OK, I'm building a foamie...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

OK, I'm building a foamie...

Postby videographer » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:07 pm

You guys have me convinced, building a foamie is the way to go. So here's issue #1... what to use for a platform?

My wife wants 6' wide, and I think 9' 6" - 10' is a good length. So I've been trolling Craigslist for trailer donors, and came across this for about $150:

It was advertised as 6' x 8', but the width between the wheels was only about 4' 10". Also, the wheels protrude above the metal base about 2", so either wheel wells or or raising the platform - or both - would have to be in the program. Overall, it seems that compromising right out of the gate when you want to be light is a bad idea. Am I off base here? It's probably still available.

What's the consensus on cantilevering over the wheels?

I see a lot of folks using the HF and Northern trailer platforms... is that the easiest way to get into the game? And has anyone used an aluminum trailer base? Lots of aluminum snowmobile trailers around here, although they tend to have small, inboard tires. Bad idea?

Thanks for all the inspiration and tips and clues I've gathered so far. I'm really excited to give this a try!
videographer
Teardrop Advisor

Re: OK, I'm building a foamie...

Postby Catherine+twins » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:37 pm

I think most people would suggest a trailer with 12" wheels, rather than 8", although my first ancient pop-up had 8". I'll let someone else address the overhang. My current trailer overhangs by 2" on either side so I could have 60" wide inside, but that hardly counts.
:D

Catherine
Build Thread Penguino II: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54919
Build Thread Penguino I: viewtopic.php?t=44431
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
"Oh, no, there it goes!!" Nov 10, 2012 as Penguino I blew over in high winds
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby bespurcell » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Here's what another member did. viewtopic.php?f=50&t=58559&start=15
bespurcell
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KCStudly » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:56 pm

Seems to me that it depends on the look you want and how high you plan to go. If you want the traditional look of exposed fenders, then wider is better. If you want to build tall but don't want such a narrow base that tipping in the wind becomes more likely, then wider is better. If you plan on keeping things relatively low, and don't mind the look of wheels under the cabin, than you should have no trouble extending out just 7 inches on each side.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:47 am

.... and don’t forget to add the wall thickness on each side too ... Made mine 6’ wide on the Inside ... :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Return to Foamies