FYI: Foam suppliers in Austin, TX area

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: FYI: Foam suppliers in Austin, TX area

Postby GPW » Sun May 22, 2016 8:27 am

Solar panels ... no eye deer !!! ... :NC But somebody knows ...

Ken , only the ridiculously fashionable have dark colored vehicles around here :roll: ... You can BAKE cookies in a dark car in the summer here ... True !!! They don’t brown, but they bake ... I can only imagine in the SouthWest part of the country ... :o
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KennethW » Sun May 22, 2016 8:35 am

Remember black vinyl seats wearing shorts ? :frightened:
May not be brown but your legs will be red. :o
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby TeriL » Sun May 22, 2016 10:24 am

GPW wrote:Lets’ not get carried away with technical information .. We’re not a military contractor with billions of dollars of other peoples money to play with ... Think CAMPER ...

What is wrong with technical information? Does technical information hurt your brain?

I'm not a military contractor but we can learn something from all our money they spend.

And Yes , HD and Loews are USELESS to try and order foam from ... ( Oh we’ve tried ) Better Luck at Building suppliers , Foundation suppliers , or even consult the Foam manufacturer .... Dow has a site that finds a distributor close to you ...

Even their web site is largely useless. I just use it for a baseline, lowest common denominator.

And then again , if you live in Austin (yuppie cowboy land), just pay for the foam ... You’re a Texan and have lots of money ... Everything is BIG in Texas right ??? :roll:

Your prejudice is showing. I'm retired on a limited income.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of BIG things in Texas, mainly lies, exaggerations and bigger idiots!
Our reach should exceed our grasp or what is a heaven for? -- Marshall McLuhan
TeriL
Teardrop Advisor

Postby TeriL » Sun May 22, 2016 10:31 am

KennethW wrote:Remember black vinyl seats wearing shorts ? :frightened:
May not be brown but your legs will be red. :o

I just can't understand people (almost always a male) here buying black cars! With black interiors too!

I guess macho == stupid.

-- Teri
TeriL
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Mon May 23, 2016 7:00 am

“Your prejudice is showing. I'm retired on a limited income.” .... Hey T, that’s Me too !!! ;) I lived in Texas for several years , well not really Texas , but Houston :R ... To me real Texans lived out in the country and were good people :thumbsup: ... Everybody in Houston was from somewhere else ( Imported non-Texans) :roll: By the time we visited Austin , the yuppies had already taken over ... pastel colored buildings , health food restaurants, and earth shoe shops... :duh: Naturally I was up there to paint the beautiful rugged landscapes so had to get out of town anyway ... :thumbsup:

Here’s an idea , Put a WANTED ad in the local papers , and on craig’s list ... " Want Foam , Will Travel” ... :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Kags1969 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:25 pm

Maybe we could set up a 1.5" - 2" group buy - order at pallet and split it among 4 - 5 people? There is like 48 sheets to a pallet no?
Kags1969
Teardrop Inspector

Postby TeriL » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:23 pm

The prices I was quoted were still expensive.

My conclusion was to laminate 2 sheets of 3/4" from the "home improvement" stores. About $30 for 1-1/2" thick after laminating. Didn't count the cost of epoxy. Wouldn't really trust any other glue. If you wanted to hot wire the foam to shape, it would have be done before laminating.

Splitting a pallet requires people being within reasonable driving distance of each other.

For me, the only justification for foam is the insulation value and/or light weight. If that was not a consideration, the frame and plywood method makes more sense here in Texas with regard to cost. Sorry GPW for raining on your parade.

Kags1969 wrote:Maybe we could set up a 1.5" - 2" group buy - order at pallet and split it among 4 - 5 people? There is like 48 sheets to a pallet no?
TeriL
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:35 am

Not my parade ... We‘ve tolerated naysayers from the very beginning .... Nobody’s twisting your arm ... :R
Ever think a Foamie may NOT be your kind of trailer ... They are mostly for younger people with an open mind and a spirit of adventure...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby TeriL » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:33 pm

GPW,
GPW wrote:Not my parade ... We‘ve tolerated naysayers from the very beginning

I'm not a nasayer. Just reporting the FACTS for other builders in Central Texas. You're the one not tolerant of the facts.
.... Nobody’s twisting your arm ... :R

I NEVER said anyone was twisting my arm.
Adding an emoticon doesn't disguise your snide comment.
Ever think a Foamie may NOT be your kind of trailer ...

Again, you're reading more into my FACTS than what I said.
You're the one pushing foam for anything and everything regardless of the facts and engineering.
They are mostly for younger people with an open mind and a spirit of adventure...

That's extremely insulting. Your mind is like an already closed bear trap. Foam in spite of economics or any other good reason is your thinking. Your statement implies younger people are stupid about economics.

You owe me an apology, but I don't expect one considering your closed mind.

You seem to think you invented the foam construction method and want to claim credit.
Foam for real airplanes was used before you found out other people were using it in toy airplanes. You, being an artist apparently have an inferiority complex about people with technical knowledge and facts.

Keep digging a hole for yourself while in it and disappear from my thread on foam availability here in Texas. Or you can just read the subject line and my ORIGINAL message again. I was simply reporting my findings for other builders in Central Texas before you had to insert yourself as the FOAM god. They can decide on the economics for themselves.

TeriL
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:45 pm

Teril, why don't save your rants and name calling for facebook , we're more a FAMILY outfit here ... :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby PaulC » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:26 pm

Both of you better start toeing the line. One rule here, no fighting. I see fighting and threads get closed and people take holidays.
Just saying.

Paul
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby eaglesdare » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:12 pm

I am a little late to the party.

Paul is 100% correct here. NO FIGHTING!
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:29 pm

Takes two to make a fight ... All we did was state our opinion and saw nothing but childish insults , name calling and false accusations ... You’re Right !!! No place for that here... :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby PaulC » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:57 pm

Very sage words from the instigator, in my opinion. It does take two and you were not backing down. As I said, any more and the holiday season will come early.

Paul.
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby GPW » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:15 am

Paul, if after 10 years here trying my very best to Help people and come up with new ideas to save people trouble and money , If this is all the support and backup we get , then please be so good as to do your worst ... I’m sure that would make the other party very happy ... :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies