Ultra Light Foamie Weekender (sleep Platform)

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Sleep platform

Postby Ned B » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:17 pm

Thanks Jim, I'll get my hitch installed on the car in the meantime... Order the hinges, etc...
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ned B » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:47 am

Did a bunch of reading on electrical systems yesterday... This build is going to be on a minimal budget initially... So I'm going to have to do the overall build in stages.

Stage 1 will be the overall trailer assembly; frame, floor, shell (including simple AC plus wiring for DC) and PMF. In teardrop terms campable... And truthfully for my intended use as a sleeper 'finished.' I'll put either an air mattress or a camping pad in and it will be good enough.

Stage 2 will be adding a couple more amenities: better mattress, and a basic 12v system and plastic-dip spray on the exterior. A couple of lights and a USB charging point or two inside.

Stage 3 is where I'll take it If I find I'm using as a camper, at that point I'll add a full on PDwhatsitall power center and possibly a solar panel & converter as well.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ned B » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:04 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455912086.529339.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455912086.529339.jpg (42.25 KiB) Viewed 1624 times

Started working on interior components. The mattress is a cut down queen, at 56" wide. The walls of the counter/divider is of 1/2" ply, except for the actual counter which is 3/4"

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455912062.028042.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455912062.028042.jpg (24.39 KiB) Viewed 1624 times
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:40 pm

8) :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:09 pm

Now that I'm looking at it there is a fair amount of volume for storage in the nose. I just have to build out into the cabin a couple of inches.
I'm planning on shelving or bins inside the cabin below the countertop. Most likely as part of Stage 2.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:31 am

Thank Goodness for a Sleeper , you don’t need to add much else ... You can always add more later ... ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:14 am

GPW wrote:Thank Goodness for a Sleeper , you don’t need to add much else ... You can always add more later ... ;)

That's my thought too. I'm going to put a 'front' wall in the nose, but will put some sort of storage up there too.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:17 am

You know if you get the angle right , you can throw a big pad or Pillow up on that lower front wall as a back rest ...for sitting back reading or such ... :thinking: ( Reclining )
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:27 pm

I'll check that out when I get to that point in the build. I think I may put a foam bulkhead there... With braces for the nose.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby troubleScottie » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:32 pm

I wanted to comment on the stage 1, stage 2 , stage 3 wiring plan.

The biggest issue with this is most people wire inside the walls/ceiling which means you have to fully commit early in the process. In addition, you have to design/guess what you need to make the next stage work. For example, if running AC wiring, you cannot easily add a few more inches if it does not quite reach the PDwhatever ;) A plan might be to put the last AC receptacle near where you distribution box will be. Then you only need to rewire from the receptacle to the PD.

Most people wire DC as home runs eg the wire goes from the distribution panel/fuse box/common bus all the way to the device. If you are going to change the end point later, you need to leave a fair amount of extra wire (1-3 feet??). Again, although possible to lengthen with splices, it is more prone to failure.

Alternatively, I have seen several people have build wiring races in the floor or along the ceiling to handle this. You still need to think about how the wiring is going to be so you have future flexibility.

Second, I do not see where you are going to put the battery, distribution box, bus bars, charger, inverter, etc. They take up some depth -- 6 to 12 inches. And, in the case of the battery, has some mass. On a more typical design, the bulkhead and space immediately behind it between the main sleeping area and the galley and/or the galley is utilized. For you, an obvious place is the left top in your current design drawing. And you do not want other things like clothes, etc piled on top of them. So they would have to be partitioned away. You might need or want to take out the battery at some time, so access is needed. Plus some place/hole for the external power feed. You need to charge the battery some time even if it is only when you are parked at home.

Alternatively, a tongue box could work with the obvious caveats for running wiring -- now from the main cabin, through the wall and into the tongue box.

Finally, I find it really difficult to work in confined spaces doing detail work. Doing the electrical rework will fall into this category. Add lots of tiny screws, a hot soldering iron, reaching into small areas, working bent over on your knees with bad lightning, you might find it a bit daunting. Cutting a hole for the PD into an fully assembled wall/TT might be difficult. The better part of valor may be to design, decide, buy and install most of it up front.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Sleep platform

Postby Ned B » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:09 pm

Wow, thanks Scott....
troubleScottie wrote:I wanted to comment on the stage 1, stage 2 , stage 3 wiring plan.

The biggest issue with this is most people wire inside the walls/ceiling which means you have to fully commit early in the process. In addition, you have to design/guess what you need to make the next stage work. For example, if running AC wiring, you cannot easily add a few more inches if it does not quite reach the PDwhatever ;) A plan might be to put the last AC receptacle near where you distribution box will be. Then you only need to rewire from the receptacle to the PD.

One thing to keep in mind these are working sketches... I'm ironing out the shape, I haven't filled in the details yet, and it's still just pixels in a file.

That being said I truly appreciate the input and advice!

Looking at wiring needs for AC: I'm familiar with having a PD4045, along with a deep discharge battery & its requirements. I had a commercial built trailer 25 yrs ago.

For this unit, even at full on camper stage 3 it will need what... Two or three duplex outlets in the galley, plus another 2 -4 outlets in the cabin. And if I really splurge one outlet per side on the exterior. (Truthfully I can't see the last... It's only 12' long, I'll run an extensive from inside). No matter what I'll put a chase or conduits from the space below the galley to the 4 corners of the trailer, with wiring and enough to reach intended outlets and/or switches.

So AC stage 1. Put in the external line In plug on the left rear corner, with a grounded gfci fixture and a plug in the galley, another in the cabin for basic power needs. I'd also have the space laid out for the pd4045 and so forth. (See the basic electrical setup sticky in electrical secrets sub forum)

Stage 2 would be to add the full 6 outlets and the pd4045. I'd also put in the battery setup at this point.

Most people wire DC as home runs eg the wire goes from the distribution panel/fuse box/common bus all the way to the device. If you are going to change the end point later, you need to leave a fair amount of extra wire (1-3 feet??). Again, although possible to lengthen with splices, it is more prone to failure.

I'm in the make or install runs 'camp' . Ill probably go with a run along each wall ... (I'm brainstorming here by the way).

I'll be putting two general use LED fixtures as sconces so to speak in the cabin. The galley will get the same, with possibly one more light on the underside of the hatch.

There will be one 'porch' light on each side near the door, and one light on the tail.

The trailer marker lights and turn signals etc will all have wires run as needed. They will run separate from the 'house' systems.

Second, I do not see where you are going to put the battery, distribution box, bus bars, charger, inverter, etc. They take up some depth -- 6 to 12 inches. And, in the case of the battery, has some mass. On a more typical design, the bulkhead and space immediately behind it between the main sleeping area and the galley and/or the galley is utilized. For you, an obvious place is the left top in your current design drawing. And you do not want other things like clothes, etc piled on top of them. So they would have to be partitioned away. You might need or want to take out the battery at some time, so access is needed. Plus some place/hole for the external power feed. You need to charge the battery some time even if it is only when you are parked at home.

Alternatively, a tongue box could work with the obvious caveats for running wiring -- now from the main cabin, through the wall and into the tongue box.

Stage 1 for the DC is extremely simple: Wire runs and chases with appropriate wiring and spares for upgrades. Campable for stage 1 is going to be weather tight and road worthy. I am aiming at catching a few hours of sleep in rest areas or Wally World snoozes, nothing more. (About two nights a month or as needed in an emergency ) I'll use my phone for light and alarm . It will start out fully charged off the dash & last long enough for my needs.
As for the power entry, see stage 1 of AC.

The battery will live in the utility area beneath the galley. Vented battery box will be in place. The rest of the items will mount to panels that will go in the same area. I'll carefully lay out the runs & keep it easy access . I don't want a tongue box beyond the nose cone section of the trailer. Clothing etc will not be stored near the components. . Where exactly, well we'll see about that later.

Stage 2 DC will take things to having the battery, plus the various circuits live. Including a couple of USB charging ports, a couple of classic 12v ports, the lighting and the vent fan.

Finally, I find it really difficult to work in confined spaces doing detail work. Doing the electrical rework will fall into this category. Add lots of tiny screws, a hot soldering iron, reaching into small areas, working bent over on your knees with bad lightning, you might find it a bit daunting. Cutting a hole for the PD into an fully assembled wall/TT might be difficult. The better part of valor may be to design, decide, buy and install most of it up front.

Sound advice; my plan is to do detailed plans for the necessary components, put in what's needed as I go. I'm no small guy, so I'll do as much assembly on the bench that I'm able to manage.

Also while I would rather do it all up front, that simply isn't going to happen, not if I hope to keep a happy wife on board as it were.

Again thank you for your support & thoughtful advice! I'll keep it in mind going forward. :grin:

Re-read my post. I forgot stage 3 DC: solar panels, controller & another battery.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Sleep platform

Postby Ned B » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:56 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456199781.057301.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456199781.057301.jpg (19.17 KiB) Viewed 1498 times

Headboard

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456199747.871476.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456199747.871476.jpg (24.55 KiB) Viewed 1498 times

Battery location

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456199720.117624.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456199720.117624.jpg (24.71 KiB) Viewed 1498 times

View of pd4045 location
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Sleep platform

Postby Ned B » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:23 am

Ok got a little more time on the computer tonight...
Sketched in a few more details
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456377831.073675.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456377831.073675.jpg (40.94 KiB) Viewed 1436 times

I'm going to frame the doors with 3/4 stock...

I'm also framing in for the ceiling vent.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456377620.662833.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456377620.662833.jpg (20.02 KiB) Viewed 1436 times

I saw a thread about using ryobi 18v battery packs with a misting fan... I'm betting I can cobble up a mount for the fan. That means a less expensive way to keep air moving.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ned B » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:13 pm

I think late tonight I am going to build the wooden frames for the nose and tail in sketchup. I'm waiting to pick up my teenager for a movie after he gets out of school… We are going to go see "Deadpool" which we both have been greatly looking forward to.

I think I am going to use the wire chases to connect the frame sections killing two birds with one stone. I already have the minimal galley that stage 1 will get designed, but my earlier today sketches have me starting over on the skeleton framing.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ned B » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:46 am

GPW wrote:Make note to self .... Must resist urge to build it like a Sherman Tank ... :roll: What started as a simple sleeper has now grown to full TD status ... with electrical system ... :o
On the other hand you could make the framework with a stained Americana look for a Timber-frame appeal ... End the "timbers" in a design, like a bald eagle head or something appropriately artistic ... plenty of attachment points for the lamps and the computer, stereo , X box , and the big flat screen TV .... :R :lol:

LOL ok... I refer you to several posts above about adding features.

That being said... I'm a woodworker, I don't trust foam to support hinges for doors. While I'm up there I need something to anchor the roof vent.

The doors will have minimal amount of wood as well, that leaves the galley... I'm using 1/2" for all but the counter top, the 'box' for the counter is there to lend some rigidity to the cabin.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies