Chipboard outer skins , no canvas...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Chipboard outer skins , no canvas...

Postby GPW » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:14 pm

Big sale ... for an alternative finish ... at a good price http://bigduckcanvas.us2.list-manage1.c ... 6a87b95f48

saw that , had to post it ....
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:49 pm

Glenn,

You need to build one of those burlap teardrops and tells us how to do it! :thumbsup:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:08 am

Just sayin’ burlap would be a good (and Inexpensive) covering material ... I’m searching here for “burlap coffee bags" ... Lots of coffee imported here, so there must be a supply of FREE bags somewhere... We have some calls into the Coffee roasting places here, awaiting answers ... Probably will have to resort to my old scavenging trick and actually visit the company , and bring along my print portfolio... Last time I needed bread trays for a drying rack , we went to a bakery and I traded (bribed) the Boss to trade some bread trays for Art .... and also left with a BIG box of bread ,cakes , and pastries too ... :thumbsup: 8) :D

JMHO, Burlap would be PERFECT for a Camo paint job ... :thinking: :beer:

Mike , this year , we’re going to be smart and build a new trailer when it’s Not so darn HOT !!!! :fan: I have two empty trailers in the yard waiting ... :dancing
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:11 am

.... and still thinking that chipboard (used correctly) would be handy in any trailer build ... :thinking: Harder outer skin too ...

Just to clarify things ..... Regarding the Free Coffee bags ^ ... We’re not really a "cheap ba****d” It’s a Game we play .... scavenger hunt .... Anybody can go out and BUY materials for a Foamie , but part of the Foamling Spirit is not having to sell the farm to build and maintain a camper ... Use what you can find , buy what you can’t... “Thrifty” ... More money for Ballast ... :beer: :lol: :lol: :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:32 am

When I moved into my big building, it had been previously occupied by an office supply service. I never really gave it a thought but they actually recover those fancy chrome cubical dividers. There were 4 huge rolls of the stuff in the building. I am eyeballing the last one as a build media for a foam trailer as well. Perhaps a trip to a good office supply sales may net some stained or faded material that they would let go of for a good cause.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby GPW » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:55 pm

Wow!!! Good Find BH !!! :thumbsup: 8) ;) Nice big building ..... perfect for trailer building ... :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:05 am

Found a place that will do custom sizes of chipboard (Paper mart) just that the minimum order is 2000 pieces... :o That’s a start ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:24 pm

GPW - I haven't had a chance to check into it yet but a chipboard like paper/cardboard is used in upholstering on sofa arms and chair sides. Maybe an upholstery supply place would have this.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby GPW » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:28 am

Ooh !!! That’s a Good idea ... Upholstery places ... Thanks A79 !!! :thumbsup: 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby WoodSmith » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:45 am

GPW,

I went looking for a finish to apply over Chipboard and came back across this thread after doing some more searching. ULine has 40x48x0.05 inch in pallets of 250 for $363. a few less than the 2000 that I saw you found earlier in this thread. That works out to around $1.75 per piece after you figure in shipping. Its more than I want to invest until I'm sure that it works for my application, so I'm going to find some smaller first.

http://www.uline.com/BL_1852/Chipboard-Pads bottom of the page for the thick stuff.

Glen
Glen Smith
Build Journal
WoodSmith
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:45 pm

Wood , Thanks , that's a Great price ... we just need to find 10 other people to share with ... :o
Just me, I believe it holds some good possibilities for Foamie trailer building as an alternate material , lots of areas that need to be stiffened , but without the weight or temperament of plywood ... and from what we've seen in the inside of the FoamStream the chipboard makes a nice invisible wall material ... It looks like a wall so you don't notice it ... Nobody whose viewed the FS has remarked about the walls ... which is GOOD !!! Right ? ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Previous

Return to Foamies