Flooring Questions/Opinions Please!

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Flooring Questions/Opinions Please!

Postby Toby » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:20 am

Alrighty! I'm getting ready to start my build at the end of the month and I still am on the fence concerning the main floor so I'm looking for opinions on this matter. I'm going to try to do this teardrop with all 2" foam except for sheet metal around hard points. It will also be a removable camper, so I can continue to use the trailer outside of camping. If the bug bites, I will consider a dedicated trailer next time

My initial plan is to use 2" green foam board for the camper floor. This floor will be sitting on the trailer rail above my storage or 'basement' space. The 'basement' is 10 inches deep. I want to reinforce the camper floor to accommodate the weight of sleeping bodies by using upright foam board supports in the 'basement'. Is this being realistic? Or should I just trash that idea and use wood (plywood) as the flooring? If I reinforce a foam floor with canvas and glue will that be enough to keep me from busting through? Thanks for your input!
Toby
Teardrop Builder

Re: Flooring Questions/Opinions Please!

Postby KCStudly » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:50 am

First let me start off by saying that so many people, myself included, start off by wanting to build a slide in or removable cabin; but then we find that these projects get a lot bigger and more complicated than we initially thought, and quickly realize that the practicality of doing so is just not that easy. The idea is that it will be convenient to switch back and forth without a lot of extra complication and effort, but it just doesn't work out that way. Yes it has been done. Yes you could make it relatively "easy", but there are design compromises that most people aren't willing to or can't logistically overcome. You have to keep the wiring, lighting and fenders separate; and you can't easily use a tongue box for your electronics or house battery.

That said, let's think about your question. For a removable cabin you need to think about how you will remove and store it.

A super light build, like an empty WAZAT can be lifted by two hardy people, but let's just assume that your build will take a little more effort; most don't end up that small and light, especially not those with basement storage. My guess is that you don't want to have to remove everything out of the basement and cabin in order to make it light enough to lift by hand.

If you plan to drag the trailer out from under it, like putting a boat onto stanchions or blocking, then the scuffed surfaces under the floor need to be pretty robust. Perhaps two or three skids (long strips) of hard wood would do the trick and stand up to that kind of wear, but then those strips will create point loads where they attach to the under side of the basement floor.

If instead you plan to use some sort of lifting device, like an a-frame hoist and straps, or jacks that attach to the side of the cabin and straddle the trailer, then whatever you use on the bottom doesn't have to be so concerned with scuffing or sliding around, but you still would have to worry about point loading if you don't have a nice flat even surface to set it on while not on the trailer. And if you have budget to build an A-frame and space to store it, then you definitely have budget and space to store a separate UT instead (see what I mean?)

For me water intrusion would be the biggest concern. I would build the bottom of the camper like a box or tub with at least a plywood floor, if not the whole tub; and then add skids underneath. Then build the cabin on top of that. You wouldn't have to use super heavy plywood if you go with corner cleats and some intermediate dividers, perhaps 3/8 thk max with 2x2 corners. I suppose you could even just skin under the bottom with ply, seal with whatever, maybe glue canvas and paint, then attach the skids; then build the sides of the tub up with foam and place a couple more hardwood rub rails near the top sides of the tub where it might contact the side rails of the trailer.

Have you seen desertmoose's build? It's not a slide out, but his design could easily be converted to one in foam and it has very practical features for sealing and access to the under cabin storage. The way he incorporated access to the front areas thru the side door openings and divided the space for organization with bulkheads that also support the cabin was genius, IMO.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:19 pm

KCStudly wrote:First let me start off by saying that so many people, myself included, start off by wanting to build a slide in or removable cabin; but then we find that these projects get a lot bigger and more complicated than we initially thought, and quickly realize that the practicality of doing so is just not that easy. The idea is that it will be convenient to switch back and forth without a lot of extra complication and effort, but it just doesn't work out that way. Yes it has been done. Yes you could make it relatively "easy", but there are design compromises that most people aren't willing to or can't logistically overcome. You have to keep the wiring, lighting and fenders separate; and you can't easily use a tongue box for your electronics or house battery.
"..................

I hit the same delemma when I planned and built my CT camper. I wanted the partitions and such removeable so I could use the trailer as a legitimate enclosed utility trailer if I needed one. But as I progressed, I found myself adding things that would be difficult to remove. So I finally just gave up and finished the rest of the project as if it were truly a one purpose trailer.
Last edited by lrrowe on Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:45 pm

And really , who can get by with just one trailer ... ??? :NC One camper and a utility trailer ... :thumbsup: I’m down to four now ... :roll:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:28 pm

2 here and 5 if I had one for each of my watercrafts.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby Toby » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:57 pm

138366 The ramp is removed.

So, I have no problem if I abandon the temporary option. I can still build into the trailer with a storage area, I think. But I still have to solve the dilemma of what the floor (sleeping) will be made of. This trailer is already heavy, 528# via the local weigh station. So keeping it light is major. I'm beginning to think that working the basement area, within the railings, with wood, maybe 1x2's and 1" foam board, and then 1/2" (or 3/4"?) for the floor.

Okay, so new plan: basement to be done with 1x2 and 1" foam board with 4-6 permanent bolts to trailer floor. Camper floor in 1/2" or 3/4" ply and 4 -6 bolts attached to the railings.

I just can't figure out how to plant the whole camper within the confines of the railings of this trailer and be able to clear entrys and exits with that railing there. Someone remind me to make sure my next one is on a flat trailer!

Or,.... maybe just cut the rails off :NC

Or,.... maybe just skip the basement and set everything on the rails. And use the space under the teardrop as needed. :thinking: I could add crossmembers for additional support.
Toby
Teardrop Builder

Postby Tomterrific » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:31 pm

Put a single door in the back and forget the built-in kitchen stuff. We use the rear entry more than the side doors on our camper. I'm thinking a design that uses the attached ramp as a porch.

T
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby lrrowe » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:02 pm

One thing many of us do is to overbuild. I do for sure. Look at what the RVs use....internal wall sections with panel plus 1" x 1" supports. (I am thinking of the bench walls and such). Looks weak and for the most part is on the weaker side of things. But it works to a degree.
Bob

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby tac422 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:54 pm

Toby wrote: This floor will be sitting on the trailer rail above my storage or 'basement' space. The 'basement' is 10 inches deep. I want to reinforce the camper floor to accommodate the weight of sleeping bodies by using upright foam board supports in the 'basement'. Is this being realistic? Or should I just trash that idea and use wood (plywood) as the flooring?

You might consider what was done on the Big Pink.
It's a light weight pine board "floor" supported by foam uprights...
You can see the rear part here...
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=56441&start=360

and the front part here, where I removed part of it...
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=56441&start=160
tac422
500 Club

Postby GPW » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:16 am

Crumbs for thought ...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby rowerwet » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:06 pm

I would use 2" foam for the floor, but skin the top with something harder like 1/8" plywood, for puncture resistance.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Return to Foamies