Board floors , not plywood ...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Board floors , not plywood ...

Postby aggie79 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:56 am

It's hard to follow Fred's fine builds, but here's my two cents worth.

I built my teardrop on the principle of the exterior surfaces being as watertight as possible. My floor is epoxy and rubber auto undercoating covered plywood. My sides and roof are aluminum over epoxy coated plywood. All seams, trim, and accessories are bedded in sealant.

These assemblies shouldn't leak, but if they do, the interior surfaces are gas permeable, meaning any moisture that came in could evaporate to the inside. For my floor, I left the top sheet of the sandwich construction unfinished.

So far, so good.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Stargazer » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:16 am

KennethW ... What did you use for the subfloor between the foam floor and the trailer steel?

Gene
Stargazer
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KennethW » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:13 am

Stargazer wrote:KennethW ... What did you use for the subfloor between the foam floor and the trailer steel?
Gene

Painted canvas on the bottom, 2" foam( the stuff for under concrete) with glass board (FRP) on the top. The FRP spreads the load of your knees and on the bottom the HF trailer beams have plenty of square inches of support.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Stargazer » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:01 pm

Thanks for the quick response KennethW I really appreciate it. I am in the read, research and concept stage right now but after reading all of the plywood horror stories I like the idea of coated foam and no wood exposed to the environment.

Thanks again ... Gene
Stargazer
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:18 am

We’re just thinking more and more is the need for a proper drip edge on the bottom edges to eliminate a good bit of potential damage to the floor ... Directing any water , condensation , away from the floor entirely seems better than treating for an easily avoidable problem ... :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Previous

Return to Foamies