viewtopic.php?f=55&t=67321
instagram #don_leister_violin.rva
Don L.
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Foamies