Foam Tables?

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Foam Tables?

Postby GPW » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:58 am

Yes , but mine ,save the first one , were SIMPLE !!! :D
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:47 am

I did build a foamie table didn't I? :lol: It worked out good. My big dog Simba loved it. :wine:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby WoodSmith » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:02 pm

So I'm making progress with my table, I have my frames made and filled with 1" pink foam. I'm getting ready to glue on some plywood for the playing surface. Until working with this I had no idea just how much lighter foam is than plywood! I've been weighing things as I go, just to keep track, my frames, with embedded hardware and the foam weighs in around 1.7 Kg (my daughters triple beam balance sez). The sheet of 1/4 inch ply that I plan on putting on for a playing surface is 2.3 Kg!

I'm doing up a test sample (so I can maintain membership in the foamie group! :D ) and I'm wondering what ratio TB2 gets thinned for applying canvas? I know I have read it, but looking around, I can't find it. I'm going to try plywood on one side and canvas on the other, just to see what I think and the other folks who will be using this table think.

Glen

Pics should be here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/115947008938138738604/BuildingFLLTables2015?feat=email
Glen Smith
Build Journal
WoodSmith
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:59 am

I'm only on my 2nd foamie, and I couldn't even finish the first one! :oops:

But regarding your table, sure you can canvas the underside. Have you really thought about those 2x4 dado joints? Are you going to be able to keep them straight so that you can assemble them?

I'm guessing this is what you are trying to improve on...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:30 am

Plywood is 57lb / cu.ft. ... Foam is 2 lb/cu.ft. ... BIG difference!!! :o

Once again , we’re thinking of a chipboard surface on the table ... as long as you’re not going to impersonate Jose Greco on it ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:41 am

To put that in other terms, the 4x8x2" foam was 8 pounds per sheet.

Mike...

GPW wrote:Plywood is 57lb / cu.ft. ... Foam is 2 lb/cu.ft. ... BIG difference!!! :o

Once again , we’re thinking of a chipboard surface on the table ... as long as you’re not going to impersonate Jose Greco on it ... :thinking:
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:16 am

Yeah Mike , we guess so ... and it’s a good way of guesstimating the cabin weight ...

Thought on tables ... FWIW ... Thinking how strong a 2” thick foam table would be with a nominal .050“ chipboard on both sides ... Light as a pizza box , strong enough to stand on ...
1” thick done the same way would still make a durable table ... and table parts ... At maybe half the weight of standard plywood tables ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby WoodSmith » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:47 am

Mike, yes that is exactly what I am trying to improve upon. That version looks like it's OK for the floor, but that will get lame quickly, and the adults will get lame quicker!

The tongue and groove works perfectly so far, it slides together with a light push, and actually holds the frames together well enough that you can pick up 2 by holding onto 1.

GPW, I had forgotten about the chip board, I shall look some more for a supplier who carries 32x48 inch stock.

Thinning glue? Anyone?
Glen Smith
Build Journal
WoodSmith
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:22 am

Glue thinning .... what we’ve done ...

for sizing canvas 25% glue , 75% water ...
for applying heavy canvas 25% water 75% glue ... light canvas ,bed-sheet 50%-50%
for foam to foam , foam to wood , foam to chipboard ( or any canvas overhead) .... use 100%
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Previous

Return to Foamies