FYI: Foam suppliers in Austin, TX area

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: FYI: Foam suppliers in Austin, TX area

Postby PaulC » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:35 am

There's none so blind, as those who cannot see. Check your PM GPW
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby Dan242 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:59 pm

TeriL wrote:
My conclusion was to laminate 2 sheets of 3/4" from the "home improvement" stores. About $30 for 1-1/2" thick after laminating. Didn't count the cost of epoxy. Wouldn't really trust any other glue. If you wanted to hot wire the foam to shape, it would have be done before laminating.

For me, the only justification for foam is the insulation value and/or light weight.
Ok, I am in San Antonio, finally getting to top of trailer construction phase. Thinking laminating 2 sheets of 3/4" foam will be my main material. What kind of glue and what problems did you deal with? Did you have to keep weight on it? I'm thinking a sheet of 1/2 ply with jugs of water or other heavy objects should work?
As of now, not sure what outside covering will be (wood/ canvas/roadkill hides?) , same for inside (paint/ wood/ butterfly wings?) . But thinking 1.5' foam will be best bang for buck for sides. Just curious on glueing method and glue
Dan242
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:50 pm

I did my roof and hatch in two layers of 3/4 foam. Never again. It was twice as much work fitting and kerfing and I did have issues picking the best glue and techniques (in hindsight epoxy would have probably been better).

It would be much less effort and less materials consumed to kerf thicker material and do it in one shot.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Foamies