New & Reclaimed Insulation Board. Akron, Ohio

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

New & Reclaimed Insulation Board. Akron, Ohio

Postby rustytoolss » Mon May 02, 2016 4:47 pm

I just found a vender in Akron, Ohio http://www.ohioinsulationking.com. (near Chapel Hill Mall/Goodyear heights area of Akron). They sell new & reclaimed insulation board, and maybe other insulation items. I found them on craigslist. Some of their prices are $13-17 4x8x2 (contact them yourself to be sure of price , the phone number listed as per craigslist is (330)-730-6711). The say you will save 50-70% over retail. At HD a sheet of 4x8x2 pink stuff goes for $33-$34. Can add up fast.
They sell the following types of boards. Polyisocyanurate ISO board
Extruded Polystyrene XPS "blue board"
Expanded Polystyrene EPS board.
On craigslist their add also says you can purchase a 1/2 sheet, or you can buy a semi truck load !!
Since I'm new to this, I think that what normally is used is, the Extruded Polystyrene XPS "blue board". Please tell me if this is correct.
I have not been there myself, just looked at their website (not much on it), and on craigslistAkron.
This may help some of you save a few bucks. If your close to Akron, Ohio. When I get closer to building a foamy. I'll check them out.
Mostly Old Parts And Rust= MOPAR
rustytoolss
500 Club

Re: New & Reclaimed Insulation Board. Akron, Ohio

Postby GPW » Tue May 03, 2016 5:40 am

That’s a good opportunity (price ) if the foam is in good shape and clean ... You do want the Blue ( Blu) :thumbsup: ;) 8)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby rustytoolss » Tue May 03, 2016 6:17 am

GPW wrote:That’s a good opportunity (price ) if the foam is in good shape and clean ... You do want the Blue ( Blu) :thumbsup: ;) 8)

I have not been there, so I can not say about the condition of material. As for the type of foam I really don't know what to buy, when the time comes. What would you use ? I am on a tight budget, so saving money is always good. But if buying better quality (pricey) materials pays off in the long run. I would do that.
Mostly Old Parts And Rust= MOPAR
rustytoolss
500 Club

Postby mvankanan » Tue May 03, 2016 7:08 am

XPS the blue foam comes in three colors that I know about blue, pinkish, and green. I bought the pinkish from Home depot, its thicker along one edge. I think it's an extrusion problem? There's a place in Worcester Mass, Green something that sells discounted foam. I was going to buy from there but they didn't have any XPS at the time. My brother in law bought some 4" ISO foam from them, great prices. It had uneven thickness, he was told that they buy it from the manufacture, he was told that it takes awhile to get the process right, so there's a lot that doesn't meet spec, so much each run.

I'm wondering if the stuff I bought from HD was the first couple of runs that just met spec? Lowes sells the green XPS, that seemed to be better stuff, but that had a raised border all around and perhaps across the width of the board. That looked intentional maybe to help it lay flat? I had called a insulation contractor, the had something they called snap board that had partial cuts on both 16, and 24" centers. That was more expensive than Lowes or HD.

Has anybody dealt with the raised edge? It seems to be about 1/32 of an inch, could you just fill it with glue, seems expensive? I did just get some Gorilla Glue off Amazon, $34 a Quart, ouch! How about the snap board? Has anybody mixed the colors and glued them together?

Thanks Mike

I just did an edit, pretty cool I think, nice forum and congrats to whomever is responsible
mvankanan
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Tue May 03, 2016 8:26 am

First sunny day leave your foam in the sun to bake a while ... watch what happens !!! :o

Sometimes we wonder about buying large quantities of Gorilla Glue as we’ve had it get hard in the bottle before :o ... and it didn’t take that long either . So now we only buy the smaller bottles , and use it all up quickly ... ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Tue May 03, 2016 8:44 am

That would be the infamous NOLA humidity. My GG last about a year before it gels in the bottle.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Don L. » Tue May 03, 2016 9:51 pm

This is sorta related, I'm using 2" Dow xps foam for my build, it has 'scoreboard' printed on it because it has scores every 16" and 24" along the length. That is helpful if you are building a house (the board breaks along the scores) but not helpful for adding strength for a trailer. The scores are basically cuts that are about 1/2" deep on each side and that weakens the board a good bit.
If you have a choice get it without the scores. Not sure if it comes that way in the 2" stuff. I notices at Lowes the 1" board had no scores and felt pretty stiff, I think the foam itself is harder or something too.

The canvas glued on both sides does make up for the loss of strength from the scores FWIW.
Link to my foamie camper build viewtopic.php?f=55&t=67321
instagram #don_leister_violin.rva
Don L.
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Tue May 03, 2016 10:08 pm

I ordered my 1-1/2 foam from a local lumber yard and what got delivered was score board, much to my chagrin. However, other than having a little extra fairing to do where the extrusion was not flat around the scores (inconsistencies that are consistent with the foam in general), it did not prove to be an issue at all. Once the skin goes on all the foam is doing is separating the skins and providing insulation. The strength is in the skins and how far apart you separate them.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed May 04, 2016 5:41 am

Quote: “ That would be the infamous NOLA humidity. “ True Dat !!! ;)
We’ve never seen the scored foam here (yet) , shouldn’t be a problem , especially of you get it for a good price ... :thinking:

Please forgive me if I seem to dwell on saving Money !!! Just an old retired guy with Big ideas and a small budget ... :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mvankanan » Wed May 04, 2016 9:19 am

Don L. wrote:This is sorta related, I'm using 2" Dow xps foam for my build, it has 'scoreboard' printed on it because it has scores every 16" and 24" along the length. That is helpful if you are building a house (the board breaks along the scores) but not helpful for adding strength for a trailer. The scores are basically cuts that are about 1/2" deep on each side and that weakens the board a good bit.
If you have a choice get it without the scores. Not sure if it comes that way in the 2" stuff. I notices at Lowes the 1" board had no scores and felt pretty stiff, I think the foam itself is harder or something too. I thought that the Lowes board seemed harder, it's green right? Still debating where to return the HD pink stuff, I'm wondering if HD gets a deal, with less rigid specs? I called all over including Lowes for 1", they said they didn't have it! Walked through and there it was :roll: I've changed my design a bit so I think I might be better off with the 2" since I will have a removable or hinged panel in two places. Would like 1.5" but can only seem to get that in the 2x8' T&G.

The canvas glued on both sides does make up for the loss of strength from the scores FWIW.

Tried the edit yesterday, now the color! What's next?
mvankanan
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mvankanan » Wed May 04, 2016 9:33 am

GPW wrote:Quote: “ That would be the infamous NOLA humidity. “ True Dat !!! ;)
We’ve never seen the scored foam here (yet) , shouldn’t be a problem , especially of you get it for a good price ... :thinking:

Please forgive me if I seem to dwell on saving Money !!! Just an old retired guy with Big ideas and a small budget ... :roll:

Hey I'm also all about saving money, says another old retired guy. I'm starting to feel the expense and I'm not even really building yet. I'm spending to much just on wood to try and model. Did score some 2.5 x 3.5 x 1/8" square Aluminum tubing to build the rack for the rear, three 8' pieces for $20 each. It will cost some to weld it but it should save 15-20 lbs. I'm going to fab it and wire it together and bring it over.

I'm going to go with auto glass for the second windshield, I'll have to get that cut, and it will be flat :cry: sure wish I could find a car windshield 44" wide. I didn't realize that all auto glass isn't laminated, just the windshield? I almost bought a side door window out of a mini van, could of got one for $40 plus the still good weather striping.
mvankanan
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KCStudly » Wed May 04, 2016 2:24 pm

There are several different weights (or grades) of XPS. The most common are the kind that is intended for above grade wall and ceiling insulation and the kind that is intended to go below grade or in contact with concrete pours, such as for an insulated slab or foundation wall.

Here is a link to a spec sheet that includes the Foamular brands of Owens Corning (pink). The most common that I see at big box stores are Foamular 150 (1.30 lbs/ft^3, 15 psi yield) and 250 (1.55 lbs/ft^3, 25 psi yield). It's printed right on the board.

I'm sure that the other color brands have similar spec sheets available.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby mvankanan » Wed May 04, 2016 2:51 pm

KCStudly wrote:There are several different weights (or grades) of XPS. The most common are the kind that is intended for above grade wall and ceiling insulation and the kind that is intended to go below grade or in contact with concrete pours, such as for an insulated slab or foundation wall.

Here is a link to a spec sheet that includes the Foamular brands of Owens Corning (pink). The most common that I see at big box stores are Foamular 150 (1.30 lbs/ft^3, 15 psi yield) and 250 (1.55 lbs/ft^3, 25 psi yield). It's printed right on the board.

Mine says 250, and it's snap board, I'll think I might return it.

I'm sure that the other color brands have similar spec sheets available.
mvankanan
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Foamies