Generic foamie plans

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Generic foamie plans

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:45 am

KC,

That sounds like a good idea. I'll have to dust off my CAD program and lay it out and see how it looks.

I'm looking for the simplest construction possible, but weather tight. And I think that requires a seal of some kind.

Probably the only thing on the other side of that blue foam piece is a counter top, maybe a cabinet of some kind.

Maybe I'll try dropping that 25 degree slope all the way down to the bottom and see if I can get a couple cabinets or drawers in low.

Okay, here is the simplification of the back end. It still looks like an awful lot of 25° cuts on the table saw...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:09 pm

Okay, here's a question for you guys...

To build the rear end of a 2" thick foamie, what is easier?

1) build the box, measure 4" from the back end and cut off. That becomes the hatch...

or

2) build the box open in the back, build a hatch with 2" ribs around the perimeter

The model is not quite done but you get the idea...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:52 am

Okay, here's what I've come up with so far...

The counter top edge is even with the edge of the opening...

And here's the rain gutter!

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby KCStudly » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:20 am

:thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:14 pm

Glen, KC, This question got lost... so time to bring it back to the front... What's the best way to build the hatch?

Mike...

mikeschn wrote:Okay, here's a question for you guys...

To build the rear end of a 2" thick foamie, what is easier?

1) build the box, measure 4" from the back end and cut off. That becomes the hatch...

or

2) build the box open in the back, build a hatch with 2" ribs around the perimeter

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:18 am

“ What's the best way to build the hatch? “ …. JMHO , not at all !!! :o
If we only consider “tradition” , then a hatch (galley) is an essential part of a TD design … But if we consider practicality , then a hatch isn’t as necessary , and quite frankly fraught with inherent problems that come with it ( hinging-sealing ) … We never much cared for the idea of a “ Swiss Army Knife “ style camper , (or RV) where everything in your home was crammed in a space the size of your home bathroom closet …. But it’s all a matter of what YOU want eh … We’re all different , and that’s Cool !!! ;) 8)

EDit: Ya’ gotta’ remember , we camped till we were 50 in an old BS Pup tent ( or a Van ) … Spartan …
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:49 am

I tend to like crisp lines and a little more 'fit and finish' than what a pure foamie tends to offer (I guess that is part of what drove me to go with FG/epoxy), so I might not be the right person to ask. Having said that, I think building the hatch separately and fitting the two together gives more opportunity to optimize the fit.

In the scenario of building the box and cutting the hatch off, only to put it back on, I can imagine having trouble cutting nice straight lines (due to it being in awkward position and/or hard to clamp a straight edge guide to). Then if you try to true up the cut lines you are removing material that you, potentially, can't afford to lose.

Whereas if you build them separately, you can work on the bench (or, in your case, the CNC router) to get good straight cut lines, or even leave extra material to work back to a good fit.

$0.02
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:08 am

The more we learn , the more we realize that “one size fits all” …. really doesn’t , does it ?? And that applies to pretty much Everything if you think about it ?

“ Generic” ends up being the result of the well intended (hopefully) thoughts and efforts of a very few, brought to production, and marketed as suitable for Everyone .( “ all” ) … but ends up there are always a lot of things that just don’t quite fit the needs and tastes of each and every user …
Just like the idea /concept of a Foamie maybe isn’t for everybody . :thinking: Sometimes appearance overshadows practicality … sometime the opposite . If we all agreed on everything , we’d have had a solid generic trailer years ago … ( and probably little to talk about now )

JMHO, ( again) It seems the best “generic" things allow a lot of flexibility in the design to be able to accommodate a larger range of different taste/needs. A “simple" vessel that can be fitted for specific taste and purpose … Basically a box with a lot of accessories , as exemplified by such familiar names as Kirby , Kitchen Aid, and Swiss Army . :lol: The problem is , finding “Simple” is not so easy … probably a Lot more difficult than over complicating the heck out of everything …

*** The real problem is that all of the many attempts at building a Foamie here on this Forum , have been completely successful , making it extremely difficult to narrow it down to a few principles…or something “generic” .

Think about the guy that invented the Pup tent …. Now that was “Generic “ … and SIMPLE …
Last edited by GPW on Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:11 am

One cannot argue with Success !!! :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:14 am

OK, here’s my little idea ... A generic “Rib" , that can be used for the development of a front profile or cross section … It’s not a semi circular shape , more part Oval … The drawings are pretty much self explanatory … just crumbs for thought … :thinking:
Attachments
Adam's Rib .png
Adam's Rib .png (42.96 KiB) Viewed 1536 times
Adam's Rib 2.png
Adam's Rib 2.png (47 KiB) Viewed 1536 times
Adam's Rib 3.png
Adam's Rib 3.png (48.94 KiB) Viewed 1536 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:41 am

Even makes a Cute Canned Ham … :D
Attachments
AR4.png
AR4.png (63.18 KiB) Viewed 1523 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Generic foamie plans

Postby Ned B » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:36 am

Catching up...

Mike, re the hatch vs body 'issue'; I am planning on building the box and then fitting the hatch to the box much easier to adjust the dimensions on the smaller item. I really like your Integrated drip rail!

Gpw , Every trailer is unique on a Homebuilt scale the generic and are a starting point The rest is built to fit the individual of course! The "Adam's rib" is excellent I really like how the curve changes.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:01 pm

Thanks Ned, just trying to think out the box , but still be practical ( sorta’)
We only need to go out to our automotive vehicles and examine the doors,and trunk lid … All, when in working order manage to do a really good job of keeping the water out , even at highway speeds. Rubber gasket on a raised channel , full contact with the opposing surface ( like the gasket in a Mason jar ) … AND enough pressure when closing to slightly compress the gasket ,thereby sealing the “hatch” all around … JMHO Not that easy without some backyard engineering … :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby rowerwet » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:25 pm

Personally, I built my foamie as one whole thing, then cut the hatch off afterwards. That way I knew it was an exact fit. I do the same thing for my doors, I have a template shape I like, I trace it onto the wall, and cut along the lines.
the easiest way to cut foam IMO is using a hand drywall saw. It is extra coarse for a good cut, but stiff enough to make straight edges following the lines I snapped with a chalk line.
After I cut the hatch loose I added internal frames and attachment points for the props, latches and lights.

You can clamp or screw a board next to the cut to ensure a straight line, I used an aluminum level.
You could also cut a 24 to the angle you want for the lower edge, then use that as an angle guide and straight edge.
Just be sure to laminate that beveled lip with plywood to protect it.
I glued plywood to the cut faces of the hatch and tear, then used the hand power plane to match the edges and round the corners slightly.
I created the integral drip rail and galley opening frame out of wood on my tear so that the live plastic hinge would have no weight on it when the hatch was shut.
When the hatch is shut it sits on the top lip of the flange, and both sides of the hatch are also tight to the sides of the lip. This has proven to be enough of a seal for me.
I don't sand my foam, instead I use the wallpaper perforater on all surfaces
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:05 am

“ I don't sand my foam, instead I use the wallpaper perforater on all surfaces “ … Row , that sounds very interesting. Trying to visualize . :thinking:

JMHO ( once again :roll: ) Thinking a Generic Foamie should be above all things, SIMPLE . A standard shape , easy to reproduce , easy to add on to if desired. We still like the Weekender , with a flat ish’ back and a doors . No hatch to seal or figure out , and no curves to kerf and bend … With the right angles it can be just as aerodynamic as a curved one … or close . ;) And with doors , you can carry more foam , or plywood , or whatever you need to carry . ( Multitasking in the modern world ) Gotta’ pickup a lawnmower for Grandma, bring the trailer , pick up wood for another project , bring the trailer … a little mini kitchen is Cute , but should be removable ( or hinged to swing out of the way ) .

I keep coming back to something like this , with a simpler angled front . EASY ! 12162
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies