What is the best skin to put under canvas?

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: What is the best skin to put under canvas?

Postby GPW » Tue May 03, 2016 10:25 am

And then , consider this ... How is an airplane made ? .... not one long continuous sheet of Aluminum ... But “Plates” ( No, not dinner plates ) , sheets riveted together... :thinking:
Guess the real question is why does everything have to be so Perfect ... ? :roll:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby JaggedEdges » Tue May 03, 2016 10:26 am

Also a model plane trick, if you want filler to have about the same weight and properties as the surface you want to fill.... make it out of it... i.e. collect up your foam dust or saw dust and mix it into some glue.

I grew up in UK, so little confused as to what is meant by chipboard, which is what UK calls particle board. However reference to use in picture frames makes me think hardboard, which is like a heavy pressed cardboard... that stuff is suitable for...... mounting pictures. It will warp, swell, and roughen if you even put water based paint or glue on too heavy. Indoor use only, indoor use only away from your kitchen and bathroom.... and anywhere you might even breathe on it heavy.
Jack of all trades, Doctor of rocket surgery and fellow of the noble college of shadetree meddlers. "in argentum tenax vinculum speramus"
JaggedEdges
Teardrop Master

Postby KennethW » Tue May 03, 2016 11:17 am

In the US particle board is made with saw dust and chipboard is made with 2 inch flakes (or chips) of wood.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Tue May 03, 2016 2:26 pm

The distinction here between using it as a building material vs. a soggy mop is that it must be well waterproofed with "the mix", thinned oil based polyurethane, not water. Don't think of it as paper, think of it more like phenolic resin, where all of the fibers are encapsulated in plastic.

As to perfection; it is seldom achieved, but to each their own. If Mike wants a smooth camper (as do I) more power to him. All it takes is time and materials. I don't think we are talking glass smooth here, just nice clean lines w/o odd lumps.

Think swim suit model, not potato salad junk in the trunk. Who wouldn't want a swim suit model?
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue May 03, 2016 4:17 pm

Good point !!! Although waaay too old for a swim suit model , at least I can still look ( schmaybe’?) ... :NC
I get the point of looking good , but JMHO , at the end of the day it’s a CAMPER to drag down the highway , through dirt and forests , over bumpy trails and backwoods ... :roll: A Tent on wheels ... most people will look at it and not even realize the amazing thing you’ve done with foam and canvas (or fiberglass) ... :o

And if it’s perfect , the first scratch and you’ll "have a Cow" !!! :frightened: If mine gets damaged , I’ll just stick a simple patch on , give it a bit of paint and it’s a done deal .... fait accompli !!! ;)
To each his own !!! Good Luck , and as the Italians say “ Bone 4 Tuna “ !!! :thumbsup: 8) :beer:
Last edited by GPW on Wed May 04, 2016 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby wagondude » Tue May 03, 2016 7:28 pm

GPW wrote:I’ve just got back from looking all over and we’ve seen a strange market ..... Either you can buy chipboard in small sizes for reasonable prices , or you can buy it on giant rolls that weigh over a ton ... But nothing in between :o ... (that we’ve found as yet) I do clearly remember when I worked at a frame shop as a kid we’d frame oversize pictures and maps and we’d use chipboard as a backing , and it came in 4X8 sheets ... But that was some time ago ... :thinking:

There has to be somewhere. There is a box factory in town here that also has a packaging facility across the road. One of the things the package is dog treats (in chipboard boxes) that are then packed and shipped in corrugated display boxes. The same company has a warehouse with public sales counter for folks to buy small quantities of standard sized boxes. They also sell packing material. I haven't checked, but I would bet you could get chip board there. With shipping boxes being a regional commodity, a source almost has to be somewhere near by.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Wed May 04, 2016 6:19 am

Bill we saw chipboard on a roll , probably how it comes for box/container manufacturers... thing is , we‘d have to either build a Lot of trailers, and get a fork lift to move the roll ... :frightened:

You’re right , it’s out there , we’ve seen it ...

Brings to mind how this idea got started ... Years ago we substituted cereal box cardboard for thin plywood on our RC Airplanes... The aircraft ( model ) plywood prices were RIDICULOUS !!! ( hobby shop markups) And it worked just Fine ... :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby wagondude » Wed May 04, 2016 8:15 pm

I was just at the packaging facility today for a pickup. I didn't think to ask them if they new anything about what all was available through the walk in sales next door. I would bet that if they would sell chipboard, they would cut to some standard sizes as most folks wouldn't be coming in with a straight truck or a semi for small quantities of material.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Thu May 05, 2016 7:16 am

It would be really handy if you could buy long continuous strips off a roll ... Not restricted to just the usual lengths . :thinking: For putting under canvas it shouldn’t have to be that thick eh ??? Not like the .120" we used for ”nose cards” in the FS... :thumbsup: More the thickness of common poster-board , which could possibly come on a roll ... for manufacturing convenience. Worth checking on , as that and the canvas outer skin should impart a Great amount of Strength to the outside ... 8)

Bill, you know , a Good STORY sometimes convinces a business to help you with your goal ... These people are bored to death with the daily grind , and an interesting narrative really adds a bit of interest to an otherwise boring job (sales) ... For example , the people at the foam sales company got all excited when I showed them the plans for the FoamStream , and pictures of other Foam trailers ... I got whisked right to the bosses ‘ office so he could see them too ... They made me promise to send them pictures of the trailer when finished ... And I did ...
A story about intent and a few pictures , I’d bet they would custom cut some board for you if they can.. :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby celticquetzel » Thu May 05, 2016 7:33 am

Foam core posterboard?
celticquetzel
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Thu May 05, 2016 7:44 am

Er, NO !!! That’s just thin paper over foam .
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Alan_H » Thu May 05, 2016 12:49 pm

What about Hardboard? Found this while searching for other suppliers of chipboard... $7.98 a sheet for 4'x8'

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hardboard-Tempered-Panel-Common-1-8-in-4-ft-x-8-ft-Actual-0-115-in-x-47-7-in-x-95-7-in-832777/202046928
Alan_H
Lifetime member

Postby TheOtherSean » Thu May 05, 2016 8:32 pm

Alan_H wrote:What about Hardboard? Found this while searching for other suppliers of chipboard... $7.98 a sheet for 4'x8'

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hardboard-Tempered-Panel-Common-1-8-in-4-ft-x-8-ft-Actual-0-115-in-x-47-7-in-x-95-7-in-832777/202046928

That's what's also called Masonite (a brand name?). It is heavy stuff compared to the same thickness of plywood. It will typically have a very smooth surface on one side. But if weight is a concern, I'd rather go with 1/4" plywood than 1/8" hardboard.
TheOtherSean
The 300 Club

Postby GPW » Fri May 06, 2016 6:25 am

If you used Masonite or plywood , both would be a bit heavy for under a canvas skin . Surely a bit of overkill ... Strong for sure , but ... :roll:

Remember the Old Timers skinned their trailers with Masonite , worked for them ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Fri May 06, 2016 11:03 am

Just for fun I measured the thickness of 4 sheets of 20# paper... works out to .01475" thick per 4 sheets

Let's call it 1/64th of an inch!

What's the thinnest masonite you can get?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies