Generic foamie plans

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Generic foamie plans

Postby ghcoe » Sun May 22, 2016 3:29 pm

Socal Tom wrote:I see it like this.... The generic plans are a starting point for people who want to build a foamy. Leaving a couple of swinging doors at the back, and the underneath storage is probably the easiest, simplest way to build it. However people can choose to add a full swing up hatch, or a short hatch, or no galley area what so ever. You can look at how people have modified taken the Generic Benroy plans and modified them to work with they way they want. But my suggestion is to make the plans for simple version. People with limited skills and tools won't be scared away, and those with greater skills and tools can easily collect the information they want from other builds, and just modify the basic plans. Personally If I were building one it would look more like the Mad Dash.
Tom

Sorry, I was just giving my reason for wanting a galley not that I am against no galley. It just works for me. So galley option is in for me..... :thumbsup:

I agree. Simple is better with two or three options for the more adventuresome or experienced builder. 4'x8' floor on a HF trailer in shape of box with door, useful, simple, but ugly. For some that may be all that is needed. Make plans modular so people can pick and choose what they are capable of. With foam I think this is easy since it is so easy to work with. Nothing a steak knife can't fix... :thumbsup:
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun May 22, 2016 5:51 pm

Okay, I hear you loud and clear...

The generic foamie shall be a simple affair, with the option to make it a complicated affair! :D

So once I get the complicated affair figured out, I'll remove some options and make it nice and simple.

You guys are a good design review team! :thumbsup:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby rowerwet » Sun May 22, 2016 7:02 pm

GPW wrote:Once again , the use of common Doors protected by a slight overhang ( no hatch ) eliminates many of the hatch questions/problems that have plagued Teardrop trailers from inception. We’re trying to think of designs that aren’t just a repeat of former problems ... right ???
And , we build for our needs ... I for one have Never gone camping so I can cook big meals ... :roll:
Note: If you live in an area that never rains , then build whatever you want and don’t worry about a thing ... A Luxury we do not have here... :rainy:

It rains quite often here, and snows also.
I designed the Mercury hatch to be leak free without a seal, just like the wiley window works, and like my leak proof doors.
the galley opening is framed with a lip extending back. The hatch shuts over this lip, and is supported by it when shut. Any water that could come in will land on the lip and run down and out.
At the top, I ran the roof fabric right over the hinge, the hinge doesn't even get wet.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon May 23, 2016 6:34 am

Ugly ??? Tents are ugly ( at least my old BS Pup tent ) ... If it’s Ugly , just means you haven’t found the right paint job yet ... :lol:

Simple with options ... That’ll work !!! :thumbsup: You know , everybody is going to add their own individual touches anyway , so best they understand the principle of Simple first ... :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Mon May 23, 2016 4:07 pm

Rowerwet,

I went through your album and looked at all your pics, and I can't find the lip that you speak of.

Could you possibly run out and open your hatch and take a picture of the lip?

Mike...

rowerwet wrote:I designed the Mercury hatch to be leak free without a seal, just like the wiley window works, and like my leak proof doors.
the galley opening is framed with a lip extending back. The hatch shuts over this lip, and is supported by it when shut. Any water that could come in will land on the lip and run down and out.
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby jjoelc » Tue May 24, 2016 5:53 pm

How about a "spoiler" lip on both the body of the trailer and the lid of the galley, which meet together when the lid is open, sealing together...

Something like:
with some weather stripping on the underside of the body "spoiler" if needed. The idea is to create a little "hingeport" or roof over the hinge when the galley is open.

p.s. - HI! I'm jjoelc. Newbie, but have been lurking for a while :-)
jjoelc
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rowerwet » Wed May 25, 2016 4:39 am

If you look at the double spar with the plastic bag between them, they become the galley hatch spar and aft spar, by cutting between them.
Glue bolts hold the galley door frame deep into the foam, then the lip is glued and nailed on.
The sealing surface of the hatch is hatch is faced with plywood, then wrapped.

Since this foam hatch is so light, it doesn't need any gas struts, and mine is 6+feet wide. At 4 or 5 wide it will weigh even less. I just use my simple prop rods, which double as restraints for heavy gear on the bottom shelf
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Wed May 25, 2016 6:27 pm

Okay, I can't understand the theory based on the pics you've posted...

Meanwhile, I'm brewing some thoughts of my own...

So I'm thinking, if the hatch has a lip on it...

and the opening for the galley has an inside lip on it...

would that be enough to keep it water tight?

I know, you can't see that... hold on, let me do a quick paint image
Okay, I'm back...

Foamie Lip... what do you guys think?

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby rowerwet » Wed May 25, 2016 6:34 pm

142010 The two spars before the cut. Install the galley hatch skin now.
Snapparently chalk lines from the spar gap to the bottom corner of the galley opening.

Cut along the chalk lines, this will be the hatch seam seam.

I then cut back the teardrop wall ends to fit a 1x3 vertically flat, framing the galley opening like a door frame in a house.
Add the ledge to the inside face of the frame to make a lip.

Put the hatch in place, it will be aligned and supported by the ledge /lip. Install the hinge.

I faced the seam faces on the hatch with thin plywood, then wrapped it all before hanging it.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby ghcoe » Wed May 25, 2016 9:56 pm

mikeschn wrote:Okay, I can't understand the theory based on the pics you've posted...

Meanwhile, I'm brewing some thoughts of my own...

So I'm thinking, if the hatch has a lip on it...

and the opening for the galley has an inside lip on it...

would that be enough to keep it water tight?

Mike...

Hope so. That is pretty close to what I did. I added a gutter to the top "sub roof" to divert any water that may get by the hinge to the sides. The side panels have the same profile as the hatch to allow for a second sealing location along the profile.

DSCF4060.JPG
Galley
DSCF4060.JPG (157.33 KiB) Viewed 1273 times

DSCF2130 small.jpg
Hatch and galley
DSCF2130 small.jpg (132.48 KiB) Viewed 1273 times
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu May 26, 2016 1:52 am

Ah yes! Perfect ghcoe!!! I'm going to propose something very similar for the generic foamie, as an option of course!

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Thu May 26, 2016 7:48 am

Options are the path to success , so everybody can follow their individual dreams ... JMHO It’s the choices we make that define us ... and our trailers ... 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sat May 28, 2016 4:42 pm

Okay, the vision has become clear.

I just need time to sit down in front of my CAD computer to try it and see if it looks as good on the screen as it does in my mind!!! :? :lol:

I"m hoping to get a shot at it Sunday or Monday...

Keep your fingers crossed...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:36 pm

Wow, been so busy lately... finally had a chance to look at the head clearance issue...

As you can see, this is the head banger issue that was brought up by rowerwet

This style is not a head banger, but has increased potential for leakage... My newest design seeks to eliminate that potential.... (once I have time to draw it up!)

It's going to be another busy day tomorrow, gotta get the inside of the hatch painted, and then get all the furniture installed in the Mad Dash...

Not sure if I can work on the new design this weekend... :cry:

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:02 am

Picture that Dan cam posted... The sheltered door... Aerodynamic too ..
Attachments
Sheltered door .png
Sheltered door .png (224.86 KiB) Viewed 799 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies