New Idea and Layout

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

New Idea and Layout

Postby peeler » Wed May 04, 2016 4:55 pm

So I cooked up a different plan, not much interior detail on this drawing, The trailer's interior is 60" wide, making for a 60"x80" (Queen Size) bed. Maybe make a shoe box somewhere in the floor for sitting up with a small table. I'm thinking a pass-through bar between the galley and camper, kitchen / galley off the back end, and up at the front, some more storage space/cubbies/shelves.

The "SunHopper" http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=22856 is the source of much inspiration for this design. Also I did grab the generic benroy plans, and used a bit of them for reference.

peeler
Teardrop Builder

Re: New Idea and Layout

Postby GPW » Thu May 05, 2016 7:30 am

Looks like a Good plan , No curves so should be really easy to build !!! :thumbsup: 8) :D
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby lthomas987 » Thu May 05, 2016 1:46 pm

That looks great. Also the corners will be easy to canvas! I like the plan.
Laura
Bike-Drop a Micro-Foamy Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=59274
My first Superlegarra-ish Foamy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=59049
lthomas987
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Thu May 05, 2016 2:48 pm

A word of advice, make the 60 inch dimension your outside overall. I am building 64 wide to allow for a true queen size mattress, and it would have been plenty big enough to cut down a queen size foam to fit the slightly narrower size. As it worked out I could have been much more efficient with materials if I had stuck to 60 inches.

The first time I heard this advice was either too late for me (or I just didn't listen... :roll: ), but knowing what I know now, I would have never missed the extra 4 inches. In fact I could have used a narrower axle and the track width would have been that much closer to my Jeep's; I might not be having to build custom fenders due to the extra space from the longer axle, and on and on. 60 inch canvas cost less than 72 inch (FG cloth only comes 60 wide), etc., etc.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby peeler » Thu May 05, 2016 4:01 pm

Thank you all for the feedback! :thumbsup:

I'll add the rest of the plans when i get them sketched.
AND This kerfing process doesn't look too hard.....I am still considering doing the teardrop style roof.
Life has currently set other priorities for us, and so the actual build wont be for at least another month. That's okay though, I think it's given me a lot of time to learn more, and I have mostly decided that, for us, having room to stand inside is just not that important. The galley off the back is really a super efficient design.

After I build my first, there will for sure be that list of "things I would do different next time". And I anticipate that and am ok with that. And I see no reason not to try and plan as much as possible, and minimize that list.

The kitchen off the back looks to make for LOTS more room. Also the lower height of the camper brings it down so that its just about the same height as our minivan (a 3rd generation Dodge Grand Caravan0.

KC Thank you for the advice on the 60 inches. I am not sure how much it will or wont apply to me. Something tells me it will apply more than i realize at this point. I already have the trailer I plan on using, It's the one Northern Tool sells, their 5x8, that has an overall wheel width of about 72 inches total. The trailer wheels will track right in the footprints of the van's tires (at least when going straight) as theyre about the same width. I may end up adding a bit of length to the tongue of the trailer, and I'll grab a small welder if I need to, been wanting a new one for awhile. I had originally considered going even wider, and then backed down to the 60 inch interior width for the purposes of it fitting a standard mattress. I will end up having to cut up the mattress to facilitate the shoe box, and possible storage areas under the bed also. I hadn't thought about it from a materials point of view, and I will do that. The axle is already 6 foot wide on the trailer though, I don't know how that weighs in to it. And sincerely I am open to having it explained to me... sometimes I'm a bit slower on the uptake than most. But it comes out in the wash as they say.

Ive been collecting supplies, I have 3 big canvases from HF, i snagged 200 food skewers for $2 at the dollar store, also grabbed a gallon of titebond 2. Eh... theres a couple other things I know I grabbed when they were on sale / HF coupons.. i forget what. But building up the supplies.

I still have not found any XPS foam thicker than half inch, but I can easily acquire EPS in any size needed up to 2 inches thick. I'm fairly comfortable with the idea of using it, as I do plan to have some wood in there too for the doors and roof vents, and also for ceiling support. I haven't quite figured out how exactly to get a bit of a curve to the roof panels so they are more self-supportive and less likely to sag, but I've got a couple ideas.
peeler
Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Thu May 05, 2016 4:03 pm

I imagine you guys have already seen this... just some ideas to simplify your design...

viewtopic.php?p=1136101#p1136101

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby peeler » Thu May 05, 2016 4:18 pm

mikeschn wrote:I imagine you guys have already seen this... just some ideas to simplify your design...

viewtopic.php?p=1136101#p1136101

Mike...

Nice - thank you!
peeler
Teardrop Builder

Return to Foamies