Camp Capsule Foamy

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Camp Capsule Foamy

Postby LostCajun » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:33 pm

ScottE wrote:Hi Craig,
I would be careful extending beyond the original trailer dimensions due to the issue of overhang.. when you go through dips and uneven terrain, that would increase the likelihood of dragging on the ground (not a lot of ground clearance already with the small wheels!) This trailer is very strong in it's current form and I believe that making the "tub" removable is reasonable, if you tie the body to the trailer frame in key places, to retain the strength of the trailer's steel frame. I would be bolting the body to the frame in all 4 corners, as well as at least 2 more places on each side and the front width span and the top rails. I believe that that would keep things working together to resist flex and vibration.

Things I would change from my present design are few but there are some (as I've mentioned before):
- I would design the beds longer as separate bed units so sleepers don't have to crawl over one another at night.
- I would not use the weld on corner jacks, portable T jacks work well when needed and they're lighter!
- I would forego the bag toilet and just use a 5 gallon portable chemical toilet. Much less hassle and easily dumped into a regular toilet or outhouse (no one likes using the bags or the fact that they go into trash dumpsters)
- Lengthening the tongue was the best modification I mage to the base trailer, the handling on the road is superb.
- The side windows are large and have lots of surface area when the temperature outside is extreme (one way or the other.) I'll be cutting foil backed foam insulation to fit inside the window frames for those very cold nights. You do need to keep a window in the back cracked open a bit at night to keep the condensation on the inside under control. There is almost no thermal transfer through the walls or ceiling (insulation, duh!), but the plywood tub could be insulated for those who really need the cold weather protection.

Your plan to try/test things out as you go is exactly how I started out on this project and I encourage you to go for it. The process of designing/building things like this is, in my humble opinion, the most fun ever!
Good Luck and never hesitate to reach out to the fine members of this forum, they/we have made lots of mistakes that will be eagerly shared with folks who actually do something instead of just dreaming/talking about it, until it's too late!
:thumbsup:

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the reply and the additional ideas.

Good point on the overhang, I plan on the getting the tub built similar to your progress pics of the tub, install it and load the trailer up with scrap, distributing the weight and seeing what it does, I might build it first with the overhang, throw the weight in there and I am in the hills of east tn....no shortage of dips and bumps to test road clearance.....I live on one of the TVA lakes, I have a half dozen public launches that are nothing but a collection of rocks leading into the water at whatever the terrain offers.

I just missed a deal on some windows....I have time...

I plan to put a small number of computer fans in strategic locations to remove or to exchange air and humidity, I live in a RV for the last six years, I have a dedicated dehumidifier its a necessity. I am not restricted to a garage.....so a roof vent is probably in my future.....I already have a spare Maxx Air cover...

thanks,

Craig

Since I plan on most trips south back to New Orleans area insulation is a must, but for holding the cold in the trailer.....I have been thinking about what I am going to put between the expanded metal and the tub.....maybe a SIP....

We decided that we would have bed on long axis of trailer and not across, another reason to shoot for another foot in length....

And the toilet....yes to the tank...sealed for sure....with a few computer fans....
Building a teardrop or reasonable facsimile thereof
Build thread: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=70932
LostCajun
Teardrop Advisor

Postby LostCajun » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:26 am

ScottE,

Getting ready for a building burst of activity, I have a few more questions about your build.

What would you estimate is the weight of your bike rack, bike or bikes and others things in total that you have hung on the back of the trailer? And when you had the most weight hung on the back, how much effect on towing? I am thinking about cutting off the ramp at about a foot, installing drop leveling legs, to create a 'back porch' that I can secure in a locked horizontal position or lift and lock in place if I want to (securing the back door locked when stored). The purpose would be to carry a mobility scooter on the rear....a modified scooter....weight trimmed....while it is wider than a foot...(somewhere between a foot and two foot)...I think I can work with that....could also be used to carry Jerry Can's or ice chest....I have a few ideas for skids or wheelie wheels.....for ramp clearance......I drug my 30 footers a few times.....whacked a couple rear jacks....

What is your current thought with the choice of using the linoleum as 'buffer' between the expanded metal and the plywood floor? Are you experiencing any moisture retention with that setup? (I am still not decided yet what I will eventually do, thinking it will ultimately depend if I really build detachable or permanent) I am thinking I will just lay a layer of roll roofing (which I have some on hand) for the interim, if I can find something that is light weight and figure out how much is needed and some way to fasten that I like.....I will probably go with some type of runners attached to bottom of trailer floor. But, I am not going to get hung up on that....I am going to build it first so I can start using it.

I am getting ready to make decisions of interior height and that will drive my shape of roof angles, probably going to trim a few inches from your build.

And instead of dinette setup I am going to go for something similar to what is done in commercial units 'Rustic Trails' teardrops.....3 fold queen mattress sofa to pull out bed....when in the sofa position.....directly in front of sofa is a seat dinette cushion on either side....with small table in center......the pullout will be finger alternates futon style.....with a lockable angled sofa back/vertical locked head rest.

inspiration from your build...sealed the deal....I should just copy it exactly....

Craig
LostCajun
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:35 am

Craig, just an idea …. You can haul ANYTHING Heavy on the back ( boats do it all the time with those HEAVY outboards … ) Remember your cajun pragmatism … more weight in the back , move the axle back … It’s all a question of balance , like a see saw ...with wheels … ;)

I saw a boat the other day with Four Big Yamaha outboards on the back , and the trailer had four wheels …. on each side :o … It was a BIG boat … Not a Yacht , it was rigged for Fishing … 8)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:02 am

Just make sure to keep at least 8-10% of the total mass on the tow ball.

Essential for safe towing, even at moderate speeds.

And you do get **much** safer dynamics at highway speeds if most of the weight is within the longitudinal area of the axles and laterally between the wheels,

and of course lower CoG the better.

But reducing your towing speed will compensate for lots of sub-optimal distribution, and even getting too close to max weight ratings.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby LostCajun » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:33 pm

GPW wrote:Craig, just an idea …. You can haul ANYTHING Heavy on the back ( boats do it all the time with those HEAVY outboards … ) Remember your cajun pragmatism … more weight in the back , move the axle back … It’s all a question of balance , like a see saw ...with wheels … ;)

I saw a boat the other day with Four Big Yamaha outboards on the back , and the trailer had four wheels …. on each side :o … It was a BIG boat … Not a Yacht , it was rigged for Fishing … 8)

Pragmatic? by culture...and necessity....when I was younger I could plunge into 'forcing' that idea of being able to make anything do anything.....I keep forgetting and running up against the age imposed limitations of increased improbability of achievement no matter the acquired proven knowledge...

My goal here is to 'make' this trailer 'do' what I want it to do....with the least amount of changes....or with changes that I can visualize, and visualize affording...initial visual doesn't include any welding....extend tongue....by unbolting the current one and replacing it with a longer tube, and bolting two diagonal braces to stiffen front of the box....

I am hoping to go one step at a time with my idea for the rear 'porch'.....cut the ramp down to size.....figure out how to 'lock' it in place (have a couple of ideas).....if it doesn't work.....of course I could move the axle.....probably would just stop right there....and then I would do what I should do right now....is cut the ramp off at the hinge....but.....it isn't the destination.....its the journey......just think of all the lessons I might learn or miss out on?

John61CT,

I stopped driving in a hurry a long time ago....so I enjoy the benefits of all that entails.....I am always on time (my time)....

everything you said.....

Craig
LostCajun
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ScottE » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:35 am

Hi Craig,

I like your idea about the ramp/porch/rack thingy. My bike rack is not a problem from a weight standpoint as the whole package, with bikes, weighs less than 40 lbs... What I don't like is the hassle of moving it to access my door. It may seem trivial but hassles "add up" when you're trying to simply camp. We actually just carried my bike on our bed the last time we went out, that was pretty simple. Do watch your ground clearance as these trailers have very little and any extension will add to that situation as the angles change. Remember that whenever you scrape going through low points in the roads, driveways, or back roads, the rear "bumper" of the trailer seems to take the brunt of it. Keep an eye on anything delicate on the rear bumper/gate area and maybe consider a simple "skid plate", or something to absorb this punishment.... So far, I've scraped my rear bumper area and my spare tire (mounted under the right front corner), but no real damage was done due to the light weight of the whole thing.

I'm having no problems with the linoleum tiles I used between my plywood "box" and expanded metal trailer floor, as they're self adhesive, they formed a nice water barrier over the heavy duty porch paint on the wood. The whole thing's dry as a bone.

As a side note, we had a crazy rain downpour during our last outing and I was really surprised how loud the rain was on my roof! Sounded like a machine gun!

Have Fun!
Scott
Anything is possible, if you don't know it can't be done!
ScottE
Teardrop Advisor

Postby LostCajun » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:54 am

ScottE wrote:Hi Craig,

I like your idea about the ramp/porch/rack thingy. My bike rack is not a problem from a weight standpoint as the whole package, with bikes, weighs less than 40 lbs... What I don't like is the hassle of moving it to access my door. It may seem trivial but hassles "add up" when you're trying to simply camp. We actually just carried my bike on our bed the last time we went out, that was pretty simple. Do watch your ground clearance as these trailers have very little and any extension will add to that situation as the angles change. Remember that whenever you scrape going through low points in the roads, driveways, or back roads, the rear "bumper" of the trailer seems to take the brunt of it. Keep an eye on anything delicate on the rear bumper/gate area and maybe consider a simple "skid plate", or something to absorb this punishment.... So far, I've scraped my rear bumper area and my spare tire (mounted under the right front corner), but no real damage was done due to the light weight of the whole thing.

I'm having no problems with the linoleum tiles I used between my plywood "box" and expanded metal trailer floor, as they're self adhesive, they formed a nice water barrier over the heavy duty porch paint on the wood. The whole thing's dry as a bone.

As a side note, we had a crazy rain downpour during our last outing and I was really surprised how loud the rain was on my roof! Sounded like a machine gun!

Have Fun!
Scott

I wonder what the rack weighs by itself? What I wish is that the hinge wasn't welded in place....I have seen at least one instance on the internet where someone modified the hinge....where they could slide the ramp into the hinge to either put the ramp on the trailer or take it off....but, since this isn't the case....welded either on, or cut it off....I thought what would be the next 'easiest thing to do and still retain some level of multiple use, without extreme hassle....I came up with cutting off the ramp to some as of yet undefined length....

This still has some unresolved issues.....becaause the construction of the whole trailer is 2" angle iron.....the rear of the trailer and starting edge of the ramp are back to back angles.....while the 4' ramp while contact the ground at the 4' length....if trimmed down to 2' it will not be able to travel on the hinge to contact the ground.....the two angles will contact each other and travel will stop short of hanging down enough....

So, if I go forward with this it will only be locked straight out horizontal, or can be raised vertical and locked in place.

I haven't decided anything on spare tire yet, except that I will have one....I believe I do already....I believe my boat has the same tires and wheels....my setup is a little different than yours....I have the 13" inch tires from carryon....

The tongue is the same as yours originally....I understand about the tube for the tongue.....just get a longer tube....I have tried zooming in on your diagonal bracing from the trailer box to the tongue....is that welded on or bolted on?

With the linoleum 'glued' to the floor....I understand....I thought it was just 'floating' between the expanded metal and floor....

As far as 'hassle'....I am willing to have less on the trailer...or change the way I use other parts of the trailer...if what I have overall is easy to use....for me at this stage of the game....it is a necessity. The reason I seem to be all over the place....is I am looking for 'ease' of building....to get ease of use later....not a pair that usually travel together....the hardest thing I want to face while on the road....is putting a key in the back door. (we haven't even starting talking about the Arduinos....)

Craig
LostCajun
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ScottE » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:57 am

My bike rack alone weighs <10 lbs (!) and my extended tongue diagonal bracing is bolted on. I wanted to leave the possibility open of changing the bracing to incorporate other storage ideas but it turned out great just the way I set it up.
:thumbsup:
ScottE
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jimbo69ny » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:59 am

Great thread! Just read it! Thank you for sharing. I have a youtube channel that I will be documenting my new build on. Youtube.com/jimbo69ny

I drive an EV so I am building a teardrop over a range extending trailer. I call it the T-Rex for Tesla range extender aka Trailer range extender aka Teardrop range extender.

I built a range extender over the spring and it worked out great. Now I am building a larger one and incorporating a foamy on top.
jimbo69ny
Teardrop Master

Postby rjgimp » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:09 pm

Great build. Your gray tank is brilliant. Mounted sideways, you end up with very little of the tail wagging the dog when it is partially full in transit. Looks like a 4" pipe. What is the total length and what gallon capacity did you end up with?

Have you ever contemplated a composting toilet?
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby ScottE » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:37 pm

The grey water tank capacity runs nearly the entire width and my best guess is ~7 - 8 gallon capacity. I think a composting toilet would work fine, I'm using a portable chemical toilet because of restrictions in some California state campgrounds. I've actually been turned away, from a reserved site, because we were then using a WAG bag toilet. I had to go and purchase a "tank type chemical toilet" so the park rangers would let me in (I get it, people can be irresponsible when disposing of WAG bags.)
ScottE
Teardrop Advisor

5 Year Update

Postby ScottE » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:30 am

CampCapsule_022021.jpg
CampCapsule_022021.jpg (973.64 KiB) Viewed 2686 times
5 Years have passed since building my foam Camp Capsule! No leaks, no cracks, paint still looks great, tows like a dream! I moved the spare tire from underneath to the rear bumper mount, originally designed for our bikes, for off road clearance. We now use a battery powered pump for our fresh water as it's simpler and much easier to use. I highly recommend the use of LED strip lighting as my house battery lasts a really long time! The built in USB charging port is a great feature and other campers in our family love to use it when in a group. The insulation in the ice box isn't up to par with modern standards and we routinely use a good ice chest for cold food/drink storage. I'm in the process of designing an external rear mount for a portable BBQ grill to keep things clean when packing. Overall, foam/canvas construction has proven to be very robust and durable!
ScottE
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:16 am

8) :thumbsup: … another satisfied customer …. :applause:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Gold5one » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:35 am

Great to see that your build is holding up well!
There are many advantages to having a side overhang for folks who like to carry a lot of outdoor gear.
Low weight, like you have, is a big key for good mpg. I got almost 20mpg with my 700lb shell driving 15 miles each way to get it weighted, but by the time it was fully fitted out inside and loaded for trips the mpg was down to 16.
"the slow road has the most adventure"
Mark

2022- Trek Freedom camper- journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74522

Weekender-XL build journal
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=61445
sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

Postby ScottE » Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:36 pm

Just returned from a 4 day stint at French Camp in the Sierras. Trailer did a fantastic job keeping us warm in a beautiful place. Planning to paint soon, and do some cosmetic upgrades (eyebrows over the rear windows, and bracing my homemade door), but she's as structurally sound as the day she was finished!172061
ScottE
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to Foamies