Ultra Light Foamie Weekender (sleep Platform)

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Sleep platform

Postby GPW » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:40 am

What do you feel comfortable with Ned ?  :thinking: Either way should work fine , the rounded front and back do add some rigidity by themselves ...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:44 am

I think the reason I had to add roof spars was due to the weight of my inner ceiling ply and the sequence I chose for assembly. The arch I put in the main section of my roof simple was not sufficient for the ply to be self supporting. Because I was not prepared to build the whole ceiling assembly to shape (foam and ply) off of the cabin (like Aggie79/Tom did on the Silver Beatle), and figured building temporary supports would be more of a hassle, I opted for permanent spars applied to the top of the ceiling panel before putting it on top and forming over the profile. This ended up working well for me.

If you are doing a pure foamie with inner canvas skin applied after the fact, or preformed foam like Laura did/is doing on her rear Superlegra hatch, then I think you might get away w/o spars; or at least just having them at the roof vent. Also remember that I am concerned about the possibility of large snow loads, so that was a factor in my decision.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:13 am

Snow loads .... :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:44 am

As a reference, I believe the building code around here requires a factor of 30 lbs/ft^2 for snow load (imagine an array of 5 gallon buckets half full of water crammed up against each other all across the roof of your camper and you'll get a pretty good sense of what this equals). I hope to be able to come up with inside storage for the bulk of the winter months, but it wasn't too long ago, just a year or two, that we got hit with ten inches in October. I could see TPCE sitting in the driveway still in October.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:25 am

Guess we all need to build for the local conditions we’re going to subject the trailer to ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:27 am

GPW wrote:What do you feel comfortable with Ned ?  :thinking: Either way should work fine , the rounded front and back do add some rigidity by themselves ...

GPW were you ever a psychologist? Lol.... No fair turning the question back on me! Seriously though I'm leaning towards as few wooden pieces as I'm able to put in, window/door jams, a few spars & whatever is needed for a galley.

KCStudly wrote:I think the reason I had to add roof spars was due to the weight of my inner ceiling ply and the sequence I chose for assembly. The arch I put in the main section of my roof simple was not sufficient for the ply to be self supporting. Because I was not prepared to build the whole ceiling assembly to shape (foam and ply) off of the cabin (like Aggie79/Tom did on the Silver Beatle), and figured building temporary supports would be more of a hassle, I opted for permanent spars applied to the top of the ceiling panel before putting it on top and forming over the profile. This ended up working well for me.

If you are doing a pure foamie with inner canvas skin applied after the fact, or preformed foam like Laura did/is doing on her rear Superlegra hatch, then I think you might get away w/o spars; or at least just having them at the roof vent. Also remember that I am concerned about the possibility of large snow loads, so that was a factor in my decision.

I'm probably going to see more snow loads in Syracuse than you will in CT. I don't have a garage , so it will sit outside between trips. That being said however I'm trying for in the range of 600-750 lbs if at all possible. I'll be doing inner & outer skins of canvas With TB2 PMF.
I'm figuring that the galley to act as a torsion box anchor for the hatch assembly; the boxes and counters will serve to tie the opening & walls together. With one or two sheets of plywood lending shear strength vertically and the counter doing so horizontally.

The roof and walls will be 2" foam . I'll put in a wood inset at the door jams, plus for the roof vent.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:39 am

Ned, curiously enough , my wife is a Psychologist , two of the guys in the band are Psychologists, my next door neighbor is the Psychologist on the Hoarders show on TV ... I’m surrounded by free Ken Psychologists... so If I repeat some of their redundant babble , please forgive ... :oops:

Pssst ... I just act eccentric and they stay away .... hahahaha :lol: Trailers of styrofoam ... Hmmmm ??? :NC :roll:

If you’re going to use plywood , you might consider thin ply glued to foam .... a “sandwich” ... Strong and Light ... Just an idea ... or even thick chipboard which can be totally waterproofed ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:16 am

GPW wrote:Ned, curiously enough , my wife is a Psychologist , two of the guys in the band are Psychologists, my next door neighbor is the Psychologist on the Hoarders show on TV ... I’m surrounded by free Ken Psychologists... so If I repeat some of their redundant babble , please forgive ... :oops:

Pssst ... I just act eccentric and they stay away .... hahahaha :lol: Trailers of styrofoam ... Hmmmm ??? :NC :roll:

If you’re going to use plywood , you might consider thin ply glued to foam .... a “sandwich” ... Strong and Light ... Just an idea ... or even thick chipboard which can be totally waterproofed ...

I think I'll stick with canvas outside, but chipboard inside sounds doable if I can find a source. You said art suppliers carry the chipboard iirc... There's one in Syracuse plus the Interweb.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:00 pm

We got our Chipboard from Utrecht in Brooklyn , but check other suppliers too, cause we definitely know you can get it in 4x8 sheets too ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:40 am

KennethW wrote:A fantastic fan requires very little power. I think you could run it for your use with a 12v drill battery. Just charge when you get home. Wiley windows do work great. I use a removable screen panel so I can put a small vented propane heater in the window hole(small buddy heater shining on a metal plate?) or swamp cooler pad. The screen panel and window fits next to each other so a lot of combinations are possible.

Ken, I like the minimal electric idea, but I'm not 'seeing' the 12v drill battery hookup. I've got 18v ryobi tools, including a light, but hooking a 12v tool battery to a trailer?
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby greygoos » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:49 am

Ned B wrote:
GPW wrote:Ned, curiously enough , my wife is a Psychologist , two of the guys in the band are Psychologists, my next door neighbor is the Psychologist on the Hoarders show on TV ... I’m surrounded by free Ken Psychologists... so If I repeat some of their redundant babble , please forgive ... :oops:

I think I'll stick with canvas outside, but chipboard inside sounds doable if I can find a source. You said art suppliers carry the chipboard iirc... There's one in Syracuse plus the Interweb.

One of the bookstores up at Syracuse University carries chipboard. Dont remember which one. They arent 4 x 8 but they are large.
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:26 pm

Be careful if you plan to use 18v. LED lights are sensitive to excessive voltage; their lifespans can be drastically reduced if hit with voltage outside of their specified range.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Sleep platform

Postby Ned B » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:47 pm

KCStudly wrote:Be careful if you plan to use 18v. LED lights are sensitive to excessive voltage; their lifespans can be drastically reduced if hit with voltage outside of their specified range.

KC if I were to do so I'd follow the KISS principle and get a 12v pack.

greygoos wrote:
One of the bookstores up at Syracuse University carries chipboard. Dont remember which one. They arent 4 x 8 but they are large.

I'll probably check with the art supply shop on Erie Blvd, in my experience on campus bookstores always have an exten$ive markup (or is that more properly expen$ive....).

gg are you in the Syracuse area? If so drop me a pm . Or even if you aren't...
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Sleep platform

Postby Ned B » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:52 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455742308.706354.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455742308.706354.jpg (27 KiB) Viewed 1321 times

Did some sketchup work today... Going to make a slightly modified Nano Weekender. Mike's sketch calls for losing 15" off of the trailer deck. I decided to leave the frame at 8'

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455741962.709927.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455741962.709927.jpg (16.25 KiB) Viewed 1321 times

There are several sketchup artifacts but you get the idea. Should be 6 or so sheets of 2" insulation

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455741890.334258.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455741890.334258.jpg (18.03 KiB) Viewed 1321 times

Minimal one shelf galley with a couple of shelves inside. Planning on Wiley windows in the doors & a fan on the roof. I'll also put in some air inlets low on the body for good ventilation.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby greygoos » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:19 pm

Looking good Ned. Can't wait for the weather to break up here. Jim
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies