Sorting out loose ends for a new foamie, all input welcome

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Sorting out loose ends for a new foamie, all input welco

Postby vigilant1 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:03 pm

peeler wrote:Check this out - I sketched up something a little different, but same basic dimensions as before:

I like it (FWIW). I think it will feel a lot bigger/more open when you are standing, and will be stronger as well as lighter and easier to heat/cool than Version 1 (less surface area). Flat angular plates--she could be "the Ironclad"
vigilant1
Teardrop Builder

Postby peeler » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:25 pm

GPW wrote:That looks Really Good and best thing , it’s a practical shape for the intended purpose ... All cuts are predictable angles ... no bending worries ... :thinking: :thumbsup: 8)

Just thinking ,when cutting angles in sheets the width of the foam cut edge increases with the angle , so when joining a sheet with a lesser angle there will be some overlap of one of the edges , and that can be used for rounding over (reducing hard edges on the outside which cause vortices to form thus increasing drag ) , while slightly increasing the aerodynamics of all the rounded edges... ;)
Hint: we try to line up the inside (interior) edges ... looks better inside ... :D

I'm liking this new design better. Thank you for all of the information and feedback. One of the things that really made the foam method attractive to me, beyond the lightweight ability and familiarity, is how easy it is to add to/cut/modify the camper shell after it's built. Easy enough to cut a hole somewhere, or add a foam piece here or there, a bit of spackle maybe, some canvas and paint, done. That's really great I think for a first camper build, I try and plan well for big stuff like this, but there's sure to be tweaks and adjustments made after its built.

I think this second roof setup will work better.
peeler
Teardrop Builder

Postby peeler » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:28 pm

vigilant1 wrote:I like it (FWIW). I think it will feel a lot bigger/more open when you are standing, and will be stronger as well as lighter and easier to heat/cool than Version 1 (less surface area). Flat angular plates--she could be "the Ironclad"

I am thinking the same, it'll feel more open in there. Thanks for the feedback, and the cool photo! I had to look them up and read about them. The wonders of the internet, so much information available.
peeler
Teardrop Builder

Postby peeler » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:30 pm

Camper design #2

peeler
Teardrop Builder

Postby KCStudly » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:15 pm

It's making me think of this:
Gee Bee
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby peeler » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:55 pm

I found some of that 2 inch white EPS foamboard. GPW :D did I read correct that you used some EPS on that FoamStream? I am considering using it for walls and ceiling. Probably not for floor.
peeler
Teardrop Builder

Postby peeler » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:21 pm

peeler wrote:I found some of that 2 inch white EPS foamboard. GPW :D did I read correct that you used some EPS on that FoamStream? I am considering using it for walls and ceiling. Probably not for floor.

ehhhh..... upon further reading im pretty sure i want XPS. xps wont hold water or rot. stronger psi rate. and so on.
peeler
Teardrop Builder

Postby RRJR » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:31 am

peeler wrote:
peeler wrote:I found some of that 2 inch white EPS foamboard. GPW :D did I read correct that you used some EPS on that FoamStream? I am considering using it for walls and ceiling. Probably not for floor.

ehhhh..... upon further reading im pretty sure i want XPS. xps wont hold water or rot. stronger psi rate. and so on.

Don't be afraid of EPS. I built my trailer using 2" EPS including the floor. The EPS I used was all scrap material that I got for free. I glued the smaller pieces into full sized sheets, covered both sides with 10 oz burlap glued on with $5.00 a gallon "oops" paint,

The only place I used any plywood was on the floor, rear wall and inside of the lifting roof. The floor is 2" foam sandwiched between 3/8th" plywood with no internal framing. The inside roof panel is 1/4" birch plywood which is just more for looks than strength.

Check out my build here:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=62435
RRJR
Teardrop Builder

Postby GPW » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:48 am

We found big blocks of EPS 24” X 20” X 10’ (20bucks each) that we sliced up (hot wire) for the FoamStream .. we ended up with 24” X 3.5” X 10’ slabs that we used as the wall ,roof , etc. ... :thumbsup:
The ONE really Important thing we learned is ..... IF the foam is weaker , then make it thicker ... :thumbsup: My 3.5” thick walls are not only well insulated , they’re very Strong , especially with that 18 oz. canvas over it ... :D
Attachments
DSCF0038.JPG
DSCF0038.JPG (120.68 KiB) Viewed 567 times
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Previous

Return to Foamies