new product

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

new product

Postby bobhenry » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:39 am

http://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalo ... -deck-coat

I have been entertaining a facelift for chubby. The 7+ years of setting outside 24-7 has taken it's toll on the sheathing.
I have a very large roll of material that is used to reface those freestanding cubical dividers. I am seriously considering placing it on
the deteriorated areas after a patch repair.

Both the 4x and 10 x appear to be some type of rubberized latex base. I was hoping to get a look at the MSDS sheet to see
what the active ingredients are but no luck.

Has anyone else given this new product a look or perhaps have some experience with it.

Foamie or standard build it might be the king when sealing the deck and underside for water proofing of a new tiny trailer build :thinking:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Re: new product

Postby KCStudly » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:57 am

Jscherb used something like that, Rescueit, to top coat his fiberglass and ply trail top parts. Seems to have worked good for him. http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?p=1100626#p1100626
Last edited by KCStudly on Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:29 am

Wonder what they meant by this :

"REGARDLESS OF AGE OR SURFACE CONDITION, FAILURE TO FOLLOW ONE OF THESE PREPARATION METHODS WILL RESULT IN POOR ADHESION AND POSSIBLE COATING FAILURE. NEW AND SEALED WOOD DECKS NEED TO WEATHER AT LEAST SIX MONTHS BEFORE APPLICATION. “ :o

Sounds like they want you to BUY more of their stuff ... although it’s all basically chemically the same ... :roll:

I’d like to try some on my little porch deck ... Can’t seem to keep paint on it ... ( House paint )
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby wagondude » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:36 pm

The way I read it, it means that if you stained and water sealed your deck, you should wait six months before coating it with the surfacer product. The sealant/water repellant will prevent the surfacer from bonding with the wood.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Kaz » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:41 pm

I used it on my deck and it looked great, for one summer! Following spring it all but peeled off. After a battle with rustoleum I got my money back. I would not recommend it. I'd spend the money on marine topside paint.
Kaz
Kaz
Silver Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:49 pm

I've not used it myself but have seen two jobs. One has some areas that flaked off after a year, the other has not. Could be a lot to do with the quality of preparation and understanding and following their directions. IMO
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:50 pm

With the older PT wood they always recommended letting it season for a year or so to let the treatment chemicals dry out. I'm thinking that the wait period is at least in part due to the types of woods that are typically used in deck building; PT, cedar, redwood, the latter being resin rich. Just guessing.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Return to Foamies