Bolt on tow package????

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Bolt on tow package????

Postby djdawg » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:01 pm

I figured I'd ask this in the foamie section even though anyone could answer it..."foamlings" tend to tow a lot less weight, right?

When I bought my....cough, cough...."new" vehicle a few months ago, I never thought I'd be towing anything behind it so I didn't even look or care. But now I do. The dealer can install a tow package for...eep....$600. A local trailer place for $400. (both Class 1 packages I believe) OR I can purchase a bolt on one at O'Reilly's for $200. And that's even for the Class 2 which is good for up to 3500 lbs which is overkill. I'm sure I could find a Class 1 setup for even less.

Anyone use these bolt ons? Any recommendations? I'm fairly handy with a wrench but by no means a mechanic. And if I have to put this thing up on a hydraulic lift I'm screwed. How difficult are they to install? I'm not AS concerned since it will be towing a foamie but I'd love some input.
Kevin
Bellingham, WA
djdawg
Teardrop Master

Re: Bolt on tow package????

Postby tac422 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:29 pm

I've done several myself, they're not hard to do. No lift required. Just follow the instructions, you can probably find a Utube video for your specific vehicle.
The hardest part is threading a wire through the frame.
I've used the link below before to buy from....

http://www.etrailer.com/
tac422
500 Club

Postby djdawg » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:31 pm

tac422 wrote:I've done several myself, they're not hard to do. No lift required. Just follow the instructions, you can probably find a Utube video for your specific vehicle.
The hardest part is threading a wire through the frame.
I've used the link below before to buy from....

http://www.etrailer.com/

:applause:
Kevin
Bellingham, WA
djdawg
Teardrop Master

Postby Wolfpack » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:06 pm

If you have an SUV, you maybe install the hitch with the vehicle on the ground. My car and previous cars were low to the ground, and I was easily able to do it with the back wheels on service ramps.
Wolfpack
Teardrop Builder

Postby Padilen » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:09 pm

What is the vehicle ? Some are easier than others. What are you getting for those prices? Hitch & wiring?
A hitch isn't a tow package, now they have ( can) hitch, trailer wiring 7&4, sway control integrated brake controller and tow mirrors trans cooler heavy duty engine cooling and power steering cooler. If it's a newer vehicle some are wired already.
I've added wiring and hitches to most of my vehicles. My Jeep Liberty was the easiest! I bought MOPAR hitch & harness. But that didn't get me "tow package". That was factory only. This time I got the tow package! and haven't used it yet.
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby djdawg » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:15 pm

[quote="Padilen"]What is the vehicle ? Some are easier than others. What are you getting for those prices? Hitch & wiring?
A hitch isn't a tow package, now they have ( can) hitch, trailer wiring 7&4, sway control integrated brake controller and tow mirrors trans cooler heavy duty engine cooling and power steering cooler. If it's a newer vehicle some are wired already.
I've added wiring and hitches to most of my vehicles. My Jeep Liberty was the easiest! I bought MOPAR hitch & harness. But that didn't get me "tow package". That was factory only. This time I got the tow package! and haven't used it yet.[

Oh, great point! I better find out what I get. I have an '05 Dodge Grand Caravan....I know, sexy. :lol:
Kevin
Bellingham, WA
djdawg
Teardrop Master

Postby ukewarrior » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:19 pm

I would only want a bolt on hitch !
No way I want someone with a torch near my car.

I've done a new bolt on hitch, every two year, for the last 13 years.
On the SUVs, I didn't even need to jack the rear end of the car off the ground.
Most newer cars come with frame holes already drilled and ready to go.
These have the added advantage that when the leased car goes back, I take the hitch off and sell it on craigslist if it won't fit the new car.

Also, just search online for the best deal.
About 99% of all car hitches are just two manufacturers.
So, just go with the least cost item.
However, do check what is included.
Some come with a draw bar and pin and some don't.
If you shop around, you should be able to get one, with free shipping for under $200.
Most of these online suppliers also have installation videos specific to many common cars.
I've installed all of mine in less than an hour with no drilling.
ukewarrior
Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:33 pm

djdawg wrote:
Padilen wrote:What is the vehicle ? Some are easier than others. What are you getting for those prices? Hitch & wiring?
I've added wiring and hitches to most of my vehicles. My Jeep Liberty was the easiest! I bought MOPAR hitch & harness. But that didn't get me "tow package". That was factory only. This time I got the tow package! and haven't used it yet.[

Oh, great point! I better find out what I get. I have an '05 Dodge Grand Caravan....I know, sexy. :lol:

Hey I had 2 free caravans I liked them.
Ok
So like I said I added hitches to them. Mine were an 89 and 93. Draw tight made a hitch that Walmart carried. It's universal and fits a lot of different vehicles. It was around 100$. It worked on both. But I had to modify the exhaust on the 93 to use it. That's what I was doing when my van fell on me! ( not hurt just pinned).
I'd check if MOPAR makes one, then check price at local dealer (no shipping). Compare to other places. See if universal fits & price. Same with wiring. I don't like spliced pig tails but others use them.
MOPAR usually have a nicer look, tighter fit to body. At least the ones I've used.
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby pchast » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:57 pm

Look at Etrailer.com and check their instruction video.
It will show you what needs to be done.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Bolt on tow package????

Postby GerryS » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:58 am

Every hitch is a bolt on...the only time I've ever seen a smoke wrench used was where a jaguar owner insisted on watching the installer.. The installer pulled down the torch and lit up a huge smokey flame. The jag owner left with a slightly sick look on his face when the installer put out the torch and grabbed up the needed part and went to work.

The universal hitches are just that...lots of parts designed to allow the greatest flexibility during the install (we used to call them reese's pieces) ... At the sacrifice of simplicity. The custom fit were 1 piece and welded to fit only a couple cars or trucks (f150 and excursions, and maybe the crown Vic). Installation was typically 4 bolts and you were done. The only hard part was getting everything aligned, and we had some custom jigs for that.

Personally, it's worth the price difference to me to get a one piece install. Less points of failure. But in general, installs just meant following the directions with whatever product you bought, and taking your time. The hardest part was usually fishing bolts in the frame, and that just took several tries and s lot if creative vocabulary.

Finding a video or instruction for whatever you buy before you buy will help assess the few bucks saved by not just having it done. I've reached the point in my life where some things it's just easier to write a check. This is one of those jobs...
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Foamies