rock and a hard place, financially challenged, limited use

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

rock and a hard place, financially challenged, limited use

Postby rustytoolss » Wed May 04, 2016 1:08 pm

So here's my deal. I've got a street rod (1946 Dodge dumpbed pickup). :thumbsup: , And I go to 2 weekend events each year (fri-sun). I have a instant popup dome tent sleeps 2 about 54" high. I'm almost 60 :shock: , Seams like most time at these shows it rains :thumbdown: , which sucks in a tent.
I would like to build a TTT standy (if I build, I want to be able to stand up). And as for me at 60 , I really am getting to old for sleeping in a pup tent.
But being retired and on a tight budget, makes the realty of building a camper a tough call. Theres a chance at some point I may go to more events in the future (unsure). But at this point I have to ask myself... If I plan to continue to go to these events for the next 8-15 years (if I live that long :worship: ). Do I really still want to keep sleeping in a kiddy tent ? :oops:
So I'm cought between limited funds, and building something that will only get used about 2 weekends a year. :roll: :NC :thinking:
Tough spending $1000-1500 buck on something that will only see limited use. :frightened:
With all that being said. I do continue to plan a build, ask questions etc. After all planning, and being on this website does not cost me any money....not until I start buying materials. Then all bets are off. :applause: 8)
Mostly Old Parts And Rust= MOPAR
rustytoolss
500 Club

Re: rock and a hard place, financially challenged, limited u

Postby wagondude » Wed May 04, 2016 8:03 pm

rustytoolss wrote:So here's my deal. I've got a street rod (1946 Dodge dumpbed pickup). :thumbsup: , And I go to 2 weekend events each year (fri-sun).

Tough spending $1000-1500 buck on something that will only see limited use. :frightened:

Perspective: How much have you spent on the '46 Dodge for the limited amount of use it gets? Makes $1500 seem a lot more reasonable, doesn't it? Or is the Dodge a daily driver?
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rustytoolss » Wed May 04, 2016 8:29 pm

Your point well take. But the 46 dodge was bought 12 years ago, when I had a good job and not living on SS. Back then I did not have to be quite as concerned about my spending habits as I do today. And your right , the truck does get limited use. But it is paid for. And only costs me insurance and tags, and of course gasoline. I think my only way to build a TTT , is to gather items when I can get them cheaply. And go from there. :NC
rustytoolss
500 Club

Postby ghcoe » Wed May 04, 2016 10:15 pm

Can you build a camper for your dump bed? It would cut down on the cost of a trailer?

You could build a basic foamie with 4 walls, roof, floor and a Harbor Freight trailer (on sale) for around $500.00. Then you could add on extras at a later date. Of course that would be only one door and no windows.....
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Thu May 05, 2016 6:48 am

QUOTE: “ Tough spending $1000-1500 buck on something that will only see limited use “ ... Rusty , you married ... ??? :o :R :lol: :lol: :lol:
As you probably already know (by reading the Big Thread :roll: ) , one of the main GOALS of a Foamie is THRIFTY ... If you plan ahead and do a bit of salvage , you can cut those prices in half ... or as you said " I think my only way to build a TTT , is to gather items when I can get them cheaply. And go from there. “ That’s the SENSIBLE way to build. ;)

Best find another use for it ... Multitasking? Perhaps a small office for quiet work (nap) , a rolling Sports Bar, place to put the Mother in Law whilst visiting ... or just Storage ??? ... something eh? :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby rustytoolss » Thu May 05, 2016 10:21 am

All good ideas. I probably should have not spilled my financial/usage issues on to you guys. As it's a personal problem . And yes I'm married. So money spent on a trailer, at some point may have been needed for something more important for home life. But all of that does not change the fact. That if I continue to keep going to these events over the next 10 or so years. I really , don't want to be doing it in a tent. :thumbdown:
rustytoolss
500 Club

Postby GPW » Thu May 05, 2016 11:15 am

Not to worry , we’re all on a budget ... :thumbsup: ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby JaggedEdges » Thu May 05, 2016 12:10 pm

Apart from the rain, if it's not "cold" weather when you go, skip the built up wall with insulation, just use a self supporting thickness of ply. If it can live in a garage, skip "skinning" it per se, just use a fabric tape, glue or paint soaked to seal seams and give it multi coats of exterior paint (Used for ply boats in 50s before stitch and glue with fibreglass and resin became popular) . Then just concentrate at first on having a "hard tent" meaning leave the cabinets and kitchen until later, use what you've been using to camp. Then as the years go by you can fit it out as funds and desires permit.

Even if you decide later it was a mistake not skinning it, or not insulating it, you can find a way to do it later, might mean you have to deal with putting the interior cladding in in small panels, rather than as whole or large parts of 8x4s, but it could be done.

Me, I might end up cutting holes for windows I want, but can't find the cash for, and rigging temporary wiley windows with whatever flat panel material is to hand, ply, coroplast even, just to cover the opening for now and provide ventilation, even if I can't see through them at the moment.
Jack of all trades, Doctor of rocket surgery and fellow of the noble college of shadetree meddlers. "in argentum tenax vinculum speramus"
JaggedEdges
Teardrop Master

Postby rustytoolss » Thu May 05, 2016 12:31 pm

GPW wrote:Not to worry , we’re all on a budget ... :thumbsup: ;)

Thanks, I know I'm not the only one with money concerns. As for my wife. She's very understanding. Sometimes too understanding. It was her idea to by the 46 Dodge. But the problem with being so understanding is, she does not think ahead. I'm always thinking of "what if". What if the roof needs replaced, furnace, etc. you know what I mean. She would tell me to build a trailer. She thinks of me first. I have to think of what's needed for "US". That does not mean I will give up on a TTT. Just have to find a way to justify the money/use issue. I will make this happen ! :thumbsup:
Last edited by rustytoolss on Thu May 05, 2016 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rustytoolss
500 Club

Postby GPW » Thu May 05, 2016 12:39 pm

Money is just money , you can’t eat it , or camp in it ... and the system is designed so you’ll never have enough of it ... on the other hand a Foamie is a cheap investment in the future , and if you build it a little at a time , you’re never much out of pocket and still have enough left over for a tin of fish for the Cat ... ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby wagondude » Thu May 05, 2016 8:26 pm

You sound much like me. I have lots of "wants" and lots of "needs". Guess which ones win out in the end. My wife has to practically bully me into buying something I want. And by the time I give in, what I want changes. Like the canoe in the back yard instead of the big nice fishing boat. It's all good in the end. Things have a way of working out.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rustytoolss » Fri May 06, 2016 3:13 pm

wagondude wrote:You sound much like me. I have lots of "wants" and lots of "needs". Guess which ones win out in the end. My wife has to practically bully me into buying something I want. And by the time I give in, what I want changes. Like the canoe in the back yard instead of the big nice fishing boat. It's all good in the end. Things have a way of working out.

I just looked at your profile, "fishing/camping/cars are my interest all of which I do not have time or money for" ! :lol: :lol: , We may be related !! :NC But in my case I do have the "TIME". :thumbsup:
rustytoolss
500 Club

Postby GPW » Sat May 07, 2016 7:08 am

Enough time for Salvage !!!!!
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tomterrific » Sat May 07, 2016 7:20 am

Where are you located? Do you need your camper to look slick or is rustic OK? You can buy a used HF trailer and install a floor. Look for an old fence being taken down, cedar boards are best for light weight. Use these boards installed upright to the base/floor. Cut the top profile for the roof and use inexpensive corrugated roofing. Frame out the doors and window openings and cut right from the side. Low cost, looks cool with the vintage truck.

T
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby Redneck Teepee » Sat May 07, 2016 10:16 am

Tomterrific wrote:Where are you located? Do you need your camper to look slick or is rustic OK? You can buy a used HF trailer and install a floor. Look for an old fence being taken down, cedar boards are best for light weight. Use these boards installed upright to the base/floor. Cut the top profile for the roof and use inexpensive corrugated roofing. Frame out the doors and window openings and cut right from the side. Low cost, looks cool with the vintage truck.

T

Tomterrific is right, nothing wrong with a functional low budget project :thumbsup:

I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Next

Return to Foamies